Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2021, 08:26 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Thanks to Lee, I think I'll go with a 7" sustainer (I've never liked working with fractions). I've found that a CR2050 makes a nice tube cutting guide.

I'm slower at building than I used to be. Raining here today so no outdoor work. So, I'm gluing the fins on the booster. After these set up, I think I'll start working on the sustainer. Then, got to prep some rockets to launch tomorrow. It's my granddaughter's birthday and she's REALLY been enjoying going to the local club launches. Specifically......"PaPaw, if we can launch rockets on my birthday it would be a dream come true!" How can I not launch rockets tomorrow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Fins to booster.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  126.6 KB  
Old 03-27-2021, 09:14 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Thanks to Lee, I think I'll go with a 7" sustainer (I've never liked working with fractions). I've found that a CR2050 makes a nice tube cutting guide.

I'm slower at building than I used to be. Raining here today so no outdoor work. So, I'm gluing the fins on the booster. After these set up, I think I'll start working on the sustainer. Then, got to prep some rockets to launch tomorrow. It's my granddaughter's birthday and she's REALLY been enjoying going to the local club launches. Specifically......"PaPaw, if we can launch rockets on my birthday it would be a dream come true!" How can I not launch rockets tomorrow?

Don,
I'm looking forward to seeing you finished Tiger Shark. I got my final coat of primer on mine yesterday, but not sure when the weather will give me another chance to paint.

I love your grand daughter’s view of going to a launch — “a dream come true”. Hard to say “No” to that!
We have four granddaughters (!), and I have taken the two older ones to launches. They live near the CRASH launch site in Morrison (now shutdown, sadly). The two littlest granddaughters will be ready in another year or so. It is always fun to get them involved in model rocketry.

Re: COSROCS, I know a few people that fly with the club, but I think it was shut down last year due to fire bans. I have flown alot at SCORE in Pueblo, but a long haul from Fort Collins. We do have a new NAR Section in Longmont, which is pretty close. Hopefully no (or fewer) fire bans this year.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-27-2021, 11:21 AM
A Rocketeer

Quote:
Your Bertha Shark looks great. How's it fly?

Don, it flies good as a two-stager. Gliding booster -- not so good.

Greg
Old 03-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Master Modeler

Got the fins glued to the sustainer. Kinda reminiscent of the Estes Sky Hook. Went to get some A8-0s from Hobby Lobby. Guess what? Hobby Lobby doesn't stock them . I thought this might be an issue and was considering going 13mm (still have a bunch of 13mm boosters) but then there's the issue of gap staging. I think I'll take a ride to the "brick & mortar" shop and see if they have any on the pegs.

Lee - When I flew with COSROCS, I went to a couple of regionals we had with CRASH. There were a couple of fun events I remember.....F 1/2 dozen egg loft duration and the paper airplane boost glide duration.

Greg - Still selling the COSROC t-shirts? After 25 years, mine has shrunk considerably and I'd like to get another. Maybe a couple of sizes larger to avoid the shrinkage issue. (WOW! Almost sounds like a Seinfeld episode.... )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Stacked Out.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  136.7 KB  
Old 03-28-2021, 06:46 AM
BAR

Don,

I've found that an A8-0 doesn't provide much altitude for the booster of a Black Widow, which is pretty similar in size, and get a very short glide. I've gone to using B6-0, with an A8-5 sustainer, to get a longer glide. Surprised I haven't lost the sustainer - wish I could still get 1/2A6-4 - I prefer not using 1/2A3-4, staging is less reliable with the tiny nozzle.

So does a Tiger Shark have stripes?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-28-2021, 07:35 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the advise Paul. I was able to order some A8-0s from AC (the brick and mortar didn't have them either) but I was thinking I'd probably fly it on the B6 (I've still got plenty of those).

I was looking at using an actual tiger shark coloring scheme and then started thinking how bright of colors that wouldn't be. Where we normally fly is pretty grey right now. So probably a fluorescent orange with black stripes. Of course, that's considered camouflage on a tiger...
Old 03-28-2021, 03:13 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:

I was looking at using an actual tiger shark coloring scheme and then started thinking how bright of colors that wouldn't be. Where we normally fly is pretty grey right now. So probably a fluorescent orange with black stripes. Of course, that's considered camouflage on a tiger...

My color choice was going to be medium gray, with an orange nose cone, like my childhood version. One fin on each stage might get orange paint. I don’t recall if I did the fins orange, but probably. I seemed to paint a lot of my rockets with fins differing in color from the body tube.

I guess it will look like a spotless/stripeless tiger shark, with a sunburned nose. (And no white belly ...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  C8DE537A-2807-4BC4-A197-CBAF8D5E2543.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  68.4 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-28-2021, 06:46 PM
A Rocketeer

Quote:

Greg - Still selling the COSROC t-shirts? After 25 years, mine has shrunk considerably and I'd like to get another. Maybe a couple of sizes larger to avoid the shrinkage issue. (WOW! Almost sounds like a Seinfeld episode.... )

Don,

Seinfeld. Great show. I will check about T-Shirts and send you a PM. COSROCS had a launch yesterday but I was unable to attend.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:51 PM
Master Modeler

Got it primed and to the point of finishing the paint. I've decided to leave the rudder side of the rocket in the primer white since it gives a dull finish and then paint the other side with Krylon Matte Glacier Gray. I'm not great at painting but I'm hoping the overspray would kinda blend into the white on the belly with no definite line of demarcation. The stripes and teeth are another issue. I'll work it out on paper and if it looks good, maybe TRY to place them on the rocket. My goal is to have it ready for the local club (Mid-South Rocket Society https://midsouthrockets.com/) launch on Saturday. My A8-0s are yet to come in (shipped USPS ground.....) so it looks like the B6-0 will have to work.

Some construction notes. I didn't put the launch lug on the booster. I thought it would be better if the sustainer fins fell directly in the middle between the booster fins. So I attached it at the root of one of the sustainer fins. This also takes some weight (how much does a launch lug weigh) off the glider.

I also tried to give the booster fins (not the rudder) an airfoil shape similar to a gliders wings to perhaps provide some lift. With a total of six fins at lift off, I'm hoping this doesn't affect the boost phase too much. Trimming for glide without the paint didn't work too well. Got some time to get it perfected
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Primer.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  83.8 KB  
Old 04-06-2021, 07:54 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Hey Greg! Those were GREAT days! I particularly remember the day we all huddled in the doorway of the school waiting for the FREEZING wind to die down so we could launch! Those were the first organized launches I ever participated in.

Your Bertha Shark looks great. How's it fly?

BEC.....I've been to launches where I've lost the booster stage because the guy I asked to watch it kept watching the second stage. "Where'd the booster go?" "I don't know man.....I was watching that other thing fly out of sight...."

Yup. The dangers of launching at 4:20.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078