Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2020, 10:53 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
"softball girls... squealed when [Tau Zero] took off."
*That's* a good reaction.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 10-05-2020, 05:17 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
Looks like a nice day out. Autumn Saturdays are the best.
Concerning those new Estes igniters, I've made the following observations this year.
1. My Quest launcher with a fresh 9 volt won't light them either.
2. My 12 volt system melts the wire off at the clip attachment points.
3. If I cut the brown paper binder and separate the wire leads I have a better than 95% success rate with 12 volts. All my good flights this summer have been with snipped new style igniters. Can't explain why, but it works.
Great looking Thunderchief!

You'd likely take the ThunderChief comment back if you were as close as I was to it on Saturday, but thanks. It was a frustrating build. The tube connectors were ill-fitted and very noticeable with copious amounts of sanding. While I was working on it, someone spilled a glass of water across the kitchen table and it soaked everything sitting nearby, including the instructions and the decal.
As for the igniters, I'm going back to dipping my own, likely later this week. I've used up all the ones I did previously, and I had great success with them. Might try using some of them dipped in the melted ping pong ball solution just to see how they do nekkid.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 10-05-2020, 05:18 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Nice report. Thanks, Bill!

The 9V and the current “starters” are a bad combination for sure. The little 9V battery just can’t muster much current. As you learned, if you hold the button down long enough it will eventually get hot enough to light the motor if the bridge wire is tight against the propellant.....

For a handheld controller the good ol’ Electron Beam (or a Solar Controller) with four good AAs in it (Duracells or such) is much more reliable with the soon-to-be-reformulated Estes “starters”.

I suspect all of this is no surprise to you, however.... Interesting Erik’s bit about separating the leads. Maybe that helps get the bridge wire consistently tight agains the fuel?

The old four cell was what I tried to use previously. No joy on that front whatsoever.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 10-05-2020, 05:20 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCooke123
Glad you had a successful day!

So was I. We have a club launch this coming weekend, but it's pretty iffy as to if I'll be able to go or not. I had the need.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-05-2020, 05:22 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
*That's* a good reaction.

It was actually a squeal, followed by "OHMYGOD, WHAT WAS THAT?", so there's that.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Junior Rocketeer

What a great post (apart from the initial launch issues/frustrations)!

Good looking models, a pretty fall day, suitable venue, and even a semi-interested audience. Can't ask for much more than that for yourself, and for those for whom you became an informal model rocketry ambassador.

Pity that even more interest was not shown by any of the potential STEM students out there on the field...
Old 10-05-2020, 01:05 PM
Master Modeler

I typically launch with the Tripoli guys which isn’t a problem of any kind, they always put up a multi rod LPR pad and everyone seems to get a kick out of all my smaller rockets going up, but next time I have a chance to fly with the NAR club I think an all Semroc & Centuri fleet would be a hoot! I have both but more Semroc than Centuri. Looked like a fun morning - nice pix 👍

Estes has promised improved starters - mentioned late last year before the pandemic heated up and again during vNARAM...hopefully they actually are improved and we start seeing them soon.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
The softball girls started arriving after the Astron flight. At first it was just a Dad and two girls practicing fast pitch, so I kept things set up since I was flying from left center field. Fifth flight of the day was the Vector V. Left the pad headed for deepest center field and everything looked great. At ejection there was a flurry of activity aloft, and when the dog barf settled the Vector V came out of the cloud clearly tangled in the shock cord and Kevlar. The whole hot mess landed hard in short center field, and when I got to the tangled pile I found one of the fins had broken off in the melee. I walked the whole outfield looking for the bright red fin, but found nothing.

Good looking Vector V - mine needs seams filled and painted. One of the kits I wanted as a kid but never bought for some reason. I did build a fiber fin Moonraker but don’t remember if I flew it more than once. Nice thing about loosing a V V fin is it’s fairly easy to replace - card stock is cheap and plentiful!
Old 10-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
It was actually a squeal, followed by "OHMYGOD, WHAT WAS THAT?", so there's that.
Hey, at our age, I'll take what I can get.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 10-06-2020, 10:34 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Good looking Vector V - mine needs seams filled and painted. One of the kits I wanted as a kid but never bought for some reason. I did build a fiber fin Moonraker but don’t remember if I flew it more than once. Nice thing about loosing a V V fin is it’s fairly easy to replace - card stock is cheap and plentiful!

Being a Semroc kit, I think this one was balsa, but that shouldn't make a difference. Next time it flies you won't know there was an "event".

I miss being SAM 0058