Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2021, 10:37 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Default Estes V-2 mods, splinter camo paint

This is my redo of an older Estes V-2 I built a couple years ago. I had cut down the fins to scale profile, but wanted to add further enhancements. I lathe-turned a pointy nose cone tip, cut off a bit of the rounded-tip stock nose cone, and epoxied the new tip in place. I also added chain drive covers to the fins, and then used Peter Alway’s V-2 Painting Guide to add the ragged/splinter camo paint scheme. I used Tamiya masking tape (LOTS of Tamiya tape!) and Tamiya lacquers. Still to be added are a few simple markings used with this camo scheme.

If you have not tried Tamiya spray lacquers, they are practically fool proof. I’ve never had a run, weird texture, crazing, etc. They dry fast. I untaped masks about 30 minutes after each painting session. I waited one day between color changes, but an hour or two would likely be fine. This much taping requires breaks, at least for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  A98CB16F-9DB3-4855-A86F-615DF5CFE5CD.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  1.14 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-16-2021, 11:07 PM
Apollo Nut

Lee-

Nice camo job!

Without giving away too much of Peter's painting guide info, can you tell me the 'sequence' of colors in your paint steps? Paint what first, then mask. Paint what next, then mask again. And final paint.

I guess it is something like that...but I guess that is partly why I'm asking....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-17-2021, 12:01 AM

Earl,

First, I gave the entire rocket a coat of Rustoleum white primer, to contrast with the gray primer I used to fill in dings, as well as cover body putty on my mods, like the added nose cone tip.

Next, I shot the white camo color. I first picked a color I thought would be good for the “winter white”, but it had too much gray in it (Tamiya Insignia White). James Duffy recommended Tamiya Racing White (stock # TS-7), which is kind of a creamy. I reshot using the new white paint.

Next, I masked the two white areas, to cover them. Then I sprayed the light brown color (Tamiya TS-46 Light Sand).

Then I completely unmasked the rocket — I removed all tape.

The last color required masking the outer perimeter of all areas to be painted green. And it required masking all the areas outside these green areas, to preserve the white and tan. Lots of work! Finally I shot the green color, Tamiya TS-28 Olive Drab 2.

My description is simplified — I decided after the white was applied, I would paint the nose cone to completion. It was just less cumbersome to handle. Plus, it allowed me to make marks on the body where colors flowed from nose cone to body. I used mostly tape, but where I could, I cut a hole in a plastic grocery bag, and slipped it over a large area, applying masking tape around the cut hole. This did save some masking.

Peter Alway’s painting guide shows four sides of the rocket. He also shows a “skin” of the paint job, as if it were cut off and layed flat. I had to take his drawings and essentially scale the grid so I could lay out locations for masking. The V-2s were painted such that grid point intersections fell on crossing grid lines. This enabled V-2 components from different factories to be painted at those factories, and have the paint aligh during field assembly.

This painting project should make my Semroc 1:70 Saturn 1B a breeze to paint, in comparison.

Last edited by LeeR : 07-17-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:26 AM
Apollo Nut

Ok, thanks Lee. That is helpful!

I’ve never even attempted a camo paint pattern in the past but I have several in my build que that will require one, including an Estes Maxi-Brute V2. But for each, I was not really sure which color sequence to follow for ‘building’ the camo pattern. I hope mine come out looking as nice!

And I DO need to get a copy of Peter’s V2 painting guide...been on my ‘to get’ list for a while and I’ve just not done it.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-17-2021, 09:08 PM

Earl, the camo paint jobs are a lot of work, but it’s fun to peel off the layers of tape and see those new layers of paint. I highly recommend the Tamiya tape. I’ve never had a leak along the mask line. I used 3mm tape when taping along curves, especially the nose cone. Most taping was done with the 6mm tape. For bigger areas, I used some 10mm. These are the standard yellow colored tape. Tamiya also has much narrower tape (white in color) which is more flexible and is ideal for tight curves.

When a large area needs protection from overspray, I will use typing paper and seal edges using the10mm tape. I will also use plastic grocery bags, cutting a hole to slip over the body tube, and then use masking tape to seal that hole in the bag.

I want to start using my airbrush again, especially for camo paint jobs that have soft/blurry edges where the paint colors change. The appeal of this V-2 pattern is the sharp edges at the color change edges, enabling masking to be done with tape.

Last edited by LeeR : 07-18-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:06 AM
Level 3

Nice camo job! I will be building an 8" diameter V2 I am planning on the splinter camo. Trying to use what is listed on the official color scheme. I was able to locate some 12 once cans of RAL 7028 and what appears to be a good match for RAL 6003 in enamel. I have not located any of the RAL 9003 signal white yet. I sent a message yesterday to the place I purchased the RAL 7028 and the olive green from ( they specialize in WWII memorabilia and restoration ) but have not heard back yet.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:00 PM

Finally completed. I added the markings from the Spacemonkey Models V-2 decal sheet, and gave the model a few light coats of Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic Matte Clear to protect the decals and pride a nice flat finish.

Hopefully our fire bans go away and I can fly it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  0FA43E21-BAD6-490F-B61C-9AF118D3A102.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  1.25 MB  

Old 07-26-2021, 05:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
And I DO need to get a copy of Peter’s V2 painting guide...been on my ‘to get’ list for a while and I’ve just not done it.

Earl

I have here if you need Earl: https://www.asp-rocketry.com/ecomme...nt=22&navPanel=

;-)

Andy/ASP
TRA # 1191
http://www.asp-rocketry.com
Old 07-30-2021, 05:11 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Lee, will I get to see this one at Dove Valley?

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 07-30-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Lee, will I get to see this one at Dove Valley?

Ed,

Yes! I am ready! For model rockets it really is the perfect place to fly, since there is grass. I cringe at the thought of flying it in Pueblo. Too many painting chipping objects on the ground .

I also will have my Farside-X done. Finishing up the painting now.