Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2021, 05:27 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile Little Joe II 1/125 build

Just purchased a LJ II from Bryce Aerospace.
Was looking for suggestion for the aluminum lower ribbed roll? Bare metal foil? Chrome spray paint?

Looking for recommendations, suggestions

https://airandspace.si.edu/collecti...sm_A19930712000
Old 01-11-2021, 10:41 PM
Craftsman

My method of choice is space blanket glued to card stock with contact cement. And then you add parallel scribed lines from the back. 125 scale may need a custom nose cone. Let me know if you need one printed.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:35 AM
Scale builder

If your looking for a more "Scale" appearance, I'd go with a good aluminum/silver paint. Photos of the full scale rocket show a somewhat raw aluminum finish, not a "Mirror" chrome look. The Bare Metal Foil "Matte Aluminum" foil would look scale. In the end I guess it comes down to your skill/comfort with the materials.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantonjtroy
If your looking for a more "Scale" appearance, I'd go with a good aluminum/silver paint. Photos of the full scale rocket show a somewhat raw aluminum finish, not a "Mirror" chrome look. The Bare Metal Foil "Matte Aluminum" foil would look scale. In the end I guess it comes down to your skill/comfort with the materials.

Is Bare Metal Foil basically just a thin mylar covering with an adhesive? And of course, the Matte Aluminum is out of stock.

Does anybody recommend a matte aluminum spray paint?

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-...m/dp/B015B8Z0IW

should I spray the model white first, then matte aluminum on the bottom portion?

I was then going to try and do the black parts as a decal from my inkjet printer.

It doesn't have to be "scale" as long as it more or less looks somewhat like the original. was going to use Geoge Gassaway's LJII data as a guide for coloring.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

I remember clear coating some aluminum paint years ago. It reacted and got a slightly chalky look on it. It was very similar to real aluminum that's been sitting outside. It gets that chalky oxidation on it. Not saying you should do that, but if a LJII sat outside for testing a month or two before flight, I bet it would look similar. It was so long ago, I don't remember which clearcoat I used.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:29 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Note that the Chrome on the original Cox Little Joe-II was done out of expediency, not accuracy (uh, note the lack of UNITED STATES decals on the side, and the inaccurate tower). One can never make a good scale model by trying ot duplicate the errors in a bad scale model.

Note, I really like the Cox model for what it was, but do not go down the rabbit hole of copying inaccurate things that you do have an option to do more accurately. I saw a FLYING Lunar Module quadcopter that was based on the Metal Earth LM, so it did not look very good. Such a shame the builder did not base his model on say a Monogram 1/48 LM or one of the nice paper models.

I used to use an Aluminum paint by SNJ that is no longer around. Then used Model Master Aluminum since then.

Trying to "cover" with foil will drive you nuts.

A number of photos on various missions on my website. Seems like with some of them the aluminum was pretty shiny when originally built but oxidized by the time some of them flew.

http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale.../JoePhotos.html

http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale...JoePhotos2.html

Below, Mission A-004 on pad (5th and last one to fly)

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 01-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

George, the fin control surfaces have a little trapezoidal extension on the tips. Have you read what they were for during your scale research?
Old 01-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
George, the fin control surfaces have a little trapezoidal extension on the tips. Have you read what they were for during your scale research?

Those are paddles so the vehical can play "pong" with itself!
Old 01-12-2021, 05:27 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

If you want to go for the chrome look, I like Krylon Chrome. Better yet is trim Monocote but getting it into the ribs would be near impossible.
For "shiny aluminum" I like to use a silver spray paint (I generally use Krylon as it's more user friendly).
Don't clear coat either the chrome or silver paint - it'll ruin the shiny finish (I think Future works OK).
Old 01-12-2021, 06:39 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Has anybody here purchased any of Boyce Aerospace "naked" models? Do they need a primer coat? Do they need to be sanded beforehand? any prep work?

GEORGE G:

I just want a semi-scale look alike...it doesn't have to be anywhere near scale quality. I just like the COX LJII because of it's small size, and I always liked the look of the LJII.... I don't have the patience or the skill to do anything remotely scale.

I will probably just make it kind of look like the old Cox version as it's going to be a backyard and small park flyer.

using some cardstock and chrome mylar film .....some stick-on vinyl type decals....nothing fancy....to get the gist of it.