Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2020, 12:49 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Randolph Mantooth in every scene of the show always has a look on his face like he just POOPED HIS PANTS AGAIN !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-17-2020, 03:34 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Randolph Mantooth in every scene of the show always has a look on his face like he just POOPED HIS PANTS AGAIN !
That's funny GH. I have HULU. I'll have to look tonight and see if I can find these old shows. I know they have a couple of channels that show old movies and TV shows I'm just not sure it's MeTV in my area or what it's called. I'm fairly new to HULU.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-17-2020, 04:02 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Emergency is on COZI TV at 12 noon and 1pm EDT M-F.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Take note for any classic TV show shown on television these days. A good 10 minutes of one hours shows are chopped out in order to run the commercial times we have today. If you watch it on Cozi, or when it was on MeTV, TVLand or other channels, you sometimes miss key aspects of the show. When the show was made in the 70's, you had about 9 minutes of commercials. Today you have about 19 minutes of commercials.

Emergency! was on Netflix for a few years at full length until about a year ago. I have all the episodes on DVD, so the few times I've watched it on classic tv stations I've noticed the stuff that was missing.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Watching the first episode of EMERGENCY! on MeTV.
Even in THIS episode, Randolph Mantooth has a look on his face that says "Yep, I just CRAPPED my pants AGAIN !"
How did this clown ever get cast for ANYTHING ???
Dawg-Crapp awful actor....
While I enjoyed EMERGENCY!, it wasn't exactly an accurate "portray-er" of model rocketry as a safe, educational hobby... My father never could get into the show (for the same reason Carl Sagan couldn't enjoy Star Trek), although he tried; being a Fire Chief, he couldn't get past the errors they portrayed, with the result that he couldn't "suspend his disbelief" and just enjoy the show.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
While I enjoyed EMERGENCY!, it wasn't exactly an accurate "portray-er" of model rocketry as a safe, educational hobby... My father never could get into the show (for the same reason Carl Sagan couldn't enjoy Star Trek), although he tried; being a Fire Chief, he couldn't get past the errors they portrayed, with the result that he couldn't "suspend his disbelief" and just enjoy the show.

As bad as it was, it was more accurate than today's shows. Chicago Fire's first episode showed them stabilizing a car hanging over a bridge with a strut that can only push on the car, not pull it back. And those horrible masks made so that you can see their whole faces....terrible! It only got worse, and it was purely a soap opera anyway, so I stopped watching it. Same goes for the knockoffs on the other channels.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Take note for any classic TV show shown on television these days. A good 10 minutes of one hours shows are chopped out in order to run the commercial times we have today. If you watch it on Cozi, or when it was on MeTV, TVLand or other channels, you sometimes miss key aspects of the show. When the show was made in the 70's, you had about 9 minutes of commercials. Today you have about 19 minutes of commercials.

Emergency! was on Netflix for a few years at full length until about a year ago. I have all the episodes on DVD, so the few times I've watched it on classic tv stations I've noticed the stuff that was missing.
What jars me--and, I suspect, most ~35+ year-old viewers--about today's TV programs is that they film scenes with the assumption (probably correct, sadly) that most of the viewers have mosquito-like attention spans. You can really tell by watching a decades-old, long-running show (like a soap opera, such as "As the World Turns") that's still producing new episodes today. Now:

Back in the 1970s through the 1990s (when I saw it, because my late mother watched it), scenes lasted a good five minutes each before they changed. I happened to catch it relatively recently in a clinic waiting room on their wall TV, and the scenes were changing every 90 seconds or so! The result was that little dialogue--which is what creates the tension in a drama--was spoken. The original "Star Trek" episodes--and even the 1970s animated series, which was aimed specifically at kids--had long scenes with well-crafted, drama-generating dialogue.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-19-2020, 01:27 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
What jars me--and, I suspect, most ~35+ year-old viewers--about today's TV programs is that they film scenes with the assumption (probably correct, sadly) that most of the viewers have mosquito-like attention spans. You can really tell by watching a decades-old, long-running show (like a soap opera, such as "As the World Turns") that's still producing new episodes today. Now:

Back in the 1970s through the 1990s (when I saw it, because my late mother watched it), scenes lasted a good five minutes each before they changed. I happened to catch it relatively recently in a clinic waiting room on their wall TV, and the scenes were changing every 90 seconds or so! The result was that little dialogue--which is what creates the tension in a drama--was spoken. The original "Star Trek" episodes--and even the 1970s animated series, which was aimed specifically at kids--had long scenes with well-crafted, drama-generating dialogue.

Well, back then people had BRAINS and knew how to use them LOL OL J R
Old 07-19-2020, 12:44 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Emergency is on COZI TV at 12 noon and 1pm EDT M-F.
Cool ... COZI TV I have access to. I'll have to set my DVR to catch it during the week.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-19-2020, 01:11 PM
Master Modeler

If y'all want a fun/crappy police comedy/drama/satire from that era,
check out Sledge Hammer on YouTube. That was a fun show to
watch back in the day.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon