Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
SAM 0371

Default LOC K-Load questions.

Hello all.

For some reason yours truly is looking to get his L2 again. I have been waffling back and forth over how to do so and it has occured to be that I have always wanted to build/fly a K-Load.

I know that Ron designed the orginal to use original long-burning 98MM AeroTech K's, and I would plan on using either the K458 or maybe even better yet the L400.

Questions-

Is the K-Load's external dimensions identical to the Magnum?
Were the fins plywood or FG? What thickness?
Am I nuts, or would that 12 second burn L400 look kickin in this rocket?

Thanks in advance fellow nerds.

Jason
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Blatz
I have been waffling back and forth over how to do so and it has occured to be that I have always wanted to build/fly a K-Load.
Hi, Jason,

Is the K-Load out of production? I can't find it on LOC's website nor on Google nor rocketreviews.com .

Can you give us a link or maybe a pic? Thanks.

BTW, the 12-second burn sounds like a blast, but recovery will require some serious tracking

Doug
YORF member #11
Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM
The_Ripper

Jason,

Questions-

Yes ..... K-Load was BT-5.38 airframe

FG. Not sure what thickness.

You're not nuts. Love those old long burn motors. Remember the K125 ..... wasn't that like a 20 second burn?

I used to have a sheet from Ron with the Loc Custom Engineering kits I'll have to see if I can dig it out. May have been posted in one of the old Tripolitan issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Blatz
Hello all.

For some reason yours truly is looking to get his L2 again. I have been waffling back and forth over how to do so and it has occured to be that I have always wanted to build/fly a K-Load.

I know that Ron designed the orginal to use original long-burning 98MM AeroTech K's, and I would plan on using either the K458 or maybe even better yet the L400.

Questions-

Thanks in advance fellow nerds.

Jason
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
SAM 0371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Hi, Jason,

Is the K-Load out of production? I can't find it on LOC's website nor on Google nor rocketreviews.com .

Can you give us a link or maybe a pic? Thanks.

BTW, the 12-second burn sounds like a blast, but recovery will require some serious tracking

Doug

Yeah, it's long OOP. I have the Tripolitan with orignal write-up, I will dig it up and post the article for posterity.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
SAM 0371

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Jason,

Questions-

Yes ..... K-Load was BT-5.38 airframe

FG. Not sure what thickness.

You're not nuts. Love those old long burn motors. Remember the K125 ..... wasn't that like a 20 second burn?

I used to have a sheet from Ron with the Loc Custom Engineering kits I'll have to see if I can dig it out. May have been posted in one of the old Tripolitan issues as well.

Steve -

I remembered it being 5.38". I think the fins looked very similiar to the Magnum fins. I am hoping that is the case, and further, I dig the idea of using 1/4" ply fins and just dumb old wood glue and foam to hold them on. I'd bet that this rocket will not ever move too fast on either of the motors that I am interested in using, but of course will sim it out before any purchases.

I do remember the K125....talk about a motor that you had to custom built the rocket for. Light, light, light. Mike and Jerry Vaughan used to fly those out at Black Rock in the early nineties. I think they used motor ejection...that part was a little sketch .

Jason
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Scott Pearce flew a modified K-Load kit (He named it the 'M-Load') at LDRS-8 with an AeroTech 98mm 'M' motor and a Sony videocamera in a payload section.

The rocket came apart in flight when the coupler between the booster and the payload section failed.

The camera was smashed on impact but we managed to get the videocasette out of the camera. The tape was damaged but we did get about 5-10 seconds of flight footage.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Love those old long burn motors. Remember the K125 ..... wasn't that like a 20 second burn?

The K125 was about a 20 second burn motor. Too bad it couldn't lift much weight.

A White Lightning version of the same motor,a K215, was flown by me in a minimum diameter nine-foot tall rocket at LDRS-8. It was a great flight, 12 second burn time! Better yet, the model was recovered and returned to me.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
SAM 0371

I dug through my pile of Tripolitans and found the original write up on the kit. It is indeed the same length and diameter as the Magnum but uses a fiberglass fin of a different shape than the Magnum. And of course, it has a big old motor mount.

Anyone who'd like the article, let me know and I will email it to you....file size too large to post here.

L400 sounds good doesn't it ?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

OLD thread - relevent because I just retrieved my not-yet-finished-rebuild parts from the old shed

My original kit was torn up at a RATS launch on an old ACS L911 ( single grain full progressive sledghammer ). no glass on the bird, came apart at aprox mach 1.4 as per the Olsen recording altimeter.
A rebuild was damaged severly by a 75 x 3500 John Ritz Red motor at a BRS exp launch years back .

Going to rebuild this, and maybe do my own Level 2 recert ( due to laspe ), thinking the L339 N

Jason, if you still want info drop me aline, I have the specs and fin patterns for the 1/8" G10 fins.

look forward to being back. missed my rocket buds.

~ AL Swackhammer

Tripoli 090

cert level '0'

Ps: just finished watchign part of the Rocketman video of the Mypower 97 NSL launch, which features my K-Load on, indeed, the K458 reload, killer motor for this bird
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
OLD thread - relevent because I just retrieved my not-yet-finished-rebuild parts from the old shed

My original kit was torn up at a RATS launch on an old ACS L911 ( single grain full progressive sledghammer ). no glass on the bird, came apart at aprox mach 1.4 as per the Olsen recording altimeter.
A rebuild was damaged severly by a 75 x 3500 John Ritz Red motor at a BRS exp launch years back .

Going to rebuild this, and maybe do my own Level 2 recert ( due to laspe ), thinking the L339 N

Jason, if you still want info drop me aline, I have the specs and fin patterns for the 1/8" G10 fins.

look forward to being back. missed my rocket buds.

~ AL Swackhammer

Tripoli 090

cert level '0'

Ps: just finished watchign part of the Rocketman video of the Mypower 97 NSL launch, which features my K-Load on, indeed, the K458 reload, killer motor for this bird

Al,

PM sent. I'd be interested in the specs and fin patterns for the 1/8" G10 fins. I may still have your email address but it's been a while so I wasn't sure if that was still valid.

Thanks!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates