Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2020, 01:19 AM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie
Default 'Der Rotjektor' (Estes Trajector)

Last weekend I hung my Estes Majestic about 40 feet up in the top of a tree...over hanging a creek...with my Jolly Logic chute release in it. Well that left me very deflated about rocketry in general. So I had recently picked up a Trajector selling with custom skins, and decided to get back on the horse so to speak. In my recent search for the Interceptor E nose cone I learned I had missed out on this kit and was glad to find one at a fair price. The skins I was not sold on using at first but decided to take on the extra challenge. I didn't take a lot of build pics but here is a few. At this point I have one layer of clear rusto and the first layer of future polish down. The skins were meant to cover the fins fully and omit the pods. I really like the pods so I painted them silver, and left a bit of silver around the canopy and nose tip. The skins are tricky but despite a few mishaps I am overall pleased with how they came out. If I can get over my fear of rocket eating trees again, this will be fun to fly. I need that chute release back, it worked so perfectly for 5 flights. My fault, the F26-6fj was just too much power for that rocket at my local field. So I watch and wait each day or two and hope with a little luck the rocket moves within reach without falling in the creek. I can't afford another chute release and my birthday is in December
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0603.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  1.74 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0609.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  1.47 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0637.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  922.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0638.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  1.42 MB  
Old 04-09-2020, 06:58 AM
Old BAR

How high is your tree-eaten rocket? I have used a weighted fishing line flung up and over a limb of the tree using a fishing rod to cast.
Once you get it close, then you can wiggle the limb enough to make the rocket fall, maybe far enough to grab. The weighted line is usually sacrificed.
Might station someone in the creek (with waders on!) to help grab it, as well.
Short of a chainsaw...or climbing said tree!

Allen
Old 04-09-2020, 08:28 AM
Craftsman

Well...got to be 40 feet up. One huge limb that is really solid. So I drilled a hole in a baseball, tied a string thru it and tried to throw it over the limb and shock chord. Not even close. So I tried swinging the ball on a few feet of the string to sling it up higher... the string broke and the baseball flew straight into the creek my wife and I got a huge laugh out of that at least. I will consider the fishing pole with a heavy sinker idea...I'm afraid I will have maybe one shot or two at it and will fail miserably it would have to go almost straight up. One day it will come down and with any luck it gets hung up lower where I could snag it. That chute release is really awesome, I will own one again and I've learned my lesson.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Junior Rocketeer

If you can get a strong piece of fishing line over the limb you can tie on a piece of rope and pull the over until you have both ends, then tie a slip not, cinch it up to the branch and pull hard. Just a thought.

Another idea...........I've had some success getting rockets out for trees using a slingshot (aim for the parachute and try to knock it down or shred everything so there's very little left holding it in the tree).
Old 04-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Apollo Nut

I have gone as far as cutting the offending tree down (it was in a swamp!). It took me a couple hours to do, but I was a teenager then and had a handful of blisters afterwards. But I got that rocket back! I have climbed them before to get rockets back too, but that's one that, at our 'average' age here (for most of us anyway), you need to be very careful about.

Another option too is a shotgun, if you are a decent shot (and comfortable with guns; if not DON'T even consider the option) you might be able to shoot the limb just shy of the hung model and break it free that way. But that only works if the model is snagged in the more 'bushy' parts of a limb that could be blasted free with some shotgun bird shot.

But yes, the 'waiting' method can be excruciating. But your new model with skins looks great! That always helps alleviate the grief of losing one.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-09-2020, 10:01 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Drill a hole in the baseball and captive connect it to a rope passed thru the holes and knotted at each side.
Blasting a limb from 40 feet multiple times with #4 or #1 12ga buckshot out of a full choke would take it off, but the pellets that miss would carry quiite far. Birdshot less than BB size isn't gonna do it.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Craftsman

I really like all the ideas...minus climbing the tree, no freaking way. It is in a public park, I don't think I could get away with an air gun without someone filing a police report or something. I wish I had a friend or relative who works for DTE energy or the fire department, take the bucket right up there and grab it for me.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Craftsman

Took many shots at the parachute with a pellet gun, spent an hour with a fishing pole and a handful of weights, bolts, etc...no luck. Windy as heck to and that chute just won't let go.

**** you rocket eating tree!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0659.PNG
Views: 45
Size:  1.71 MB  
Old 04-09-2020, 07:24 PM
The Alpha Kid

I had the same thing happen to my upscale Blue Bird Zero about 10 years ago. I tried all the usual methods with no success. About a week later we had some heavy rain. I went back after the storm and found it at the base of the tree. It had filled with water and become so heavy that it tore itself free. The tubing was ruined, but I was able to salvage everything else and rebuild it. I remember the E12 engine had swelled so much that I had to use channel lock pliers to remove it.
Keep an eye on the weather for a good springtime storm. You may have some luck getting it back.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Ever been bowfishing? They use fishing line tied to the arrow with a reel mounted on the bow. I did something similar with a wrist slingshot several times over the years. I rigged a reel and shot the line up with a lead sinker. They actually make commercial versions of my setup these days for shooting "fish darts".