Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

We really hate to send first-time customers to Wal-Mart to by an Estes starter set. I understand that Estes sells them to Wal-Mart for $8.05. It is impossible for a US company to compete with that.

So.. we will have to compete with quality and durability. The launch pad and controller are the most expensive parts to build. We still do not have a good solution.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-21-2007, 10:17 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We really hate to send first-time customers to Wal-Mart to by an Estes starter set. I understand that Estes sells them to Wal-Mart for $8.05. It is impossible for a US company to compete with that.

So.. we will have to compete with quality and durability. The launch pad and controller are the most expensive parts to build. We still do not have a good solution.

I know I suggested a cheap tripod, but this is one area where tooling for plastic may be absolutely necessary. Does anyone think a milled wood launch pad could have the appeal today that it had back in the late 60s?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Always up for a challenge

There could be a way to limit the amount of plastic components needed by making a plastic hub that would have 3-4 aluminum tube legs that could snap into it. Could put small plastic or rubber caps on the end of the aluminum tubes that rest on the ground. This might give it a look of durability and toughness over the cheap plastic Estes version.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeIV
There could be a way to limit the amount of plastic components needed by making a plastic hub that would have 3-4 aluminum tube legs that could snap into it. Could put small plastic or rubber caps on the end of the aluminum tubes that rest on the ground. This might give it a look of durability and toughness over the cheap plastic Estes version.

If the legs were 40" long, you could also use them to store launch rods in. Only thought I have about this is Quest has or had a similar design. I don't have one myself, so I don't know how well they were made.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
If the legs were 40" long, you could also use them to store launch rods in. Only thought I have about this is Quest has or had a similar design. I don't have one myself, so I don't know how well they were made.

You could also put 2 - 24" legs together with a coupler to store the launch rods in. The coupler could also be used as a spacer on the top of the launch pad to hold the blast deflector up off the launch pad.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
You could also put 2 - 24" legs together with a coupler to store the launch rods in. The coupler could also be used as a spacer on the top of the launch pad to hold the blast deflector up off the launch pad.

Good thought. Also, make the legs 25", and you can store a one-piece 48" rod for larger/heavier models.

If we used two sets of these (making a 4-leg pad), and had a solid center section of about 18", you could attach two launch rod holders -- one at each end. Have the blast deflectors similar to the old curved type, and have the exhaust vectored outward.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw

My mother found a Quest starter set at a yard sell and, knowing my interest (as opposed to fervor) of rockets, bought it for me ($1, including an Estes ARTF, motors and glue). I'd never seen a Quest pad until then. It's similar to using 3/4" or 1" PVC. Three legs slide into the rod holder section that accepts the three legs at 90 degree angles (like inside corner of a box). A hole is centered perpendicular (okay, straight up) with the intersection of the legs for the launch rod. I've never used it (preferring my camera tripod launcher). The legs are about 12" long. But, now that I think about it, someone could use the inside corner of a box for a launch pad (as long as you have a GOOD blast deflector ("fire loves paper")
Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
My mother found a Quest starter set at a yard sell and, knowing my interest (as opposed to fervor) of rockets, bought it for me ($1, including an Estes ARTF, motors and glue). I'd never seen a Quest pad until then. It's similar to using 3/4" or 1" PVC. Three legs slide into the rod holder section that accepts the three legs at 90 degree angles (like inside corner of a box). A hole is centered perpendicular (okay, straight up) with the intersection of the legs for the launch rod. I've never used it (preferring my camera tripod launcher). The legs are about 12" long. But, now that I think about it, someone could use the inside corner of a box for a launch pad (as long as you have a GOOD blast deflector ("fire loves paper")

Pads with PVC legs are pretty strong too. I've seen a few of those I think from Impulse Aerospace before they made the Quad-Pods with aluminum legs. Those were nice pads.

I agree. I still think a camera tripod is an inexpensive solution. All you would need is a block drilled for the rod sizes and the 1/4-20 screw that would normally screw into the bottom of the camera would screw into the bottom of the block. With a two way or three way pan head it's already made to be adjustable and the legs collapse into themselves for storage and lock when out. A quick search turned up this one from Slik for $20 and it will hold up to 3.3 lbs.

http://tinyurl.com/yrd7ww

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 01-22-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Launch Pad Concept

Here is a simple launch pad concept that would require a minimum amount of tooling cost. You could make a mold for 1/2 of the top piece and put two of them together to form the top. Add some hardware as shown and you have made it adjustable enough so that you could use 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" rods in it. If you use wing nuts, everything could be assembled pretty easily in the field. The pictures below show 4 – 5/8 diameter aluminum tubes being used as legs. They can come off and be put together with a coupler to form your rod holder, as long as you put some caps on the bottom ends. These tubes would only need to be cut to length and have 1 hole drilled in one end so that it can be attached to the pad base. I’d be happy to continue on with this concept with you if you are interested. (I could also get some budgetary tooling and molding cost if interested.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  pad-1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  23.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  pad-2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  51.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  pad-3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  71.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  pad-4.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  28.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  pad-5.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  39.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  pad-6.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  40.7 KB  
Old 01-23-2007, 12:44 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Here is a simple launch pad concept that would require a minimum amount of tooling cost. You could make a mold for 1/2 of the top piece and put two of them together to form the top.

Another way to manufacture this would be to cast a very simple shape with no details, then remove the excess with a CNC mill. It needs a tilt plate...

Quote:
...The pictures below show 4 – 5/8 diameter aluminum tubes being used as legs. They can come off and be put together with a coupler to form your rod holder, as long as you put some caps on the bottom ends. These tubes would only need to be cut to length and have 1 hole drilled in one end so that it can be attached to the pad base....

Using aluminum, I'd include an insert at the attachment end to increase the wall thickness. These are obviously going to be a thin-wall tube for keeping the carry-weight down; that will be the first area to receive damage from over-tightening of the bolts.

I might also suggest using larger-diameter tubing, say 1" diameter, especially if these are two-piece legs. Small-diameter legs will have some flexibility without adaquate bracing, and that's something we need to prevent.

You know, what you've designed here has a close resemblence to the decent stage of the Apollo LM. Perhaps if you could add the same (or similar) bracing to the legs to prevent wobble, and instead of simple plastic (or aluminum) end caps for the legs, make them a little larger and give them the appearance of those landing pads...

So, maybe that would require two castings -- one for the base and one for the foot...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635