Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:24 PM
mojo1986's Avatar
mojo1986 mojo1986 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston, CANADA
Posts: 1,751
Default

Wow Lee! I see you were a DOM plans fan back then. Noticed a few of Design Of the Month rockets in your lineup. Very nice, BTW!


Joe
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 PM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Wow Lee! I see you were a DOM plans fan back then. Noticed a few of Design Of the Month rockets in your lineup. Very nice, BTW!


Joe


Thanks Joe! I was a big fan of the DOM /Free Plans. Growing up in Colorado, my first purchases were mail order to Estes. Then my friends and I found a hobby shop in Denver (Tom Thumb Hobbies) that carried everything in the Estes catalog. With plans coming in MRNs and in my orders, I found that I could go to the hobby shop, get all the parts I needed, and build the rockets from the free plans pretty cheap. Of course, kits were also pretty cheap at the time!

One favorite plan (Free Plan #28) was the Augie II. For those unfamiliar, it’s the yellow and black rocket. Featured “thrust augmentation” and what I’ll call “internal CHAD staging”.

Another fun rocket, (not shown in my picture), was the Tiger Shark (Free Plan #22) whose booster glided after staging.

I’ve wanted to upscale both of these for a long time. Maybe a BT-50 based moderately upscaled Tiger Shark. Semroc has an upscale called the Lil Augie (really an Augie II, and nit the L’il Augie shown in Free Plan #10) that is 29mm motor-based. F15 to F15 would be pretty amazing.
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V, Astron Farside-X
Stuck In the Paint Shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Painted Prowler! (ditched the pink tube wrap ...)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,322
Default

A 2x24mm mount will not fit in a BT-60 based Ranger/Big Bertha.
The most it will fit is either 3x18mm, or single 24mm, or single 29mm.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:57 PM
metlfreak metlfreak is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Aerotech Rocket wouldn’t be a good choice, the fins and interlocking motor mount system would be a problem. It could be done, but fins would need a lot of mods and wouldn’t be as strong.

How about North Coast Rockets Cluster Duck?

Yeah I would modify the fins. Ive built several Aerotech rockets would def have to cut some of the fin through part down.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:01 AM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Thanks Joe! I was a big fan of the DOM /Free Plans. Growing up in Colorado, my first purchases were mail order to Estes. Then my friends and I found a hobby shop in Denver (Tom Thumb Hobbies) that carried everything in the Estes catalog. With plans coming in MRNs and in my orders, I found that I could go to the hobby shop, get all the parts I needed, and build the rockets from the free plans pretty cheap. Of course, kits were also pretty cheap at the time!

One favorite plan (Free Plan #28) was the Augie II. For those unfamiliar, it’s the yellow and black rocket. Featured “thrust augmentation” and what I’ll call “internal CHAD staging”.

Another fun rocket, (not shown in my picture), was the Tiger Shark (Free Plan #22) whose booster glided after staging.

I’ve wanted to upscale both of these for a long time. Maybe a BT-50 based moderately upscaled Tiger Shark. Semroc has an upscale called the Lil Augie (really an Augie II, and nit the L’il Augie shown in Free Plan #10) that is 29mm motor-based. F15 to F15 would be pretty amazing.



The Tiger Shark was always one of my favorites, too. The first one I built back in 68-69 is long gone (the booster glided pretty well, surprisingly), but I have a replacement that's been sitting around waiting for a paint job for 25 years or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  TigerShark-2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  413.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TigerShark-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  574.2 KB  
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:03 AM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
A 2x24mm mount will not fit in a BT-60 based Ranger/Big Bertha.
The most it will fit is either 3x18mm, or single 24mm, or single 29mm.


ghrocketman,

You need to think outside the tube! A “Dueces Wild” type of mod would be right up your alley, in terms of “unwimpifying” a Big Bertha.
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V, Astron Farside-X
Stuck In the Paint Shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Painted Prowler! (ditched the pink tube wrap ...)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:07 AM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
The Tiger Shark was always one of my favorites, too. The first one I built back in 68-69 is long gone (the booster glided pretty well, surprisingly), but I have a replacement that's been sitting around waiting for a paint job for 25 years or so.


In her nakedness, she’s a thing of beauty.
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V, Astron Farside-X
Stuck In the Paint Shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Painted Prowler! (ditched the pink tube wrap ...)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 AM
jadebox's Avatar
jadebox jadebox is offline
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 926
Default

Apologises if I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention that Semroc makes a Ranger kit:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/ranger-1958.html

As I did see mentioned, it is a good choice for a first cluster-powered rocket.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:29 AM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
Apologises if I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention that Semroc makes a Ranger kit:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/ranger-1958.html

As I did see mentioned, it is a good choice for a first cluster-powered rocket.


I’d forgotten about the Semroc Ranger. But, a 2x18mm Bertha would be at least one less motor to worry about if someone wants to get a taste for clustering.

Speaking of Rangers, I have a Semroc Brighton, a really incredible upscale (BT-80) of the Ranger. It has interchangeable motor mounts. It included a 4x18mm mount, 3x24mm mount, single 29mm, or you could fly it with single 24mm using the 29-to-24mm adapter.
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V, Astron Farside-X
Stuck In the Paint Shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Painted Prowler! (ditched the pink tube wrap ...)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:16 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,322
Default

Good luck flying a Semroc Brighton on a single 24mm anything short of an RMS24 F24 reload.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2019