Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Jack Hydrazine Jack Hydrazine is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Can you do a PNC-50x? I donít think Estes has that mould anymore.


They don't have the mold anymore for the PNC-50X? Looking at the list of kits that the PNC-50X were in one that stands out is the Photon Disruptor (kit# 1282).

The original kit (#1282) was produced from 1976 to 1981. It was re-issued around 2010. I still see the kits being sold on Ebay and Amazon. Did they use a different nose cone in the re-issue?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2020, 04:30 PM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hydrazine
They don't have the mold anymore for the PNC-50X? Looking at the list of kits that the PNC-50X were in one that stands out is the Photon Disruptor (kit# 1282).

The original kit (#1282) was produced from 1976 to 1981. It was re-issued around 2010. I still see the kits being sold on Ebay and Amazon. Did they use a different nose cone in the re-issue?


The original BT-50 based PD #1282 (1976-1981) has unfortunately never been reissued.

From 91-92, Estes offered an upscale, the #2052 Photon Disruptor II, BT-55.

In 2010 to 2014, they reissued the upscale BT-55 version, but just added to the confusion by dropping the ĎIIí and just reissued the upscale as the 3025 Photon Disruptor.

I feel like they donít have the 50x anymore is because it was used initially for very few models, and Estes didnít use it for the re-issue of the Multi-Roc. Jon Boren has recreated or reimagined at least three other classic cones, hereís hoping this simple but elegant one will return.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-2020, 06:35 PM
olDave olDave is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 119
Default You would think----

There should be some way that Estes could coordinate with one or two of the larger modroc hobby vendors when they purchase these NCs. OK, so Estes is no longer interested in the spare parts business, they only want enough parts to make their bagged-up kits. That's fine. But I don't know why they would object to someone else buying a few hundred (or thousand?) NCs. It's not like a few spare parts is gonna cause any disastrous drop in sales for Estes, these NCs would only really be marketable to a niche portion of us rocketry nuts.

Buying these NCs in bulk would probably only be reasonably do-able it done at the same time Estes buys its own several thousand. And the stamp of "official Estes part" would be legit, versus the suspicions that would be raised over someone else ordering the same parts at some later time.
__________________
NAR 20602
used to be "powderburner" in another life
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 10,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olDave
But I don't know why they would object to someone else buying a few hundred (or thousand?) NCs.

At one time, their reasoning was to prevent a potentially competitive company from using their parts to make kits.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2020, 12:05 AM
Jack Hydrazine Jack Hydrazine is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
The original BT-50 based PD #1282 (1976-1981) has unfortunately never been reissued.

From 91-92, Estes offered an upscale, the #2052 Photon Disruptor II, BT-55.

In 2010 to 2014, they reissued the upscale BT-55 version, but just added to the confusion by dropping the ĎIIí and just reissued the upscale as the 3025 Photon Disruptor.

I feel like they donít have the 50x anymore is because it was used initially for very few models, and Estes didnít use it for the re-issue of the Multi-Roc. Jon Boren has recreated or reimagined at least three other classic cones, hereís hoping this simple but elegant one will return.


Is the nose cone for the BT-55 version simply an upscaled version of the 50x?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-19-2020, 01:16 AM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hydrazine
Is the nose cone for the BT-55 version simply an upscaled version of the 50x?


I would say no, I think he PNC-55AO is a little more pointed. These are kits that used it (through 2009):

071075, PNC-55AO (Blow Molded),
BOMARC
Prime Number Explorer
Vigilante
Cobra-1500
Sea Strike 'D'
Sky Bolt
Blue Bird Zero
Comet
NASA Pegasus
Space Station Aquarius
Magician
Pathfinder
Meteor
Photon Probe
Photon Disruptor II
F-22 Air Superiority Fighter
Firebird
Meteor
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-2020, 02:04 AM
Jack Hydrazine Jack Hydrazine is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 134
Default

After doing more research on the PNC-50X I found that e-Rockets sells a version of it.
http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-bals...al-sem-bnc-50x/

as does Balsa Machining Service.
https://www.balsamachining.com/dwgs/cones/BNC50X.pdf

The length of the nose cone seems slightly different on what's posted on RocketReviews from BMS. Not sure who is more accurate.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes...-cone-4023.html
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2020, 09:49 PM
5x7's Avatar
5x7 5x7 is offline
Sometimes collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,134
Default

Itís likely that erockets is correct because Carlís reproductions were very accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 AM
aeppel_cpm aeppel_cpm is offline
Ciderwright
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Burlington, WI
Posts: 601
Default

I also think both the X and AO would be great to have modeled.

I had Gordon make both for me in BT70 size. Elegant shapes.
__________________
Charles McGonegal
Ciderwright
AEppelTreow Winery & Distillery
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Jack Hydrazine Jack Hydrazine is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 134
Default

Yes, I can do both the X and the AO!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2021