Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2021, 07:16 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
I don't know how it goes in other school systems, but in sixth grade in Ohio were I lived circa 1974, we were taught all sorts of shop, sewing and cooking skills in sixth grade. Not all of them intensive (we learned the theories behind welding and were given the opportunity to run a bead), but enough to give you a taste of the practice. It was then that I was taught (hand) drafting skills which would become my life's pursuit. In addition, trying to remember all the "shop" skills, we were taught:
setting type for an offset printing press
plastics working
sand casting
drafting
woodworking
Electric Arc Welding

I was kinda shocked sometime in the early 2000's to visit my old middle school when my oldest daughter was there, to learn that all of the "shop" class rooms had been converted to regular class rooms and that they weren't teaching that stuff anymore.

At most public schools, the shop classes were shut down between 20 and 30 years ago because of those icky and dangerous tools/machines did not fit into the "everyone goes to college" mantra. One of my wife's cousins was a longtime shop teacher in the Chicago Public Schools system. He finally got tired of having to spend the first 3 months of shop class teaching the kids how to read and do simple arithmetic before he could start teaching them how to make wood bowls and jewelry boxes. He retired and moved to Nebraska.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

Today they force advanced math concepts down kids' throats before their brains are mature enough to really grasp it. They can't wrap their heads around simple fractions, but they can do slope-intercept. They have ZERO decimal discipline. They have no clue how to divide with a pencil and paper and nobody can write in cursive. They are taught very little grammar, but are expected to read books and write good papers on them. This isn't a teacher problem. It is a state standards problem.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:17 PM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
When I was in junior high I had classes in two diferent metal shops, a wood shop, a drafting room, and a print shop. By ninth grade (1982) the school district had adopted a new policy and I had to take cooking, sewing, and home economics. I can't imagine kids nowadays using the equipment we had access to back then - welders, torches, gas fired soldering irons, table metal shears, lathes, bandsaws, etc. That cirriculum now is only available in a separate vocational-technical school building across the street from the high school.

I hear you. As a grade 8 student around 1970 or so I was within a cohort of young kids that were transferred into a brand new entity for our particular school district: a "Senior Public School" (gr. 7-8). Although the concept was new (to us), the designated school building had previously been a "Collegiate Institute", a high school with a number of dedicated technical classrooms. Woodworking, metalworking, you name it, the school board not only required ALL of us to do such really cool things but also provided highly experienced "shop" teachers to guide our devious little minds and bodies in such pursuits. I still have a wooden billy club that I turned on a lathe and there's probably a cookie cutter in a kitchen drawer somewhere that I personally cut out of sheet metal, folded, snipped and soldered in place. And all these years later I still remember what the teachers drilled into us about oxy-acetylene safety! Although my education and career path ultimately took me away from the technical trades track, I am grateful for the grounding that even such a brief sojourn gave me in handling tools and heeding (if not always precisely following!) instructions.

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!