Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Not sure if Estes would sale a remake of this kit for the price you were willing to pay.

A sealed KC-1 Citation Quasar recently sold on eBay for $300. Might that be one to consider for a remake?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

You can clone a Quasar. The fin can is available via 3D printing on Shapeways.

Frankly, I believe I've seen the future of model rocketry and it is 3D printing. Imagine a 3D printed escape tower for your Estes K-41 or Dr. Zooch BT-60 Redstone. Or a replacement LES for your old Centuri Saturn. Steering grids for a Falcon9? Or maybe, just maybe, a Soyuz lattice with a BT-60 coupler on either side. . . .

If I understand how it works, you program the design using availble software, you send in the design to Shapeways, they print it on one of their printers as a proof and then you can sell the item on their web-store.

Tragically, I know nothing of programming such a device but I may have to learn over the winter. I am 100% certain that 3D is where scratch building or very low-volume production is headed.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 11-18-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Not sure if Estes would sale a remake of this kit for the price you were willing to pay. And NO it's not something on my to do list since the tooling for the cone doesn't exits any more.

John Boren
Your posting regarding this is very timely.

The LTV Scout is rather hard to produce tooling for because of all of its many surface details, but have you looked at the Ford Aeronutronic Blue Scout I, Blue Scout II, and Blue Scout Junior? (I have plenty of website links on them, and Peter Alway covered all three of them in his "Rockets of the World: 2000 Supplement" which is available from ARA Press and NARTS.)

The Blue Scout I and II had fewer of the surface details that made the LTV Scout difficult to depict accurately, and the Blue Scout I & II were indistinguishable physically (the Blue Scout I simply lacked the Blue Scout II's Altair fourth stage inside its payload fairing, which--in both vehicles--matched the 30" diameter of the Antares third stage). The two vehicles' conical flare first stage (Algol rocket motor) tail section--to which the four delta planform fins were attached--was visually striking, and it would give a Blue Scout I/II scale model excellent, enhanced aerodynamic stability. The two vehicles *did* have noticeably different decor schemes, though, so one kit with two sets of decals could be built by the modeler to depict either a Blue Scout I or a Blue Scout II. Also:

The un-guided (fin-and-spin-stabilized) Blue Scout Junior used a Castor first stage and an Antares second stage (the second and third stages of the Blue Scout I and II), an Alcor third stage, and a NOTS 100A fourth stage, with the top two stages being housed inside the payload fairing. The first (Castor) stage was fitted with standard Blue Scout I/II delta planforn fins (which looked just like the LTV Scout's fins), and the Antares second stage had delta fins with a longer chord (this would make a gap-staged Blue Scout Junior kit--with streamer recovery of the first stage, if desired--possible). With this "motor commonality," two constant-scale kits (a builder-customizable Blue Scout I/II kit and a Blue Scout Junior kit) would be possible. Now:

If Estes produced them, I would buy them, and I'm sure that many other model rocketeers would as well.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-21-2015, 06:55 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Semroc can make those custom tubes on a trivial basis.

BTW, who wants to make a full scale Scout?
Are you referring to a 1:1 scale Scout *model* (some British museums might be interested, since Scouts lofted a lot of their Ariel series of scientific satellites), or a flight vehicle? Here's why I ask:

An aerospace-involved scientist I know, Dr. Gregory Matloff, would like to see the Scout return to service because it would be perfect for orbiting today's smaller-yet-far-more-capable satellites, making it unnecessary to "hitch rides" on bigger rockets (often after long waits), and often to orbits that the smallsat owners have to "settle for." ALSO:

That's an ironic thing that we've discussed. The small-payload satellite launch vehicles of the past (the Jupiter-C [Juno I], Vanguard, Juno II, early Thor-Delta, Thor-Altair [Thor-Burner I], Thor-Burner II and IIA, and Scout) were superseded by larger SLVs because more capable satellites had to be larger and more massive than what those small rockets could inject into orbit. But today, the great advances in miniaturization have made very small, lightweight, yet highly-capable satellites practical, but the smaller rockets that could put them into orbit (the orbits these satellites' operators want, with their launches scheduled to meet their schedules) are no longer available. In addition:

Several promising small satellite launch vehicles are currently under development, because this market sector is poorly-served at present. ("Hitch-hiker" rides on large rockets are inexpensive, but small satellites can only ride on a space-available, standby-schedule basis, with wait times not uncommonly measured in years, and with available orbits that are often not optimal for the small satellites.) While I'm sure that one--and likely more--of the in-development small SLVs will be successful, bringing back an all-solid propellant launch vehicle such as the Scout could capture a significant part of the smallsat launch market. An updated Scout could use all composite motor cases for reduced mass and higher performance (although the first stage could--if cost considerations warranted it--use an inexpensive maraging steel motor case; India's ISRO uses a maraging steel first stage motor case in their PSLV and GSLV rockets for this reason [these vehicles' solid propellant third stage motor uses a filament-wound, all-composite case]).
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
You can clone a Quasar. The fin can is available via 3D printing on Shapeways.

Frankly, I believe I've seen the future of model rocketry and it is 3D printing. Imagine a 3D printed escape tower for your Estes K-41 or Dr. Zooch BT-60 Redstone. Or a replacement LES for your old Centuri Saturn. Steering grids for a Falcon9? Or maybe, just maybe, a Soyuz lattice with a BT-60 coupler on either side. . . .

If I understand how it works, you program the design using availble software, you send in the design to Shapeways, they print it on one of their printers as a proof and then you can sell the item on their web-store.

Tragically, I know nothing of programming such a device but I may have to learn over the winter. I am 100% certain that 3D is where scratch building or very low-volume production is headed.
"I am in agreeance," as I once heard someone say on the radio. Already, in addition to Shapeways' offerings, Boyce Aerospace Hobbies is offering 3D printed replica Cox Little Joe II and Nike-Zeus model rockets on eBay. (I bought a Nike-Zeus in order to see what a 3D printed model rocket looks like up close [plus that was the *one* Cox RTF rocket I never had!], and I'm impressed with the technology. There are very small, narrow "ridges" between print lines that need to be sanded smooth [as they fully explained on the eBay page] before the model is painted, but they're no big deal; in fact, these rockets would fly fine as-is.) Also:

Boyce is now offering a 3D printed Nike-Hercules, proceeding on an alternative Cox future path ("What would they likely have offered next had they stayed in the RTF model rocket business?"). Their photographs of it even show the Nike-Hercules (as their Cox Little Joe II and Nike-Zeus 3D printed replicas are also shown) on a Cox launch pad, with a Cox launch controller next to it, and they're working on another scale model (which I suggested to them) that I can't mention. (If they offered 3D printed duplicate Cox launch pads & controllers [they could also offer the CANAROC versions of these...], I'd buy them.)
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 11-21-2015 at 08:37 AM.