Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM
frustrated aero

Thanks Frank, they are beautiful. I am glad these have a home now, so you don't have to keep emailing them out. I got mine yesterday. Wish I had them when I was building my 1/100 Saturn 1B clone, I could have scaled these down and saved some time!
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 11-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Master Modeler

Thought I would share this new drawing I finish for a different style 1/70 Saturn 1B transition wrap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LEM Shroud transition copy_edited-1 copy.compressed.pdf (113.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Old BAR

Very nice! I copied and printed several.

Appreciate it much!

Allen
Old 11-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Master Modeler

On my way to Florida, I would stop at the rest area as you go into Alabama and study the Saturn 1b they have there. I notice there were light gray patterns around the transition. I did this pattern just to give anyone who might use these wraps a choice. It gives it a weathered look.

Glad you liked it Jetlag.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
On my way to Florida, I would stop at the rest area as you go into Alabama and study the Saturn 1b they have there. I notice there were light gray patterns around the transition. I did this pattern just to give anyone who might use these wraps a choice. It gives it a weathered look.

Beware of using that particular S-1B as a scale reference, as the second stage is mounted (wait for it!) upside down.

It is real hardware, but somehow was bolted together entirely wrong.

James
Old 11-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Beware of using that particular S-1B as a scale reference, as the second stage is mounted (wait for it!) upside down.

James
Here's a pic of that one.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  sat1B-bama-state-line2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  173.0 KB  
YORF member #11
Old 11-05-2016, 10:37 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero

James

They did it that way for the display, I'm not entirely sure why... some sort of technical reason I'm sure. Maybe they didn't have the interstage or something??

At any rate, while an interesting display article constructed of actual surplus stages, I wouldn't rely on it for any kind of "scale information".

It is in the process of being restored... we stopped by there back in July on our way home from Indiana-- the bottom of the rocket was roped off and lots of drop cloth hanging around and scaffolding up for sandblasting/stripping/grinding off old paint and decades of bird poop and repainting. Glad to see they're actually making the effort to restore and maintain this noble bird.

Space vehicles don't fare well outside-- they're simply too fragile and too easily corroded by the substances present in the natural environment (water, bird poop, etc) and sunlight and weather DEFINITELY take their toll. I was mortified the last time I was at USSRC in Huntsville-- they'd moved their beautifully restored V-2, which used to be in a "Mittelwerk" type display inside, out into the capricious northern Alabama weather. Just while we were there, it came a typical summer thunderstorm which deluged the rocket-- laying on it's side in the open air. After the storm we went out to take photos while the "rocket garden" was still fairly cool and unoccupied, and water was literally POURING out of the seams between the fin section and the fuel/oxidizer tanks... I just shook my head because it won't last long like that... humidity inside the rocket body from evaporating rainwater will begin attacking EVERYTHING in very short order. Their Skylab simulator has literally rotted away-- there were holes rusted in it big enough to stick your head through... very shameful to allow our history to simply rot away like that...

Later! OL J R
Old 11-17-2016, 10:02 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
They did it that way for the display, I'm not entirely sure why... some sort of technical reason I'm sure. Maybe they didn't have the interstage or something??

At any rate, while an interesting display article constructed of actual surplus stages, I wouldn't rely on it for any kind of "scale information".

It is in the process of being restored... we stopped by there back in July on our way home from Indiana-- the bottom of the rocket was roped off and lots of drop cloth hanging around and scaffolding up for sandblasting/stripping/grinding off old paint and decades of bird poop and repainting. Glad to see they're actually making the effort to restore and maintain this noble bird.

Space vehicles don't fare well outside-- they're simply too fragile and too easily corroded by the substances present in the natural environment (water, bird poop, etc) and sunlight and weather DEFINITELY take their toll. I was mortified the last time I was at USSRC in Huntsville-- they'd moved their beautifully restored V-2, which used to be in a "Mittelwerk" type display inside, out into the capricious northern Alabama weather. Just while we were there, it came a typical summer thunderstorm which deluged the rocket-- laying on it's side in the open air. After the storm we went out to take photos while the "rocket garden" was still fairly cool and unoccupied, and water was literally POURING out of the seams between the fin section and the fuel/oxidizer tanks... I just shook my head because it won't last long like that... humidity inside the rocket body from evaporating rainwater will begin attacking EVERYTHING in very short order. Their Skylab simulator has literally rotted away-- there were holes rusted in it big enough to stick your head through... very shameful to allow our history to simply rot away like that...

Later! OL J R

That V2 was outside (next to the Saturn 1) for many years (it was outside at least from '91 - my first trip there - to '99 - the last time I was there). You could see the many layers of paint (on that, and all the smaller rockets, as well as some Bondo patches). The Nike-Ajax had big chunks patched; the Honest John had a big dent in the nose cone as well as one of the fins.
When they started to restore the Saturn V 500F, which had been outside for at least 25 years, John Pursley posted pictures of bird and animal nests inside the thing, not to mention large areas of rust and mineral deposits.

Oh, and in 1999 when I went by the Saturn IB on I-65, you could walk under it, but you really didn't want to because of all the guano around it.

And I think George Gassaway pointed out that there were non-scale access doors mounted in various places along the second stage and spacecraft so that workers could climb the thing and replace the signal light at the top of the escape tower.

Last edited by Royatl : 11-20-2016 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:14 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Was just in Huntsville last month and couldn't believe the poor condition of most of the rockets that were displayed outside. I'm sure the funding isn't there for restoration right now, but they need to do some mitigation right now to keep the damage from getting worse. Heck, even some caulk in the joints to keep water out would help.

The entrance fee was quite high considering most of the interior displays were being refurbished too.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

There's no point in restoring them now. It's too late. It would be better to build 100% scale models.