Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Horrible decision by Estes. Since the demise of the C5-3, the C11 has been the only worthwhile C they produced.

The C11s sold poorly.

Lack of sales is what killed off the motor.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:30 PM
spirit of 72

Memo to future owners of Estes: "MAKE WHAT SELLS !".
Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Horrible decision by Estes. Since the demise of the C5-3, the C11 has been the only worthwhile C they produced.

Yeah I agree.... Kits I can get *anywhere* by *anybody*, and I usually scratchbuild most stuff anyway because the typical "3FNC" kits don't interest me at all anymore... particularly the RTF or super-easy ones...

MOTORS, OTOH, well only a few mfgs make those and the more selection we have, the better. IMHO they should have done more kits to make use of the fat C motors... for instance the Mercury Redstone kits should have been redesigned to use that motor... because they are PATHETICALLY underpowered on a regular 18mm C motor...

The E9's had some teething problems, and some would spit nozzles and go "road flare" on you from time to time, BUT, they WERE a nice motor and a good choice to have... as long as you realized that they weren't good for heavy/draggy rockets. I flew the heck out of my "Kriegsmarine long-tank V-2" (Redone Canadian Arrow) model rocket using those motors-- ALWAYS turned in a beautiful flight...

Hate to see those go. The E12's were a welcome addition, faster, harder kick off the pad for heavier/draggier rockets, BUT less "realistic flights" for the V-2 type rockets and stuff like Maniac's or stuff like that.

Later! OL J R
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Master Modeler

luke

PHP Code:
 because the typical "3FNC" kits don't interest me at all anymore 

Can I assume you've not looked at any of the offerings from Estes in the past 8 years since there are LOTS of stuff that aren't simple 3 fins and a nose cone.

John Boren
Old 03-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

OL J R said

"I flew the heck out of my "Kriegsmarine long-tank V-2" (Redone Canadian Arrow) model rocket using those motors-- ALWAYS turned in a beautiful flight...

Hate to see those go. The E12's were a welcome addition, faster, harder kick off the pad for heavier/draggier rockets, BUT less "realistic flights" for the V-2 type rockets and stuff like Maniac's or stuff like that."

Yeah, you bet. The perfect marriage. Just the right sized rocket for that engine, perfect engine for the rocket. Realistic flights from the pad to apogee. The E12 did NOT give the same performance and was NOT a substitute in this case for the E9.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:17 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Estes has offered loads of great kits the past 5-6 years, including one I NEVER thought we would get, the 1/45 Centuri Little Joe II.
Now if we could get both the 1/70 and 1/100 Saturn 1B and the K-21 Gemini Titan back it would be amazing !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah I agree.... Kits I can get *anywhere* by *anybody*, and I usually scratchbuild most stuff anyway because the typical "3FNC" kits don't interest me at all anymore... particularly the RTF or super-easy ones...

MOTORS, OTOH, well only a few mfgs make those and the more selection we have, the better. IMHO they should have done more kits to make use of the fat C motors... for instance the Mercury Redstone kits should have been redesigned to use that motor... because they are PATHETICALLY underpowered on a regular 18mm C motor...

The E9's had some teething problems, and some would spit nozzles and go "road flare" on you from time to time, BUT, they WERE a nice motor and a good choice to have... as long as you realized that they weren't good for heavy/draggy rockets. I flew the heck out of my "Kriegsmarine long-tank V-2" (Redone Canadian Arrow) model rocket using those motors-- ALWAYS turned in a beautiful flight...

Hate to see those go. The E12's were a welcome addition, faster, harder kick off the pad for heavier/draggier rockets, BUT less "realistic flights" for the V-2 type rockets and stuff like Maniac's or stuff like that.

Later! OL J R

Road flare! Perfect description.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  6889735142_69c65144ca_k.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.32 MB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That thar looks like a QUALITEEEEEEE E9 launch to me.

Almost as entertaining as a PMC POWR-PRANGG with it's nominal "trash bag-n-broom" recovery method.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
That is the practice of my closest HL store as well (and others in the general area that I have been in from time to time). It took some time to gather up all the F15-8s I stockpiled for use in my Star Orbiter for the Sierra Blanca challenge at NSL last year .

Bernard,

My Star Orbiter flight on an F15 at NSL was my first time to fly one. I became hooked. Since then I’ve boight many more, and all at HL, one at a time. I’m in the process of designing a “Dueces Wild” type of canted motor rocket using F15s. Should be fun.

Randy Gilbert turned me on to e-matches on eBay for clusters. They fit the nozzles of D/E/F motors nicely. I spent $8.50 for 62, free shipping. I’ve only static-fired one to test, they put out a decent flame for about a second or so.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Master Modeler

We have a high power guy in our club that has a 7 engine cluster model that he has flown twice now at are field with Estes 29mm F15 motors. Uses Flash Pan ignition. Super Cool Flights.

John Boren