Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I really need to think about selling some of it off.
Or trading.

Show me yours, and I’ll show you mine...

Rockets!!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-14-2020, 07:39 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Found on various Facebook pages:

(Not mine).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  122691887_10158235691802935_9118227153123509963_n.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  57.5 KB  
Old 11-15-2020, 12:44 AM
Craftsman

I enjoyed the thrill of the hunt and acquiring many kits. I also collected vintage plastic model kits and Rock & Roll memorabilia. After the acquisitions and taking up shelf space they lost their luster to me. A lot of them are religated to storage boxes where I can't even look at them easily.

I've started selling off the stuff recently. Now retired I want to get an RV and travel extensively and this money will help acheive that goal.

I'll never completely abandon my collecting but will limit it to a small collection of choice items I'm more connected to.

Plus I would never build anywhere near what I have now so keeping it all really makes no sense. My kids know the value of the stuff and won't give it or throw it away but I know they won't want to keep it either. I would rather take that burden away from them and unload most of it now while I can enjoy it.

Last edited by SCooke123 : 11-15-2020 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2020, 11:15 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I have many collectible/rare kits and I intend to BUILD them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
That is probably one of the best options, IMHO. I will build and give away. The rest goes into the dumpster after I die.

Great thread Wolf.
It certainly got me thinking. I don’t have anything rare enough in my collection to be of much interest to most at the auctions. The stuff I have collected over the years I do intend to build as much of it as I can for as long as my health holds out. My son has zero interest in any of this stuff I have in bins although he absolutely loved flying with me when he was a kid and I have fond memories of that.

I have also built and given away models. There is a satisfaction to know that I put my best efforts into building and finishing a rocket and then giving it so someone that really appreciates it and will fly and enjoy it and make it part of their own collection.

Kits in my collection that I know I won’t build either because I lost interest since I bought it or just knowing that I’ll never really get around to building it I will consider giving to my club as a donation or an individual that really wants it. If I’m really not going to build it why keep it in a plastic tub if I’m not a collector?

Although I have the utmost respect for those that do collect, it was never my intent to collect for the intention of having my collection gain in value to later turn it for a profit. My collection is very personal to me. I love my early numbered kits too. When I recently went through bins of my stuff each kit tells a story. I remember discussions with Carl on most all of the bagged Semroc kits [and part kits] that I have had email exchanges with Carl and Sheryl or the pre-production SLS Hustler parts only kit that I had before the kit release or the one of a kind EnerJet Nike-Ram that Carl cut fins for me with tabs to fit his LT-125 slotted tubing. To me you can’t put a value on these things because they are priceless ... to me.

They are for my enjoyment, to build or to pass on to others. I never thought of them as anything more than what their personal value was to me and in that respect they are worth a fortune.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 11-15-2020, 11:28 AM
rocket dinosaur

I think we should bequeath our rocketry collections to the NAR and then let them auction off the stuff at either NAR events or Ebay......and consider it a donation.... otherwise your children will either try and sell it on Ebay themselves or just trash it....
Old 11-15-2020, 12:06 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Great thread Wolf.
It certainly got me thinking. I don’t have anything rare enough in my collection to be of much interest to most at the auctions. The stuff I have collected over the years I do intend to build as much of it as I can for as long as my health holds out. My son has zero interest in any of this stuff I have in bins although he absolutely loved flying with me when he was a kid and I have fond memories of that.

I have also built and given away models. There is a satisfaction to know that I put my best efforts into building and finishing a rocket and then giving it so someone that really appreciates it and will fly and enjoy it and make it part of their own collection.

Kits in my collection that I know I won’t build either because I lost interest since I bought it or just knowing that I’ll never really get around to building it I will consider giving to my club as a donation or an individual that really wants it. If I’m really not going to build it why keep it in a plastic tub if I’m not a collector?

Although I have the utmost respect for those that do collect, it was never my intent to collect for the intention of having my collection gain in value to later turn it for a profit. My collection is very personal to me. I love my early numbered kits too. When I recently went through bins of my stuff each kit tells a story. I remember discussions with Carl on most all of the bagged Semroc kits [and part kits] that I have had email exchanges with Carl and Sheryl or the pre-production SLS Hustler parts only kit that I had before the kit release or the one of a kind EnerJet Nike-Ram that Carl cut fins for me with tabs to fit his LT-125 slotted tubing. To me you can’t put a value on these things because they are priceless ... to me.

They are for my enjoyment, to build or to pass on to others. I never thought of them as anything more than what their personal value was to me and in that respect they are worth a fortune.

Steve-

Agree with you completely on the profit part of it. Never has been my intention to collect as an ‘investment’ or to make money from them. Just trying to fullfil my childhood dreams and in some cases, try to document and preserve some of the more rare kits, in particular the Centuri stuff. But if I wanted to do something to make a profit, it would NOT be investing in rocket kits!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-15-2020, 02:30 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have a pre-release SLS Hustler from Carl as well, in addition to the ONLY Athena prototype.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-15-2020, 09:30 PM
Level 5 Certified

Collecting is fun, but the fun of collecting has faded for me. I could have anything in Jonathan's stuff to keep, and I can count on one hand what I have kept so far (and I don't need my thumb). Including stuff I sold him a long time ago.

It is great fun, though, to pull the surprises out and look at them. Before COVID hit, I had a group of friends to help me process all this stuff. It was so much more fun to do this together in group. We had a great time swapping stories and memories. It is much less about the money, and so much more about sharing the joy of Jonathan's collection.

It also fun to see the new people that it goes to, and the enjoyment that get out of it.

Matt
Old 11-15-2020, 09:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Matt-

Jonathan was truly blessed to have such a wonderful set of friends around him like you all to help take such dear care of him in his time of need.

And now, to help handle his collection which, if he is like many of us, he spent much time and care in collecting over probably quite a few years. Most of us will probably not be so lucky to have our respective collections handled so well.

Hats off to you for doing this for Jonathan and allowing his last days to be full of friends and dignity. Would that all people in such need be so blessed.

Keep up the good work of spreading the ‘joy’ that Jonathan worked so hard to collect. I suspect in some way, Jonathan can see the smiles his work is generating now, with your help.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-15-2020, 10:00 PM
Level 5 Certified

Thank you, Earl! That means a lot.

More stuff to come this week. Based on both feedback and auction results, I am planning to continue using the pure auction format for the foreseeable future.

Matt