Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate
I have the exact same plans sheet as Earl. I think my Centuri T-Bird from this era came with the booster and 2nd stage engine mounts pre assembled right in the sealed kit bag.

Larry B
Interesting! I picked up an open bag Arcon-Hi from this era (roll pattern header card), and the mounts were already in, so I simply assumed the owner had partially built it.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The Arcon-Hi I purchased in the spring of 1970 came with the engine mounts installed.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile
The Arcon-Hi I purchased in the spring of 1970 came with the engine mounts installed.

Not to pull the thread too far off topic, but do you recall which shock cord mount that kit used when you purchased it? Was it the 'Mylar ring' method, or did yours contain the then new metallic foil self-adhesive anchor?

I know the latter was introduced by Centuri in 1970 at some point, but I've been trying to pin point when that year...I believe it was sometime by early summer that year, but am not sure.

Let me know, if you can recall. I know that's only been 44 years ago....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-30-2014, 08:32 PM
BAR

So, got a brief start on the build today. It's more or less by the book, except for the first stage. Here are the Semroc parts, with a big pile of laser-cut fins! On to the first stage, just 4 parts instead of the original 7. The motor tube, instead of a 3" ST-7, is a 2.5" ST-9, with aft thrust ring. It needs to be short to allow room for the 1" ST-10 coupler. No pass-port on this stage.

Progress on this build may be slow, with other builds still needing work, and flying season being upon us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  P3301232_2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  79.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P3301233_2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  63.7 KB  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Master Modeler

Very cool. I've never seen a built T-Bird and this thread has piqued my interest. I really like the style of Centuri's stager fins and this model has a whole bunch. The fin discussion was enlightening. Looking forward to your build. This'll be an interesting thread to watch.

Last edited by foamy : 03-31-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I get the gist of your 24mm 1st stage booster (C11-0) from your photo. Are you also considering using a 24mm D12-0 at all for some of your flights?

Larry B
Old 04-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Centuri KC-3 Archon-Hi plans sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Here's a couple shots (didn't have time for formal scans) of the 1965 version of the T-Bird instructions.

As can be seen in these images, the fins do not feature the forward strakes, even though the catalog art continued to show forward strakes all the way until the 1972 catalog. I do kinda like those Centuri classic strakes.

Earl

Earl,
Looks like your Centuri KC-9 Instruction sheet is in better condition than mine. Hopefully you can get good scans and send them to Scott.
I found a photo copy of the Centuri KC-3 Arcon-Hi kit instructions from this same era. I do believe I have the original KC-3 Archon-Hi Instructions (mid 60's) put away here somewhere. When I find them, I will be more than glad to get them scanned and the scans sent to Scott if they are needed.

Larry B
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 PM
BAR

Quote:
I get the gist of your 24mm 1st stage booster (C11-0) from your photo. Are you also considering using a 24mm D12-0 at all for some of your flights?

Larry B
Hmm, I doubt it; While I haven't run a sim yet, even a C11-0/A8-0/A8-5 will probably get high enough for the LPR fields I fly at. Unless, of course, it gets so beat up that I want to send it on one last glory flight; That's kind of fun sometimes.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 PM
BAR

So, had a little time tonight in between watching sap boil, so put together the motor mount of the 2nd stage.

This stage is similar to the original design, with dual-coupler pass-port staging to the 3rd stage. The aft end, though, gets different treatment. Since the 1st stage doesn't have the HTC-7B vented coupler to aid in staging, I used a TR-7 engine block (1/2" long) instead of a TB-7 (3/16" long). This hangs out the back, and fits snug in the top 1/4" of the booster motor, giving a more solid connection, which will hopefully improve staging reliability.

Lastly, since there will be more flame hitting this stage than from an 18mm booster, I added a 1/2" RR-7 (retaining ring that fits over ST-7) to the aft end of the 2nd stage ST-7 motor tube, to help it last more flights.

The HTC-10 couplers are a very loose fit in the ST-10 tubes, and will require some tape for a good fit.

First pic, all the parts for 2nd stage. Second pic, partially completed 2nd stage. Last pic, completed 1st & 2nd stage motor tubes, along with a C11-0.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  P4011233.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  77.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P4011234.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  66.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P4011235.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  66.7 KB  
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Earl,
Looks like your Centuri KC-9 Instruction sheet is in better condition than mine. Hopefully you can get good scans and send them to Scott.
I found a photo copy of the Centuri KC-3 Arcon-Hi kit instructions from this same era. I do believe I have the original KC-3 Archon-Hi Instructions (mid 60's) put away here somewhere. When I find them, I will be more than glad to get them scanned and the scans sent to Scott if they are needed.

Larry B

I have a copy of the early Arcon-Hi instructions, but they are a bit rough. Same basic style as the T-Bird instructions I posted above, which I believe was the general Centuri format from about '65 until around '68 or so.

In the late 60s and early 70s some Centuri instructions underwent two and three successive revisions in a very short time as improvements such as plastic nosecones, die-cut fins, improved shock cord mounts, and baffle ejection all were introduced at very close intervals.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970