Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Always up for a challenge

I forgot about the tilt. I'll have to think about that a bit.

Quote:
Using aluminum, I'd include an insert at the attachment end to increase the wall thickness. These are obviously going to be a thin-wall tube for keeping the carry-weight down; that will be the first area to receive damage from over-tightening of the bolts.

Quote:
end caps for the legs, make them a little larger and give them the appearance of those landing pads...

Could add the tube wall inserts and the landing pads for the legs to the mold that makes the main pad section and make all the parts together in one shot. This would save some of the production cost.

I'll work on adding the 1" tubes and a tilt mechanism.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeIV
...Could add the tube wall inserts and the landing pads for the legs to the mold that makes the main pad section and make all the parts together in one shot. This would save some of the production cost...

If you add the tube reinforcement to the base itself, you've just eliminated any chance of it having a folding capability. It would simplify manufacturing, but it conversely complicates the user's duty load. It means the user has to fully assemble and disassembly the unit each time.

ADDENDUM: Oops, I read your post wrong. Sorry. You were only talking about using one casting to get all of the parts from, not making the attachment pieces permenantly attached to the base.

ADDENDUM 2: Cast one base half, two leg attachments, and two feet as a single aluminum pour. Anyone got their Dave Gingery books handy?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Always up for a challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
ADDENDUM 2: Cast one base half, two leg attachments, and two feet as a single aluminum pour. Anyone got their Dave Gingery books handy?

That is what I was thinking of for my initial concept, but it depends on how creative we can get to incorporate the tilt feature.

If you were to injection mold it, everything would be able to be cut into a set of aluminum mold inserts with a CNC machine except for the cross holes. You could then take these inserts and have them added to a used mold base. The cross holes for the bolts would have to be drilled after the parts were molded. This would keep the tooling cost down on the mold.

What if you were able to loosen up two of the leg attachement bolts and be able to extend two of the legs out a little further, then tighten them back up? This would be a simple way to be able to adjust the rod angle. You should be able to keep the unit stable if you add the inserts in the top of the leg tubes so that you could tighten it down some.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeIV
That is what I was thinking of for my initial concept, but it depends on how creative we can get to incorporate the tilt feature.

If you were to injection mold it, everything would be able to be cut into a set of aluminum mold inserts with a CNC machine except for the cross holes. You could then take these inserts and have them added to a used mold base. The cross holes for the bolts would have to be drilled after the parts were molded. This would keep the tooling cost down on the mold.

What if you were able to loosen up two of the leg attachement bolts and be able to extend two of the legs out a little further, then tighten them back up? This would be a simple way to be able to adjust the rod angle. You should be able to keep the unit stable if you add the inserts in the top of the leg tubes so that you could tighten it down some.

For CNC milling, the piece has to be moved at least once during the process to finish the drilling. This could be done by hand, or by the CNC machine itself if the casting is mounted on an automated base. Now, if we made the base as a single piece, you could eliminate this step. You would also eliminate any loosening of the pieces when setting it up or moving it around. Casting and milling a single piece would be no different in the way it's drilled out.

For a tilt-pan movement, take a look at DirecTV dish mounts. A single vertical post for rotation with some sort of lock-down mechanism takes care of the pan function; a simple horizontal pivot at the bottom with a threaded rod and knob about 3" above the pivot to set the tilt.

Of course, you could start out with a slab of aluminum and just mill it out. The feet and attachment inserts could be milled from (drum roll please...) BAR stock (rimshot...)...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Launch Controllers

The best-looking LC was the old Solar Controller. What I would like to see is a simple hand unit of similar shape and proportion, but without the battery compartment. I think a separate, small 12v rechargeable gel cell would be a better choice. It has the kick to fire the igniter quickly, and the depth of amps needed for clusters.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The best-looking LC was the old Solar Controller. What I would like to see is a simple hand unit of similar shape and proportion, but without the battery compartment. I think a separate, small 12v rechargeable gel cell would be a better choice. It has the kick to fire the igniter quickly, and the depth of amps needed for clusters.

Totally agree with the Solar LC being the coolest (of the internal battery controllers). I've collected a few and would love to make a digital conversion of one from the plans in an old issue of AMSPAM.

For external power source LC's I really loved the Centuri Lectra Lines when I was a kid, but they were never in the hobby shops. I've got a bid on one now on ebay praying I don't get sniped.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
For external power source LC's I really loved the Centuri Lectra Lines when I was a kid, but they were never in the hobby shops. I've got a bid on one now on ebay praying I don't get sniped.

Yes, the Lectra Line controller was cool. I still have my original from around '69 along with the LIA-77 launch pad I got to go with it. About six or seven years ago I bought the Centuri "Professional" controller (all metal box) from Matt Steele. That's slick as well.

The other design I thought was neat was the old MPC controller. Kind of reminded me of the old slot car controller grips.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-26-2007, 10:48 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Hmm....I dunno 'bout that Lectra-Line controller on ebay.
I just may HAVE to "snipe" that one.....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-26-2007, 12:21 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
The other design I thought was neat was the old MPC controller. Kind of reminded me of the old slot car controller grips.

Isn't that what Quest is using today? Or something like it?

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Isn't that what Quest is using today? Or something like it?

I dunno. Never looked at the Quest equipment.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558