Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Doug

Yep that's the one... thanks Doug...

Have to dig up my pics from a couple years ago... didn't remember it being painted as one of Rick's faves-- the all-white-tank Skylab Ib's....

While those are cool looking and infinitely more practical (they dumped the black paint from the kerosene tanks to minimize thermal radiation and boiloff in the adjoining white LOX tanks between them and in the center, the black tanks do, IMHO, look a little "cooler", even if they did heat up more in the sun... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 08-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yep that's the one... thanks Doug...

Have to dig up my pics from a couple years ago... didn't remember it being painted as one of Rick's faves-- the all-white-tank Skylab Ib's....
I posted that from the house this morning, so I can't see the file attributes right now, but IIRC, I took that pic back in 2000, less than a year after I got back in the hobby. At the time, I was still a slobbering, giddy, obsessive BAR

BTW, I do agree, the mixed b/w tanks are my paradigm for a Saturn 1B.

Doug...slightly more subdued these days

YORF member #11
Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I see you are using the image tag. That works for images already on the internet with a URL you can put in the tag. If it is a local image you have to attach it.

I used this: http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/saturn1B.3.gif
which as you can see it is clickable since it is a valid URL.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-25-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Saturn 1b nut

LOL...Joe..I hope it is worth the wait!! the pressure is on...late night at work so I didn't get anything done tonight..and in about a week, I am going to have to take a week off to paint my house up here....ugh....but its time to get that done. I have 13 gallons of paint sitting in my garage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Rick, I'm following your build with something approaching rapture!

Joe
Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrick
LOL...Joe..I hope it is worth the wait!! the pressure is on...late night at work so I didn't get anything done tonight..and in about a week, I am going to have to take a week off to paint my house up here....ugh....but its time to get that done. I have 13 gallons of paint sitting in my garage....

Rick, I'm already ahead of the game just from the pointers you gave on tube manufacture. Looking forward to any other build recommendations you might have along the way, not only to do it better (like the tubes) but to do it faster or easier (I'm basically lazy). And on that note, it sounds to me like you need to be introduced to a Wagner power sprayer.

Joe
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Saturn 1b nut

Doug...that pic is awesome! Compared to the Saturn V the 1b looks like a toy...but....what woudln't? The darned thing is 224 " tall...its a huge rocket.

regarding the white tanks....I was born in 1963....so I have some vague memories of the lunar missions....but when Skylab went up and these 1bs were launching..I was 10 and TOTALLY into it! we would watch those from class in school..it was big stuff back then...I fell in love with that rocket. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen launching off that Milkstool...so...in 1975...now I am 12 about to turn 13 and I come across that Estes Saturn 1b...and I did not have enough money to buy it. So I save up my paper route money and after weeks I beg my mom to drive me back to the shop...only to get there and that rocket kit was gone..never to be seen again. ...I was crushed. I used to look at the Estes catalog with envy....so..sometime in the mid 90's while working on a plastic model...I walk into a hobby shop here in NJ and what is sitting on the shelf? that Estes 1b..I pick that box up..and all of these memories come back....and I look at the price..its over $100 and I am like...crap..I still don't have enough money to buy this thing!! (I had 2 kids and a stay at home wife at the time...so I was counting pennies) That is where the Zooch 1b is is such a neat product for me...its cheap $25 compared to some of the other 1bs that are out there (don't get wrong...those other kits are BEAUTIFUL!!!) and with a little bit of patience I think you can make a Zooch 1b look even better. well..that the plan anyway!

Quote:
I posted that from the house this morning, so I can't see the file attributes right now, but IIRC, I took that pic back in 2000, less than a year after I got back in the hobby. At the time, I was still a slobbering, giddy, obsessive BAR

Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 PM
Saturn 1b nut

oh Joe you have no idea regarding a power sprayer.....but after 8 months of watching my wife change her mind (God I lover her so....not complaining...but holy smokes back and forth over paint colors and agonizing over shades that i cannot even detect...)

seriously....the Zooch 1b the hardest part is making the tanks...once you roll them the rest of the kit is straight forward. I like to add some extra detail and stuff...but heck...the kit out of the box is a really cool looking rocket that flies great! The stuff I will do is really just suggestions on some extra details and stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Rick, I'm already ahead of the game just from the pointers you gave on tube manufacture. Looking forward to any other build recommendations you might have along the way, not only to do it better (like the tubes) but to do it faster or easier (I'm basically lazy). And on that note, it sounds to me like you need to be introduced to a Wagner power sprayer.

Joe
Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Saturn 1b nut

Jerry....thanks for the help....quick question...I went to atach the image I went to manage attachments, then I found my pics and I hit upload....but after that...I didn't see how to get that into the body of the text. I admit i am clueless with computers etc...but once I upload the image, how do I get that to the body of the text?

Jerry ...thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I see you are using the image tag. That works for images already on the internet with a URL you can put in the tag. If it is a local image you have to attach it.

I used this: http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/saturn1B.3.gif
which as you can see it is clickable since it is a valid URL.

Jerry

Old 08-25-2015, 11:45 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...319&postcount=4

Attachments can't get into the body of the text. Only linked images with a valid URL can.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=15317

That's how I dealt with captions for attached images which can be bigger than inline photos due to format limits of YORF. I had to reduce the size of my images before YORF would ingest them. 1.4mb limit here. I shot for 500k-1000k.

In a perfect world the software would take any size image and make a perfect 640 pixel wide thumbnail which is clickable to the full image. The bulletin board software is the weak link here.

BTW it's not a computer. It is a confuser.

Since 1992 I have hosted images and content with a stable URL for free. Just for rocket people.

Jerry
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 AM
BAR

Quote:

Can't find mine... got all my pics organized into folders chronologically by date and subject, but no joy... dunno where they're at. I know I've taken pics of it at least once with the digital camera since I switched from 35mm in 2009... strange...

Later! OL JR