Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default Why Not Paint in Winter?

I have seen frequent references in various threads to waiting for warmer weather to paint a rocket. But it seems to me that winter offers some compelling advantages............

The air is usually dry..........no worries about condensation.

It's cold out, so the effect of cold spray as a result of sudden expansion from the spray nozzle is less significant (again, relates to condensation of moisture in the air).

NO BUGS! So you don't get any unwanted visitors dropping in to mar a perfect finish.

Drying time will likely be increased (not necessarily a disadvantage, especially when there are no bugs around) due to the low temperature, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to bring the rocket indoors until the paint had thoroughly dried, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a shed where it would be safe for a few hours.

So, comments? Has anyone got experience painting rockets outdoors in cold weather? Pros and cons?

Joe
Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Dazed and Confused

Shouldn't a guy from Canada be giving information on anything dealing with cold weather instead of asking for it?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Master Modeler

I paint no matter what the season. The trick to painting in cold weather is to make sure you keep your paint cans inside where it is warm until ready to use. After spraying outside, I let is set up in the cold garage for an hour or so. After that I bring the rocket inside that warm house and let it finish drying there. I repeat this procedure and many time as I have to. Works great.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I have seen frequent references in various threads to waiting for warmer weather to paint a rocket. But it seems to me that winter offers some compelling advantages............

The air is usually dry..........no worries about condensation.

It's cold out, so the effect of cold spray as a result of sudden expansion from the spray nozzle is less significant (again, relates to condensation of moisture in the air).

NO BUGS! So you don't get any unwanted visitors dropping in to mar a perfect finish.

Drying time will likely be increased (not necessarily a disadvantage, especially when there are no bugs around) due to the low temperature, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to bring the rocket indoors until the paint had thoroughly dried, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a shed where it would be safe for a few hours.

So, comments? Has anyone got experience painting rockets outdoors in cold weather? Pros and cons?

Joe
Joe,

I have sprayed in a cold garage on many occasions. My usual procedure is to warm the paint by placing the cans in a sauce pan of hot water. Sometimes, when the can is low, I need to place a weight on it to keep it from floating

I run my jet heater to warm the garage, then turn it off and shoot the first coat. (Needless to say, it's not wise to shoot paint with a jet flame in the room ) After the first coat has set for 10 minutes or so, I apply the second. By then, my leaky garage has already cooled considerably, but I've not suffered any ill effects from that (that I noticed). I do take the painted parts into the house to dry over night. They bring a little odor with them, but most of the vapors stay in the garage.

I do prefer painting when it's a bit warmer. However, sometimes, if you're gonna get it done, you must paint under less perfect conditions. And so far, I've had good results doing it this way.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

The biggest problem I have with painting in the winter is that it's too dark when I get home from work. And, I'm down south. I can't imagine how bad it is for those who suffer even shorter periods of sunshine during the day! :-)

-- Roger
Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

It's just too much trouble, honestly. If the temperature outside isn't at least 60 degrees F, I'm not even going to try.

Plenty of other things to do when it's cold. Like build more of those kits I have piled up in the closet...
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Master Modeler

Just did on Sunday, temp in the low 20's.

I just step out in the backyard, spray a quick coat, duck back inside until it tacks up, repeat.

Works fine for me.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Master Modeler

One advantage in using an airbrush and acrylic paints is that you can paint indoors all year around. I live in an apartment and use an airbrush compressor that is very quiet. the airbrush give better control over the amount of overspray and using acrylics, there is not of those noxious fumes (although GH loves the fumes of noxious paints!)
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
One advantage in using an airbrush and acrylic paints is that you can paint indoors all year around. I live in an apartment and use an airbrush compressor that is very quiet. the airbrush give better control over the amount of overspray and using acrylics, there is not of those noxious fumes (although GH loves the fumes of noxious paints!)

Very true - and with acrylics, you can use a large cardboard box without an exhaust fan for a paint booth to control the overspray. Plus, I think acrylics give a better finish as well. Of course, YMMV.

Greg
Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

No Organic chemical vapors (noxious fumes)= NO PAINT in my shop, period.
Water-based finishing methods SUCK, period.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !