Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2020, 10:16 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
But...but...you like crashes? I'm beginning to think GH stands for constant contradictions in some other language.

Clusters are cool and super easy to accomplish if you take your time, use the right equipment, and know what you're doing.

I was thinking the same thing. I recently found my missing clip whip, so I've been dragging my clusters out and dusting them off. I have yet to fly my Astron Ranger and Satellite Interceptor upscale, but I dragged them along this past weekend. I also have the Semroc Defender and Scrambler in primer. If it rains tomorrow, I might get some work done on these two.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-10-2020, 11:28 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I like old-school cluster birds like the Ranger, Cobra, Defender, Egg Crate, and Scrambler.
Nothing better was available when they were designed.
That said, my Semroc Saturn 1Bs have single engine mounts and are exclusively flown on COMPOSITE engines.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That said, my Semroc Saturn 1Bs have single engine mounts and are exclusively flown on COMPOSITE engines.

Domesticated fowl

Old 11-10-2020, 01:34 PM

Yes, but the aroma is far less FOUL.
I ONLY like FOUL aromas when DELIVERING to others, not having to consume them.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:00 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin

[...]

It was painted with old Krylon that I no longer have so I don’t want to mess it up either. It’s actually on the bench waiting for that repair so I can fly it in the spring

[...]

Steve, if you used the REALLY old Interior/Exterior Krylon (acrylic lacquer), and not the follow-on Indoor-Outdoor crap, you are in luck. Krylon rebranded it Acrylic-Quik, and available online. Downside is most places make you buy a case, but deals can be found. Grainger sells individual cans.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-10-2020, 05:49 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I get such enjoyment from reading your flight reports, whether they be at 'B6-4 field' or further from home.

Work/career has me living in Virginia, but we have a home in Ohio east of Columbus. Come second retirement (#1 was a 20-year career in the USAF) we'll likely end up there. Perhaps one day paths will cross at a launch...

You've still got weeks until midnight on 12/31, any thoughts on just how many flights you may be able to get in by the end of 2020?
Old 11-10-2020, 06:39 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Stack
I get such enjoyment from reading your flight reports, whether they be at 'B6-4 field' or further from home.

Work/career has me living in Virginia, but we have a home in Ohio east of Columbus. Come second retirement (#1 was a 20-year career in the USAF) we'll likely end up there. Perhaps one day paths will cross at a launch...

You've still got weeks until midnight on 12/31, any thoughts on just how many flights you may be able to get in by the end of 2020?

Actually, I do. To date my 200 flights have been on 178 different rockets, so only 22 more will give me 222 flights on 200 rockets. I'm hoping to get up to the field for a while to launch a few, and we have several more cornfield launches scheduled before the end of the year. One way or another I shouldn't have too much trouble with my weird little personal quest.
The Cedarville cornfield is southwest of Columbus, so we may eventually fly together. Great field. Great people.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-11-2020, 05:36 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Steve, if you used the REALLY old Interior/Exterior Krylon (acrylic lacquer), and not the follow-on Indoor-Outdoor crap, you are in luck. Krylon rebranded it Acrylic-Quik, and available online. Downside is most places make you buy a case, but deals can be found. Grainger sells individual cans.
Perfect Lee! Yes, I painted it with the old acrylic lacquer Krylon white. I only need one can.

https://www.grainger.com/product/KR...Paint-in-54TG71

Interesting fact. When I bought my Lil’ Hustler I asked Carl what color he used on his Lil’ Hustler model that I saw in his NARAM pictures. He used John Deere Yellow on his model

I might just sand and then wick some CA into the two cracks and fill with Bondo spot putty. If it isn’t strong enough after that I may put a light epoxy fillet over it but the fin is still holding in the slot. Feels like a surface crack like maybe some dummy didn’t prep the tube well enough for the epoxy to grab rushing through the build to get it painted and in the air.

All you guys are the experts in rescues and repairs does that sound like a pretty good plan? I want to tape off the yellow ... I don’t have any more of the yellow paint on hand either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2C0A390E-B347-4E85-B63E-422841ECD154.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  1.44 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  E1B2FD5D-2D8E-474B-BA3C-5E0DF60EF7FC.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  1.26 MB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 11-11-2020 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Steve-I would try wicking in some thin CA into those cracks and press down hard.
You may find you won't see the cracks anymore.

I have built and still have all the Semroc SLS kits in flyable condition except the SLS SkyHook and Brighton. Not interested in those because they didn't exist in the past.
I still have NIB SLS Hustler and Lil Hustler kits too.
They are all great fliers .

Old 11-12-2020, 01:19 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I’ve done a few repairs to cracks like GH suggests. On cracks that can be spread open a bit, I’ve applied epoxy, and forced into the crack with a gloved finger dipped into denatured alcohol. Then wiped smooth to make sanding easy.

Unfortunately, most of the flying fields in Colorado are hard soil, sometimes littered with gravel, occasionally cactus. Bigger chutes and a lot of praying for a soft landing are common.

Steve, if you lived close by, I give you a partial can of the old Krylon white. I painted a small rocket with a 20 year old unused can this past summer. Still sprayed just fine. One partial can I had was pretty well dried up, which is what I was expecting from all my old stock.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp