Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2021, 02:09 PM
Old Submariner

You’re right. Sorry.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 01-24-2021, 05:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I know what you mean. I’m still kicking myself for not scooping them up at Fry’s when they were in the clearance bin for $10 each.

WWWWWHHHAAAATTTTT? If I had known that I'd have sent you $100 (plus tax) for ten of them! I'd have ten nice 4" nosecones for way less money than I can turn them out of balsa!!!
Old 01-24-2021, 05:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
WWWWWHHHAAAATTTTT? If I had known that I'd have sent you $100 (plus tax) for ten of them! I'd have ten nice 4" nosecones for way less money than I can turn them out of balsa!!!

Yeah, those mid 2010s PSII kits went for way cheap money during the Hobbico pre-bankruptcy sell down. The one I really wish I’d grabbed was the Nike Smoke!
Old 01-25-2021, 06:50 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
This thread veered off to the price people paid for the mid-2010s 4” diameter PSII Mega Der Red Max.
Mea Culpa. So, how do you folks think this will fly on the big BP motors? I'm going to make an effort to keep it light, so I can fly it on these at our Low Power sites. I've seen AT Initiators on the E16, and if the wind is low, it's a nice flight. Perhaps there will be a way to shave a little weight, like using tape instead of the plastic retainer, maybe mini-rail buttons in place of launch lugs to reduce drag? Or I could try peeling the BT like is done with NRC models.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-25-2021, 05:39 PM
Master Modeler

Looking at the specs, I would expect pretty satisfying, but not terribly high, flights on the 29mm BP motors. It's quite a bit heavier than the Super Big Bertha (and of course, larger in diameter) but not horribly so. AC Supply's listing projects a max altitude of 600 feet. That sounds more realistic than 1100. That the 4 second delay versions of the E16 and F15 are recommended corroborates that for me. The SBB works best on -6s and the Star Obiter on -8s (especially the F15).

The best way to shave weight on this PSII kits is to build as directed and skip all those lovely "improvements" that people tend to make (especially denizens of that other forum)—building all with epoxy, substituting different materials for centering rings or fins, that sort of thing.

I'm a little miffed at the one review left on estesrockets.com. Whoever "Kevin" is, he obviously has never built a Mega Mosquito or a Super Big Bertha or a Mega DRM.

added later: saw this on the other forum: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...17/post-2093301

It looks like they are three pieces, but not made into a ply sandwich as I was expecting (see Super Big Bertha or Mega Mosquito). Up to now I was all for getting at least one of these, but now I'm not so sure about a 14.5 ounce model landing on 1/8 inch balsa fins..... *sigh*
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 01-26-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:40 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
It looks like they are three pieces, but not made into a ply sandwich as I was expecting (see Super Big Bertha or Mega Mosquito). Up to now I was all for getting at least one of these, but now I'm not so sure about a 14.5 ounce model landing on 1/8 inch balsa fins..... *sigh*
I wonder if papering would add sufficient strength without adding significant weight?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-26-2021, 08:11 AM
Ciderwright

I flew a BT70 upscale of an Estes Vigilante just last weekend on an F15-0 to E16-6 (I think). I only fly it in <5mph winds. It's got a Sandman turned nosecone and papered balsa fins. Not very overbuilt. And even so, it's only 3:1 T:W if you use the peak values and round a little.

I love the idea of staging the 29mm BP motors - its slow liftoff and long burn. But boy, are you weight limited.

The flight ended badly, BTW. The E16 didn't light, so the sustainer lawn darted. While I have backup electronics, I don't use them on this model because of the weight constraint. I will probably attempt a rebuild.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 01-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Craftsman

If you're interested in getting a closer look at the kit parts, here's a little unboxing review of the new Der Big Red Max that I whipped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWOFHy-egs

James
Old 01-26-2021, 11:29 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
If you're interested in getting a closer look at the kit parts, here's a little unboxing review of the new Der Big Red Max that I whipped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWOFHy-egs

James

Nice video James.

I enjoyed the kit history at the beginning of the video.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM
Old Submariner

Yes, very nice video! Plus, the explanation about the self stick decals makes sense.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078