Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2020, 05:12 PM
The_Ripper

Default Too many Rockets ... too little memory

Okay. I have been off the forum for a good while. A few years ago I was trying to inventory the mess of rocket stuff that I have in too many places around the house and in the garage. I had a near death experience and then I was in the ICU for a week and the recovery period was really long. No, trying to sort out all the rocketry stuff that I had accumulated didn't cause the illness ... and I am okay! But I missed you guys on YORF

So today I started looking for rocket things. All sorts of rocket things in boxes, dresser drawers you name it. I started with four bins that stuff was tossed into and I'm finding things that I didn't realize I had and also some things I don't know where they came from.

Like this TCB kit ... well actually two of them. One is opened the other is still sealed. Basswood LONG nose cones, nice white tubes and thin fiberglass fins. Parts are separated into separate little bags with a wrap around fin alignment guide and instructions. A well thought out and well packaged kit. I remember back in the day [late 80's] Ross with Magnum had a line called TCB in a Flash but those were very large HPR kits. The only indication of where these came from is an email address on the back of the instructions: tcbrockets@yahoo.com

Anyone know anything about these kits? I don't remember where I got them and there is no city or state. I can scan the instructions with my iPad if anyone want to see them.

If any of you have unearthed anything recently that looks interesting please feel free to post to this thread ... would be cool to see it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0105.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  1.73 MB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Cool looking kits, Steve, tho I can't say as I've ever seen or heard of them.
And, again, it's good to have you back!

I've been going through my very unorganized 'collection', if that's what you want to call it. This was from a little over 2 years ago:
< https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...t=critical+mass >

While there's been some improvement, there hasn't been nearly enough.
I'll start posting some of the things that, like you, either forgot I had or have no idea where they came from.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin

Okay. I have been off the forum for a good while. A few years ago I was trying to inventory the mess of rocket stuff that I have in too many places around the house and in the garage. I had a near death experience and then I was in the ICU for a week and the recovery period was really long. No, trying to sort out all the rocketry stuff that I had accumulated didn't cause the illness ... and I am okay! But I missed you guys on YORF

So today I started looking for rocket things. All sorts of rocket things in boxes, dresser drawers you name it. I started with four bins that stuff was tossed into and I'm finding things that I didn't realize I had and also some things I don't know where they came from.

Like this TCB kit ... well actually two of them. One is opened the other is still sealed. Basswood LONG nose cones, nice white tubes and thin fiberglass fins. Parts are separated into separate little bags with a wrap around fin alignment guide and instructions. A well thought out and well packaged kit. I remember back in the day [late 80's] Ross with Magnum had a line called TCB in a Flash but those were very large HPR kits. The only indication of where these came from is an email address on the back of the instructions: tcbrockets@yahoo.com

Anyone know anything about these kits? I don't remember where I got them and there is no city or state. I can scan the instructions with my iPad if anyone want to see them.

If any of you have unearthed anything recently that looks interesting please feel free to post to this thread ... would be cool to see it!
SAM #0031
Old 05-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

TCB...Elvis' personal rocket collection?

If not TCB In a Flash, I don't know. That's the only one I remember, but I don't remember the actual kits that were offered.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:20 PM

First up: Not to long after my brother and I started in model rocketry (summer, 1967) we were looking through an Encyclopedia (remember those?)
and under Rocketry found a ~1.5" x 1" picture of what we later learned was the LTV Scout. We immediately figured that us being experienced rocketeers of 2 months or so were ready to move on to scratch building a model of a REAL rocket. So we put pen to paper and sketched out the rocket and parts list which included a TA50-60 tube adapter which you see below. This is the only remnant from that ambitious project which I believe was to use a nail somewhere in the build, though I can't exactly remember where. Why or how this has survived the years is a mystery, but I'm kind of glad it did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  LTV_Scout_Trans.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  190.8 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 05-06-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Second up: 2 kits I had completely forgotten about - the Stinger I picked up when I worked at a Hobby shop part time ( for the 20% discount ). This had been returned before I started my shift, and I talked the manager into selling it to me for 50% off list price. It had been returned open, and was probably going to be written off and thrown out, but I couldn't let them do that. The 'Hawkeye' was a Christmas present.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Stinger_Hawkeye.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  292.5 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 05-07-2020, 05:18 AM
BP Mafia

Wow, you and Jay back around the same time! It's like the virus woke something primitive in some of us. Either that, or we're all just bored out of our gourds. Good to see you around again.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-07-2020, 03:07 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

Great to see you back, Steve!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-07-2020, 05:14 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Cool looking kits, Steve, tho I can't say as I've ever seen or heard of them.
And, again, it's good to have you back!

I've been going through my very unorganized 'collection', if that's what you want to call it. This was from a little over 2 years ago:
< https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...t=critical+mass >

While there's been some improvement, there hasn't been nearly enough.
I'll start posting some of the things that, like you, either forgot I had or have no idea where they came from.

Sean

Wow Sean ... that's a LOT of stuff in your collection! I see some goodies in there
I wish I had more room for my rocket stuff. I just cleaned two shelves in the garage and pulled a bunch of stuff out and moved it into my office. My wife is just soooo happy with me right now
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate

Last edited by snaquin : 05-07-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
First up: Not to long after my brother and I started in model rocketry (summer, 1967) we were looking through an Encyclopedia (remember those?)
and under Rocketry found a ~1.5" x 1" picture of what we later learned was the LTV Scout. We immediately figured that us being experienced rocketeers of 2 months or so were ready to move on to scratch building a model of a REAL rocket. So we put pen to paper and sketched out the rocket and parts list which included a TA50-60 tube adapter which you see below. This is the only remnant from that ambitious project which I believe was to use a nail somewhere in the build, though I can't exactly remember where. Why or how this has survived the years is a mystery, but I'm kind of glad it did.

Cool story. I wonder what the nail was going to be for? I wish I had anything in my collection that dated back to the 60's when I flew with my father and first started in the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Second up: 2 kits I had completely forgotten about - the Stinger I picked up when I worked at a Hobby shop part time ( for the 20% discount ). This had been returned before I started my shift, and I talked the manager into selling it to me for 50% off list price. It had been returned open, and was probably going to be written off and thrown out, but I couldn't let them do that. The 'Hawkeye' was a Christmas present.

Talking down a store manager on rocketry pricing is becoming a lost art. I'm guilty of that myself .....
SAM# 0052

Last edited by snaquin : 05-07-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:27 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Wow, you and Jay back around the same time! It's like the virus woke something primitive in some of us. Either that, or we're all just bored out of our gourds. Good to see you around again.

Really, huh? I just saw the posts from Jay on the Tau Zero. Our governor extended the stay at home order until 5/15 since New Orleans area got hit pretty bad. Not sure when my doc will let me return to work though. I have two check marks on the "underlying medical conditions" list so I'll probably be inside a while.

Yeah, when not working from here at home boredom definitely try's to get a hold of you. Digging through some of this rocket stuff will keep me busy!
SAM# 0052

Last edited by snaquin : 05-07-2020 at 07:05 PM.