Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2021, 01:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
The original Mars Snooper is a deceivingly heavy model. The new one may be as well.

Never built my MS, but I did build and fly the MS II. IIRC, it always flew well on B6-4's (or maybe it was B6-2's...can't remember) as long as the chute didn't get hung up on the landing legs. I do remember chute tangles a few times.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I’m sorry, but for some reason I just don’t like the screw-type engine retainer. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but perhaps it’s because the model is such a classic. I may or may not omit it when I build mine.

I’ll have to say I have NEVER like the look of the screw-on engine retainers in just about ANY kit.

I’m sure they are very effective in their function, but they seem a very ‘clunky’ solution to a problem that has, as far as I can tell after 45 years in this hobby, been long ago solved by metal engine locks/clips/retainers that have been out since the latter 60s and in wide use since the early 70s. Or masking tape/friction fit for high power motors.

They look like a random piece of plastic plumbing hardware that someone decided might be a ‘different’ solution to a solved problem.

Just not a very elegant looking solution.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-04-2021, 02:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I’ll have to say I have NEVER like the look of the screw-on engine retainers in just about ANY kit.

I’m sure they are very effective in their function, but they seem a very ‘clunky’ solution to a problem that has, as far as I can tell after 45 years in this hobby, been long ago solved by metal engine locks/clips/retainers that have been out since the latter 60s and in wide use since the early 70s. Or masking tape/friction fit for high power motors.

They look like a random piece of plastic plumbing hardware that someone decided might be a ‘different’ solution to a solved problem.

Just not a very elegant looking solution.

Earl

I agree. I especially think it's odd that some folks (not YORFers) who obsess about model weight still use them.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:39 PM
Master Blaster

I think someone got the idea from the cap on a baby bottle. It just looks bad and if you forget or
loose the locking ring then you are back to square one.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
I would think that Estes wants everyone to use their BP engines for the launches, so even with a screw type retainer a lip will have to be taped on the BP engine or friction fitted to hold it in the mount right?

Absolutely not! All the kit uses of the 18 or 24mm versions of the screw-on mount I’ve seen use a motor block as well. These include the Boosted Bertha, the SLV, and this new Super Mars Snooper (I got an advance look at it at NSL last weekend).

The 29mm models (Super Big Bertha, Star Orbiter) don’t have a motor block so you do need a tape thrust ring at the back. That lets you use other 29mm motors easily.

It appears that I am a dissenting voice on this. I really like the screw-on retainers. They are fast, they are easy, and they are much less likely to be damaged over the long term than the tail of a motor hook hanging out. They also eliminate the slit in the motor tube at the top that, in time, tears, often away from the motor block.

I have begun using the 18mm versions on new builds of kits or clones (or when I needed to replace a blown out motor mount as on one of my Big Berthas). I also put one on my Silver Comet and on a recent Vagabond build.

The only thing I don’t really like about them is that the threads are slightly different between the glue-on versions of the retainers and the ones that are integral in the ARF family of models (such as the recent Ghost Chaser and Astrocam).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 06-04-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
It appears that I am a dissenting voice on this. I really like the screw-on retainers. They are fast, they are easy, and they are much less likely to be damaged over the long term than the tail of a motor hook hanging out. They also eliminate the slit in the motor tube at the top that, in time, tears.

I have begun using the 18mm versions on new builds of kits or clones (or when I needed to replace a blown out motor mount as on one of my Big Berthas). I also put one on my Silver Comet and on a recent Vagabond build.

The only thing I don’t really like about them is that the threads are slightly different between the glue-on versions of the retainers and the ones that are integral in the ARF family of models (such as the recent Ghost Chaser and Astrocam).

You’re not alone - I like screw on retainers, I’ve ginned up my own from bottle caps and such and really like the Estes versions. I haven’t tried the 18mm ones though there are a couple unbuilt kits waiting that have them - disappointed that the threads aren’t compatible though. There is the appeal of simplicity in using a motor hook - with some classic designs it would be my go-to choice (with the finger tab cut off, of course!). I think the screw on retainer looks good on the Snooper and the Interceptor.

Last edited by Scott_650 : 06-04-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:49 PM
Old Submariner

Don’t get me wrong, I DO like the screw on retainers—except when (IMO) it detracts from the beauty or the elegance of the model.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 06-04-2021, 08:04 PM
Master Modeler

It appears that there are some who just don’t like ‘em, period.

When I think about the look, I think about what the model looks like with a motor installed and (if friction fit or using a hook) sticking out of the back of the model. I think in most cases the screw-on retainer looks as good or better than that. I even built an Alpha VI with the 18mm screw-on retainer….and it actually looks pretty good to my eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  B2620265-4132-49EE-A9FC-805377910B71.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  500.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  8C70910E-BE01-4E3A-98C3-67E911359EF7.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  345.9 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Old Submariner

That Silver Comet is pretty. Did you have to recover it in the rain?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 06-04-2021, 09:11 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Jeff. I used your V-2 build approach on that model.

I haven’t had to recover it in the rain yet….though that May day when the picture was taken was kind of threatening. I have it with me right now (am at my Dad’s house in Santa Fe after being at NSL). Maybe it’ll get flown at the Tri-Cities Rocketeers launch next weekend, since it didn’t at NSL.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE