Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I just built one of these because my daughter likes yellow. I went with a traditional build, however I did add both pieces of clay into the nose cone, painted two wings black, limited the decals, and added a silver stripe decal where the nosecone meets the tube. The finish an everything looked great until my son grabbed it and go finger prints in my gloss coat completely messing up the finish earlier today. I let it dry, tried to sand down the finger prints, went through some of the yellow coat, but ended up finishing it. I loved the simplicity of it. Great little rocket; can't wait to fly it, but it will be done on the smallest engine as possible.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Craftsman

You can never go wrong with a yellow and black color scheme - nice job on the Goblin!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Craftsman

the Semroc version flies nicely(albeit low) on an A8-3 using a motor adaptor.
Rex
Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmaster1980
Great little rocket; can't wait to fly it, but it will be done on the smallest engine as possible.

If you don't ever plan to fly it on D's, remove the clay. It won't need it for stability and with lower total mass, its decent rate will be a little slower and it won't get dinged up as much. The shock cord rebound damage won't be as bad either.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Hey thanks. Just so i understand; So If i fly it on a 24mm C engine don't need as much clay. Thanks got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If you don't ever plan to fly it on D's, remove the clay. It won't need it for stability and with lower total mass, its decent rate will be a little slower and it won't get dinged up as much. The shock cord rebound damage won't be as bad either.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmaster1980
Hey thanks. Just so i understand; So If i fly it on a 24mm C engine don't need as much clay. Thanks got it.

It shouldn't be any heavier than hollowed out 24mm motor casings I use for 18mm motor adapters, so it should be good. However, without the added clay it will fly well on A8-3's, probably over 200 ft. It will do an easy 500 ft on a B6-4 without the clay. You mentioned you want to fly it on the smallest motors you can. I'm sure it will even fly on an A10-3T mini motor.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Looks great I was looking for streamer recovery models the other day and missed this one.

I might get me one!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Heh. Remember you said that when we meet.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Wasted away again.......

A question for an old thread - I just picked up the Estes version at Hobby Lobby recently. It has the plastic nose cone, the same one I remember from the old Estes Blue Bird Zero from the early 80's. I never liked it because that tiny hole for the shock cord was a weak point. Does anyone know what the part number is for a balsa version?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:41 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
A question for an old thread - I just picked up the Estes version at Hobby Lobby recently. It has the plastic nose cone, the same one I remember from the old Estes Blue Bird Zero from the early 80's. I never liked it because that tiny hole for the shock cord was a weak point. Does anyone know what the part number is for a balsa version?

BNC-55AO

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper