Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Craftsman

This is a BT55 baffle that I'm adding to the rocket. It's one from my website (read that as an FYI, not as self promotion.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  baffle.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  324.5 KB  
Old 10-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Craftsman

It kind of looks good all assembled and unpainted. Sort of rustic futuristic.

Then, as I do with most of my models, I lather on that gray filler sandable primer. Two to three coats. Way easier than balsa filler. And, the extra weight is good to help keep the rockets close to earth so the rocket gods don't reach down and tease me by drifting my rocket out of sight.

Also, after that first pass of primer, and after only minor sanding, I put on the magical red goop. That's what hides the 3D printer artifact, blends transitions and joints, and hides balsa's grains.

After all that dried for a few days, it got a good sanding and another touch-up coat of gray primer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  assembled.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  242.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  primed.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  714.0 KB  
Old 10-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Apollo Nut

Nice build thread...thanks for posting.

Interested to know if the K-50/1250 kit is the same as the original K-50. Earlier this summer, I built the former, but am interested to know if there are any changes to it from the original K-50.

Face card of the kit I built attached.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Estes Interceptor Face Card.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  664.7 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Craftsman

The K-50/1250 original rerelease is the one that I started with, as you did. I scrounged more information, and was lucky to have some old parts shared with me.

They look to be identical in almost all respects. I saw that the balsa wingtip pods had a slightly blunter profile on the rerelease as compared to the original K-50. But, as we see with other kits, that might be due to entropy taking hold of the balsa grinding pattern. It looks like the plastics are the same, too.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:22 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I think there should be an Agitator, Instigator, Aggravator, Irritator, Antagonizor, Intimidator, Destructor, Explodor, and Aggressor.
Deliberately OFFENSIVE platforms.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Here is my son's Quest Intruder. We built a bunch of rockets together back then. I think this was his 3rd or 4th kit. He did a Quest Harpoon before it and hated the peel-n-cuss decals. I'd been making my own decals for a while so that led him to do the same for his. It is a conglomeration of Intruder, Interceptor, Vindicator and original decals all customized to match the theme. An Intruder would go well with your Interceptor family. Just ditch the original decals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  intruder.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  285.0 KB  
Old 10-09-2020, 04:19 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Here is my son's Quest Intruder. We built a bunch of rockets together back then. I think this was his 3rd or 4th kit. He did a Quest Harpoon before it and hated the peel-n-cuss decals. I'd been making my own decals for a while so that led him to do the same for his. It is a conglomeration of Intruder, Interceptor, Vindicator and original decals all customized to match the theme. An Intruder would go well with your Interceptor family. Just ditch the original decals.

Sharp looking Intruder. I have an Intruder in my stockpile of kits. And I’ve got some extra Interceptor decals. I’ll have to try them when (if) the kit ever makes it onto my Build List.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Craftsman

That's a good looking Intruder, TBZep.

I'm with you on the decals. I've been redrawing almost of the decals and laser printing them with water slide. The Intruder you show has way more embellishment with the decals than I committed to. I like how yours looks.

Oh yeah, it was asked if the pods I'm using were from online. All the parts are drawn by me. None online are from me.

I do like the idea of the names Instigator and Intimidator, like GH suggested. I might apply them to a couple of my designs.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Craftsman

I decided that of course the rocket should be painted white. But, also of course, it should look better than white.

I went to the auto parts store and bought a pearl white.

One of my goals was to start using techniques that will be useful to painting the Interceptor E with its pearled, paneled look. I like the way the pearl paint turned out.

But then, who has two thumbs up and didn't take any pictures of the painting steps? Me. That's who.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  paint.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  284.1 KB  
Old 10-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Craftsman

I did, however take pictures of painting the pods.

According to the design manual that Estes provided for the construction of this rocket, there is a very specific color to be used for the pods. Fluorescent orange, that is. Some flat paint that then needs to be clear coated before applying the decals.

I thought my paint was fluorescent orange. But it wasn't. It was safety orange. As per the image on the label, it is not quite red enough. But, then I will assume that the label is a lie, and that the safety orange was perfectly right for my fleet. I mean, they got the white wrong too. It is supposed to be pearl, right?

In the picture is a blob of a brown paper bag, with a couple of pods sticking out. Those are the pods I'm interested in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  painted pods.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  461.5 KB