Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2020, 11:17 PM
Master Modeler

Default Both new Estes egg lofters

Here is the Green Eggs, which was flown at the February WAC launch and again yesterday after this image was taken, alongside the Olympus, which was flown twice yesterday after the picture.

All four flights carried an egg successfully. The two Green Eggs flights were both on D12s, to ~500 feet (one over, one under). The Olympus flights were to just over 400 feet (D12-3) and just under 900 (E12-4). For some reason I don't really know the Olympus stripped four of six shroud lines on the 18 inch 'chute and so broke a fin on landing. The fins in this particular kit were quite light/soft for an Estes kit.

The plastic parts of both models are the same save for the color. One wonders what other BT-65 models might be in the offing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2513 smaller.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  1.02 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-29-2020, 09:08 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
For some reason I don't really know the Olympus stripped four of six shroud lines on the 18 inch 'chute and so broke a fin on landing. The fins in this particular kit were quite light/soft for an Estes kit.

If you still have the parachute -
Give the shroud lines a quick pull and see if they break. I've had a few Estes kit chutes with weak shroud lines.
When building an Estes kit, I (reluctantly) grab the line with two hands and give it a good tug.
Sometimes they easily break. I replace them with #10 embroidery thread.

One of our local club members launched a beautifully made Estes Astron Explorer.
At ejection, three of the shroud lines broke - It came in too hard and bent up the tubes.

Here's a post about the shroud lines from my blog:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspo...chutes-tip.html

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!

Last edited by hcmbanjo : 02-29-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Chris, but they didn't break, they tore out of their holes. I'll fix this 'chute as I often do by using Tyvek jewelry tags (this idea stolen from Rick Randol, as he uses them for his assemble-them-yourself 'chutes). They have two very sticky disks joined by a straight section that has no adhesive on it. So to repair an Estes 'chute I just slip one through the existing loop and then stick it to both sides of the 'chute where the factory reinforcement was (and is now torn through).

These are what I use: https://smile.amazon.com/Jeweller-R.../dp/B00ANI5KQ8/

Amazon says I bought these in late October 2014....and I still have more than enough.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-01-2020, 06:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What kind of random validation testing does Estes do on their kits ??
If shroud lines are often breaking it seems like not much.
Having durable shroud lines is something one SHOULD be able to take for granted...no discussion on that should ever be needed. SHEESH !!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Master Modeler

I have flown LOTS of models with this style of Estes pre-made 'chute and I was completely surprised by this one failing the way it did, as the ejection was just a touch early (in looking at the altimeter data). I've seen them strip if the delay is way late and the model is coming back down in a hurry but not like this. But then, this is the first with such a heavy payload (large egg, two altimeters along with the rocket's own parts).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I have flown LOTS of models with this style of Estes pre-made 'chute and I was completely surprised by this one failing the way it did, as the ejection was just a touch early (in looking at the altimeter data). I've seen them strip if the delay is way late and the model is coming back down in a hurry but not like this. But then, this is the first with such a heavy payload (large egg, two altimeters along with the rocket's own parts).

Bernard-

Does your altimeter collect any G-load data? If so (and if so, I’m sure you probably already checked and would have reported it here, but anyway), that data could tell a great deal of what happened on that somewhat early ejection.

But, if not, I guess we can probably deduce that the loads on that chute, with a somewhat early ejection AND a heavy payload, would probably be enough to damage a chute. Sudden, relatively high speed chute openings can inflict pretty high G loads on shock cords and recovery systems. I remember some club member high power flights back in the late 80s who had some high speed deployments, and those events totally opened up fairly strong metal quick-links; just pulled them wide open.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Master Modeler

Earl,

There were two altimeters aboard that flight (a Pnut and an FS Mini) but neither of them record accelerometer data. The Pnut doesn't have an accelerometer and the FS Mini is not using its accelerometer yet.

The graph from the Pnut has a little jittering about showing a slightly early ejection, but it's not all that severe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 8.36.32 PM.png
Views: 14
Size:  197.8 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks for the graph info. Yeah, the jittering at or near apogee does not appear to be too very extreme. But I guess it is kind of hard to extrapolate just how much force may have been applied to the chute/recovery system during that event. At some point obviously some high stresses were applied to the chute OR it simply had some weak spots that gave way once it opened. Any sign of heat damage (which might have weakened it some just before it deployed)?

BTW, how far away is Auburn from the the unfortunate coronavirus events in WA? I hope they are able to contain things quickly.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Master Modeler

This was the second flight of the model.

The first one looked normal (D12-3 rather than E12-4). This one also ejected a touch early but 'chute looked good on descent. Since it looked good, I didn't check it over for damage, really, just repacked it for the second flight.

added: with respect to the coronavirus thing - not all that far. The two deaths have occurred in Kirkland, which during good traffic is 45 minutes or so north of me. It is also very close to the site at which all these flights (including the ones last Thursday) have taken place. Kirkland and Redmond are next to each other across Lake Washington to the east of Seattle. Auburn is south a few suburbs from Seattle.

In today's Seattle Times there is speculation from regional health authorities that the virus has been actually circulating for some time. Since it is unlikely we can adopt the Chinese approach to containment, it seems to me now that it is going to get much worse before it gets better.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 03-02-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Certified Rocket Nut

BC, did you do anything about the hole in the bottom of the payload? I’m wondering if that causes any problem with ejection. I’m thinking about plugging the hole.