Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The communications issue has also apparently been rectified as well.

It's not often that folks have to deal with too strong of a signal. If I had to choose a problem with a deep space probe, I think that would be the one I'd choose. It would eventually solve itself even if they didn't make adjustments on the ground.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It's not often that folks have to deal with too strong of a signal. If I had to choose a problem with a deep space probe, I think that would be the one I'd choose. It would eventually solve itself even if they didn't make adjustments on the ground.

Yeah, I am no radio guru at all, but I would imagine picking up signals that close with some of the deep space network radio dishes (when they are designed for picking up signals many, many millions of miles away) had to be akin to someone sticking a bullhorn up to your ear and saying “HELLO THERE!!!”.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-31-2020, 04:37 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, this is a cool liftoff shot of a type you don’t see often. Must have had a heavy filter on the camera to cut back the blinding white glare of the raw exhaust plume.

From the Mars Rover launch yesterday morning.

Link: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...everance-launch

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 07-31-2020, 04:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Well, this is a cool liftoff shot of a type you don’t see often. Must have had a heavy filter on the camera to cut back the blinding white glare of the raw exhaust plume.

From the Mars Rover launch yesterday morning.

Link: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...everance-launch

Earl

I have an image of the Falcon 9 Heavy that was made just like that. It's one of my rotating wallpapers.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 PM
Apollo Nut

I do recall a similar shot being posted on the forum before; don’t know if it was the same one you are referencing, but it had a very similar look. Just a different booster.

That really is a blazing inferno; it is hard to imagine any materials holding up to such as that, but obviously there are materials that do.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 07-31-2020, 08:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I do recall a similar shot being posted on the forum before; don’t know if it was the same one you are referencing, but it had a very similar look. Just a different booster.

That really is a blazing inferno; it is hard to imagine any materials holding up to such as that, but obviously there are materials that do.

Earl

Here is the Falcon Heavy shot. It's a tad big to do an inline image. It's a landscape shot so its a little better for wallpaper.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/19...nHeavy11Apr.jpg

In case anyone is wondering how it was shot, here are the image properties. It was an Eos 60D at 1/8000s and f/14.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  properties.png
Views: 4
Size:  123.4 KB  
Old 07-31-2020, 08:31 PM
Apollo Nut

I don’t think that is the earlier one that I recall, but that one may be even more impressive! If the fires of Hades are anything like that, woe to the ‘unbelievers’! (Ok...apologies to any religious offenses that might be perceived...none are intended).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I don’t think that is the earlier one that I recall, but that one may be even more impressive! If the fires of Hades are anything like that, woe to the ‘unbelievers’! (Ok...apologies to any religious offenses that might be perceived...none are intended).

Earl

If you do a google search, there are several variations of the image with different focal lengths showing more booster, different exposures for brigher/darker images, different camera angles, etc. Pick out the one you like.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, after a late July launch last year, Perseverance is approaching its landing appointment on Mars.

At approximately 3:55pm (eastern) February 18th, Perseverance is scheduled to set down on the red planet. NASA TV will of course be carrying it live starting a couple hours ahead of that, and I suspect a number of news networks will switch to live coverage of the landing leading in to those final minutes ahead of 3:55pm.

Like Curiosity rover in 2012, Perseverance will also use the scary ‘sky crane’ landing system to (hopefully!) lower the rover gently to the surface. I recall this portion being a nail biter back in 2012 listing/watching the Curosity landing.

As a refresher, here is a fairly well done animation of the landing sequence for Perseverance. Well worth a watch. Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rzmd7RouGrM

I’ll try to post another reminder to this thread two weeks from tonight, which will be the night before the actual landing.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-04-2021, 06:50 AM
Master Modeler

So where does the skycrane go after it drops the rover?