Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2021, 11:50 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Of the motors you mention, most motor collectors I know have them. I have multiples of all except AVI motors (and I have one of their tiny 1/8a motors). Only the Estes 13mm B would really hit the rarity button, and for me, only if it were of significantly different construction than a Centuri B of the time.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:24 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

When did Estes produce 13mm B motors ?
They are not in any catalog.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-25-2021, 01:23 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
When did Estes produce 13mm B motors ?
They are not in any catalog.

I would assume they were either prototype motors, from the MiniBrute development timeline in '70 and '71, or maybe test motors made on the Centuri machines once they were shipped up to Penrose in the mid 70's and they tried to bring them online but decided they were too different from Estes' processes.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy H.
First, I do clearly know that I can't ship motors, so no worries there.

However, I have recently taken possession of some old/historic motors that need to be placed somewhere that will be better than sitting in a box at the bottom of a closet.

I was thinking if there is a NAR museum or similar that would be ideal. A second alternative I thought of would be to get them to S&T so they could be fired for the purpose of gathering data, if there would be benefit in that. I am open to other suggestions.

As an example of the things I've seen:

Vulcan
FSI
MPC
COX
AVI
Pro-Jet
An Estes 13mm B motor and some other odd Estes motors.

I am in the process of doing inventory, as things aren't organized and there are plenty of 'non-interesting' motors as well.

If anybody has suggestions for the right destination, somehow we'll figure out how to get them to the right people.

Sandy.
Without suggesting a person, persons, organization, or institution to send them to, I wanted to tell you that:

Yes, you*CAN* ship model rocket motors and igniters totally legally, via couriers (FedEx, UPS, etc.) and the U.S. Postal Service, because I have done it myself (and just this morning I ordered a launch set, motors with igniters, and wadding [as a gift shipment for a friend] from AC Supply; it will come here, to Alaska, via Parcel Post).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-26-2021, 09:13 AM

Thumbs up

I like blackshire's above statement.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:29 AM
7/21/61

NAR explanation of the laws regarding shipping model rocket motors.

It is extremely difficult for individuals to ship model rocket motors legally. Dealers like AC Supply can ship motors because they are included on Estes' list of approved sellers and they maintain their hazmat shipping training.

You, too, can certify yourself for hazmat shipping. Course costs roughly $300 last time I looked and has to be recertified every two years.

An individual without hazmat shipping certification can ship motors but is required to obtain a “Letter of Authorization”, addressed to them personally from the USPS Manager of Mail Preparations and Standards in Washington, DC. for each shipment. Believe it or not, I once received some MMI motors from a very nice lady who actually obtained such a certification letter. I consider the letter almost as rare as the motors, maybe more so, LOL.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I like blackshire's above statement.
Thank you--As Gus related, there are ways to do it legally, although I wouldn't characterize them as "extremely difficult." Also, while I'm not advocating this (but not discouraging it, either; it's a personal choice matter), small quantities of motors in parcels usually go unnoticed by postal personnel, and are sometimes shipped accidentally--I know because it happened to me:

A few years ago I ordered several Estes Moon Mutt Launch Sets from an Ebay seller (I like their mini-launch pads, and the Moon Mutt's red BT-20 plastic nose cone is perfect for cloning the *early* (having different decals and a red-molded nose cone: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...86/86est26.html ) Estes Viking kit. When I received the Moon Mutt Launch Sets, I had a pleasant surprise--they were ^Starter^ Sets! Now:

Each one contained a single, bagged 13 mm mini motor with one igniter and igniter plug, and each box also bore a small transparent peel 'n stick decal with lettering, which Estes had applied. Each decal said that the Launch Set had been re-opened at the factory and that one mini motor (it was either an A3-4T or an A10-3T, if memory serves), igniter, and igniter plug had been added. The decal was pretty small (and not obvious to see, just slightly over 1" square across the entire clear decal), and I don't think the seller noticed it; neither did the U.S. Postal Service. :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-26-2021, 10:15 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

As the first sentence in the thread stated, I am clear that I cannot legally ship motors and I am not going to. If, at some point, it becomes apparent that the motors will have a good final destination that I can't arrange to meet someone half-way to hand them off, then I'll figure out a method to get them shipped legally - that's just how it works for me.

Any additional suggestions for a good place for them to go are appreciated. It sounds like the Seattle Museum isn't a reasonable option at this time due to backlog/repeat artifacts.

Throw out some other thoughts and I'll at least consider them.

Sandy.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:56 AM
Apollo Nut

Worst case, sell the motors to a collector and donate the money to either the NAR or MOF, or use the money to buy some starter sets for some local underprivileged kids or youth groups.

If you can, post at least a few photos of the motors...maybe a wide shot or two of the entire collection and possibly a closeup shot or two of the more unusual or rare motors in the group.

Lots and lots of people have ‘motor collections’, so it could be once some images are shown and shared amongst a knowledgeable group, it may be determined that, while a ‘nice collection’, they may not be really all that super rare or completely ‘worthy’ of a spot in a museum collection. Their sale value, donated to a worthy cause though, might be the better option.

Just a thought....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-27-2021, 09:30 AM

It is ridiculous that there is ANY regulation of hobby rocket motors other than "flammable solid".
Any further shipping regulation is ABSURD.
One more instance on NUISANCE intrusion by the gubmint. Should be the purview of the shipping company ALONE or a Free-Fer-All with no gubmint snoots butting-in whatsoever.