Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2020, 12:52 PM
Mildly Insane

Balsa is absolutely horrible to turn on a lathe. You have to have very sharp tools and it tears more than shears. Basswood (aka Linden) is MUCH better. It is slightly heavier but no where near hardwood weights and takes details very well and is a dream to turn.

I have my own wood lathe but if I were asking someone to turn anything for me, I'd get it done in basswood rather than balsa.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by heada
Balsa is absolutely horrible to turn on a lathe. You have to have very sharp tools and it tears more than shears.

Sharp tools and the good sense to put the tool down and finish it with sandpaper.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:33 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

Wink

I myself don't build for competition, I am more into looks and fly mainly on smaller local fields now days, so lower is usually better for me.

I know most newbies coming into the hobby seem to like the plastic nose cone and transitions better. I was even happy about it when Estes and Centuri moved that way.

With that being said, I love 3D printing. It has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for the model rocketeer.

If I'm looking at going higher or building a true full clone of some of the earlier rockets, then balsa would be more important to me. I see E-Rockets starting to sell down on a lot of balsa stuff to. I do hate to see that, still a lot of cones I want to do.

The first to go was the balsa nose cones and adapters, you normally don't see any on a Level 1 and above rocket, not sure how much longer balsa will be around above the fin line anyway. That may be why there are so few to turn to for custom balsa work.
=======================
Old 12-14-2020, 01:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
since China bought out the worldwide market on Balsa, perhaps everything should be 3D printed......Somebody who has the time and means should 3D every Nose Cone, Adapter, Transition, etc into a 3D file and then it will all be there for future rocketeers.... If you can't afford a 3D printer to do it yourself, there are various places online that will do it for you.

If somebody knew CAD you can take a 2D image and convert it into a 3D object file that a 3D printer can use..... unfortunately for me that's above my knowledge scale.....

I did successfully convert a .pdf file into a 2D .svg file in AutoCad

Back when I had AutoCAD, I use to convert my rocket files to 3-D, but that was before the proliferation of 3D printers.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by heada
Balsa is absolutely horrible to turn on a lathe. You have to have very sharp tools and it tears more than shears.

Never had good results using harder woods (began using a drill, later got a Dremel brand lathe). For balsa, I use lathe tools for the basic shape and keep the diameter oversized. Sometimes go to a file after that. But often the next step is 80 to 100 grit sandpaper. If it is a "flat line" like a conical transition, I have the sandpaper on a sanding block. Using the 80-100 grit to get the shape close to final, and diameter close to final with leaving it a little bit oversize. Then go to 220-240 sandpaper, and then 400 sandpaper.

I will admit that I rarely turn balsa parts. In the last 20 years, maybe only 5 times. During that time, I was usually getting balsa parts made by BMS or Semroc or Roachwerks. And so only usualy made my own when there was not time or it was something small/simple enough and not critical for accuracy.

Even the years I did it more frequently, the 1980's, probably rarely more than 3 or 4 a year. Ironically I think the year I turned the most number of balsa parts....was to create master parts for vac-forming nose cones. For a LONG time, most of the balsa parts I turned were for master parts for vac-forming and not actually used on models.

The most I turned in a year was probably 1984 when I worked on this Delta 3920 model. It needed 9 identical strap-on noses, and 9 identical nozzles, and a uniquely shaped BT-70 nose. No way was I going to turn NINE noses for those boosters, they would not have looked the same and would have probably had to reject several. And the nozzles otherwise would have been cardboard shrouds which would not look very good with the overlap joint line and inevitable irregularities at that small size. I turned balsa master parts for all three and vacuum formed them. And that was my reason to finally build a vac-forming box and frame so I could begin to do vac-formed parts. And then with the door to vac-forming opened, I made some other balsa master parts that year (and afterwards) to vac-form for other projects such as egg capsules.

Here is what may be the last part I turned, almost 4 years ago. Ironically it was a hardwood dowel, not balsa, because I needed it to be hard enough to be able to turn the tapered ends very small in diameter without bowing or wobbling or breaking.

It was for a master part for molding copies of landing gear struts on my Lunar Module Quadcopter. Here's a photo showing a pair of them, black, in the middle left of the image.

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 12-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 PM
Craftsman

Default I apologize if this is too far off-thread, but

I have the same question about BMS, except I have not found anyone currently cutting custom low-power centering rings from that black fiber-board stuff. BMS used to do great work....but they quit that too. Anyone have any ideas where I can look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuyge
It seems that Bill over at BMS isn't interested in doing any custom (nor anything not on his lists) anymore.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:28 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

I like the Fiskar larger plastic cutter for cardboard ring making from about 1” up 4” dia. Out of cardboard.

I like the smaller cutter for smaller than 1” rings out of cardboard.

On larger lower powered rockets I like using 1/4” foam board with card board on each side.

I’ll cut over half way through then flip the board over and finish it off. It makes a very strong light weight centering ring.

Even the Apogee 1/70 Saturn V uses cardboard centering rings with a G powered rocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  BED3D1F7-AC96-4AC0-9C35-3DF92E47E115.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  101.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DFA05B43-A6FA-47BB-A343-60810134A5DB.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  80.6 KB  
=======================
Old 12-14-2020, 11:13 PM
Craftsman

Default Yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
I like the Fiskar larger plastic cutter ......

Maybe it's a great tool, maybe it is the best circle cutter in the world, I just don't want to fart around with stuff like this. I need several **hundred** rings made, and I would prefer not to lose my mind in the process. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:37 PM
Master Modeler

If you need that many, maybe ping David Qualman (DavidQ on here). He doesn't advertise custom work, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 12-15-2020, 12:42 AM
Master Modeler

Starport Sagitta has the master made and will be turning the transitions in balsa within the next week. Anyone wanting some please PM me for price and additional info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  101_1614.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  545.8 KB  

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.