Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Craftsman

Here is the rocket all assembled.

Well, almost all assembled. I had forgot about the canopy. It was supposed to already be glued, from a laser cut piece of heavy paper. My build surface is really, really cluttered, with the carcasses of too many rockets to build. Some I am building in parallel, some I started long ago and want to get back to, and some that wandered in and won't go home.

It has four launch lugs - two pairs. Maybe so they look like guns. Maybe in case you have two launch rods and want really accurate aiming. I don't know - I just did what I was told with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  assembled top.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  349.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  assembled bottom.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  369.9 KB  
Old 10-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Craftsman

One thing that is a real issue with the NewWay body tubes is that the spirals can show pretty easily. But, they can be hidden with a healthy dose of gray builder primer. And another, and maybe yet another.

And some red putty.

An an emery board for sanding.

In between one of the applications of primer, I remembered about the cockpit. As you can see in the picture in the first post, the suggestion was to put the cockpit on the body tube. But, with all of that work I did to make an interceptor nose cone, I figured the cockpit goes on the nose.f

So, I scraped off a bunch of primer from the nose, and glued it on. That primer was so thick, I needed to fill it back in with the red goop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  cockpit.jpg
Size:  357.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  primer.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  329.3 KB  
Old 10-12-2020, 10:12 PM
Craftsman

Once it dried, I gave it lots of sanding. And one more light coat of primer, and one light sanding with 440 grit.

Instead of painting it white, or brown, or whatever color was recommended, I wanted to go with the shiny metal look of older planes. The F-94 starfire is one example of the look. The XF-90 is another.

So, I painted it with Titanium silver.

I hand painted the pods with several coats of Martha Stewart Acrylic Germanium. It was a bit redder than the paint I used for K-50 interceptor. I used a new (soft and fine bristled) wide brush. The first coat didn't apply much color. By the 4th coat all looked good, but there were a few brush strokes. I lightly sanded with 440 grit and then applied brushed on one last coat.

A last step before the decals was to apply clear coat. I planned on putting it on after the decals too. But, I've had experience where the clear coat did something to the metallic silver, changing its luster. At that time, the paint under the decals didn't change, so the decals ended up looking a bit funny. This time, if the luster was to change, I wanted it done before the decals were applied. But, the worry was for naught. Oh yeah, floor finish for the clear coat - before and after the decals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  painting pods.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  592.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  painted.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  516.7 KB  
Old 10-13-2020, 07:43 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Looking great. I like the addition of the pods and additional fins under the body. The additional fins were something I considered when building mine but chickened out and went with stock.

Great build. Looking forward to the finished product.

Last edited by john ager : 10-13-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:46 AM
Craftsman

Now, the decals. I drew them up based on my scan of the NewWay decals. Theirs were all black, and I wanted some color.

I added a larger decal for the vertical stabilizers, printed on white decal paper.

I printed the flags on white decal paper.

The other decals, including the Square Force insignia decals were printed on clear paper. But, since the silver would show through, I cut a small shape of white decal paper and put it down first, under the insignias.

I named this rocket the Quadriceptor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  decals tail.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  677.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  decals nose.jpg
Size:  599.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  decals right.jpg
Size:  887.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  decals left.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  649.7 KB  
Old 10-13-2020, 12:29 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ
Now, the decals. I drew them up based on my scan of the NewWay decals. Theirs were all black, and I wanted some color.

I added a larger decal for the vertical stabilizers, printed on white decal paper.

The other decals, including the Square Force insignia decals were printed on clear paper. But, since the silver would show through, I cut a small shape of white decal paper and put it down first, under the insignias.

That is a good looking rocket........
Old 10-13-2020, 12:35 PM
Master Modeler

David, I love it!

I'll bet Rick Randol will, too.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-13-2020, 02:22 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:

I think you just designed thier next rocket, including the name. Well done!
Old 10-14-2020, 01:49 AM
Craftsman

Oh yeah, and a baffle. Based on John Ager's comment, I decided it should have a baffle.

I tweaked one of my baffles into a square baffle, just for the NewWay designs.

I had already installed the kevlar and shock cord, so I just slid the baffle past it. It's about 4 1/2" inches into the body tube, leaving enough room for the shoulder, parachute, and cords. And a bit of wadding if I decide to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  baffle sheet.jpg
Size:  154.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  baffle.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  153.2 KB  
Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Oh yeah, and a baffle. Based on John Ager's comment, I decided it should have a baffle.

I tweaked one of my baffles into a square baffle, just for the NewWay designs.

I had already installed the kevlar and shock cord, so I just slid the baffle past it. It's about 4 1/2" inches into the body tube, leaving enough room for the shoulder, parachute, and cords. And a bit of wadding if I decide to.

Can you put the baffle up for sale? Great idea!