Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2020, 02:42 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_BAR
Hey Steve! I was hoping to make the TRA-LA this weekend as well, but doesn’t look like I will be able to make it. Hope all goes well with your wife’s surgery. See you at one of the spring launches.

Cheers,

Philip
Hi Philip, I didn’t know you were here on YORF. Small world
Thanks for the well wishes. They discharged her yesterday around 2:30PM so she’s home but her incision is really sore so trying to help out where I can.

You know I loved witnessing and photographing your cert flight at our last launch with your 4” MDRM rocket. Quick story but Toby Vanderbeek had run out of Estes nose cones and looks like Estes doesn’t offer that nose cone any more so he was out of MDRM clone kits on his website. I emailed him a few times that I was interested and he happened to find four more nose cones to make up four kits and he emailed me and I snagged one of those clone kits a few weeks ago! I have custom Stickershock vinyl for it too ...

I am also working on a Minnie-Magg that I purchased the same decal set for but will paint it Blue and Black so the Minnie-Magg will be a 5.5” Blue Maxx.

https://www.vander-burn.com/s/shop

https://stickershock23.com/product/...d-stickershock/

I’ll have two MAX type rockets to fly in the spring with TRA-LA in Winnsboro. My two MAX’s are a far cry from Bill’s extensive MAX collection but I am very excited about getting into these two builds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  A35C2963-83E9-495A-BDBE-2173C3F8D85F.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  631.7 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 11-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I am a bit bummed. I wanted to go to the Pueblo Launch (site of NARAM-60) today, but just getting over being sick, and the thought of getting up at 5am and driving 3 hours (~200 miles from home) just wasn’t in the cards.

Hope to hear about you breaking 200 flights. That is just an amazing number of flights for one year!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-07-2020, 08:20 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I'm pulling a double shift (48 hrs) to put out the cornfield stubble fire you start.

I gave hazmat training in the morning and responded to a structure fire in the afternoon. Busted my ass shagging hose and taking my turn on the nozzle. Eventually succumbed to heat exhaustion and got transported to the ER. Good days work. Wanted to fly rockets too, but it wasn't in the cards for me.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 11-08-2020, 07:05 AM
BAR

WOOSH had its monthly "Sod Farm" launch yesterday, and had a great turnout for a November launch - probably a dozen cars, 20+ fliers. It was certainly the warmest ever November launch I've been to in WI, topped out near 70 degrees. The theme was Cato & expired motor day. I won a Cato award with one D12-5 and two E9-6 Catos in a Rocketarium Hexagon. The E9's made an impressive roman candle. Also flew a few motors from the '70s, the oldest was a 1/2A6-0T from 1972 (with NAR permission, of course).
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-08-2020, 08:27 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Hi Philip, I didn’t know you were here on YORF. Small world
Thanks for the well wishes. They discharged her yesterday around 2:30PM so she’s home but her incision is really sore so trying to help out where I can.

You know I loved witnessing and photographing your cert flight at our last launch with your 4” MDRM rocket. Quick story but Toby Vanderbeek had run out of Estes nose cones and looks like Estes doesn’t offer that nose cone any more so he was out of MDRM clone kits on his website. I emailed him a few times that I was interested and he happened to find four more nose cones to make up four kits and he emailed me and I snagged one of those clone kits a few weeks ago! I have custom Stickershock vinyl for it too ...

I am also working on a Minnie-Magg that I purchased the same decal set for but will paint it Blue and Black so the Minnie-Magg will be a 5.5” Blue Maxx.

https://www.vander-burn.com/s/shop

https://stickershock23.com/product/...d-stickershock/

I’ll have two MAX type rockets to fly in the spring with TRA-LA in Winnsboro. My two MAX’s are a far cry from Bill’s extensive MAX collection but I am very excited about getting into these two builds!

Glad to hear that you were able to get that MDRM clone kit. You might want to consider going the 38mm motor mount route. That is what I did specifically to fly that CTI H110 motor.

I was sure Estes would continue to carry the nose cone since it is so popular. I guess they have their business reasons. I will still get the 3” version when it comes out.

Cheers!

Philip
Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
It looks like all of Ohio will be launching on the 7th - except me. I have a prior commitment that is nonnegotiable. Hopefully the weather is good enough on the 21st for my first L1 attempt. Good luck and safe landing to everyone this weekend! 👍

Where do you normally fly, Scott?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-09-2020, 06:29 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Bill my club has another launch scheduled for Saturday and Sunday that I had planned to fly at but my wife had a rescheduled outpatient procedure today so unfortunately we won’t be able to make the launch this weekend

+1 to what GH said about looking forward to your flight reports. I’m thinking of cancelling my Apple TV+ subscription because your blog has more content and is much more entertaining and free of charge!

MAX-imize your flying time bro

I only managed seven flights, but could have done more. I spent 30 minutes beating the bushes for the lost rocket of another flyer. Two stage Estes kit whose name escapes me, but it had the motors flipped. C6-7/C6-0 or something similar. First time I've ever seen a rocket pointing straight down as the second stage fired. It landed in some reeds along the creek, but hid itself well. They recovered the booster, but the sustainer remains the Cedarville Hide & Seek Champion for 2020.
Hope all went well for your wife.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 11-09-2020, 06:31 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
WOOSH had its monthly "Sod Farm" launch yesterday, and had a great turnout for a November launch - probably a dozen cars, 20+ fliers. It was certainly the warmest ever November launch I've been to in WI, topped out near 70 degrees. The theme was Cato & expired motor day. I won a Cato award with one D12-5 and two E9-6 Catos in a Rocketarium Hexagon. The E9's made an impressive roman candle. Also flew a few motors from the '70s, the oldest was a 1/2A6-0T from 1972 (with NAR permission, of course).

Wow! A CATO award?! I'm going to have to contact the WSR President. Someone must be holding out on a backlog of prizes with my name on them.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 11-09-2020, 07:21 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Where do you normally fly, Scott?

At the South Amherst field in northern Ohio with my club, NOTRA, or at a friend’s dairy farm a few minutes from home. I thought about driving to Dublin on Sunday to the CSAR launch but there’s really nothing I could launch there I can’t fly at the farm this week. If I’d been able to go to the NOTRA launch I would have done my L1 attempt.

Someday, when this pandemic nonsense is over, we’re going to do a road trip to the Neil Armstrong museum , attend a WSR launch, go to the AF Museum and stay for a build night at eRockets.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:29 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
At the South Amherst field in northern Ohio with my club, NOTRA, or at a friend’s dairy farm a few minutes from home. I thought about driving to Dublin on Sunday to the CSAR launch but there’s really nothing I could launch there I can’t fly at the farm this week. If I’d been able to go to the NOTRA launch I would have done my L1 attempt.

Someday, when this pandemic nonsense is over, we’re going to do a road trip to the Neil Armstrong museum , attend a WSR launch, go to the AF Museum and stay for a build night at eRockets.

I hope we get to do the build nights again soon. That was the benefit of having a golf off-season, but now I have nothing to live for.

I miss being SAM 0058