Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2021, 10:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
It is ridiculous that there is ANY regulation of hobby rocket motors other than "flammable solid".
Any further shipping regulation is ABSURD.
One more instance on NUISANCE intrusion by the gubmint. Should be the purview of the shipping company ALONE or a Free-Fer-All with no gubmint snoots butting-in whatsoever.

You can legally have an 18 wheeler stacked completely full of rocket motors.If they are on separate pallets of 1,000 lbs or less, no placard is required to warn us of impending doom. Same goes for corrosives, poisons, etc. The motors need a permit and a little piece of paper stuck to the pallets, but that is useless when we walk up to a wrecked/burning semi that hasn't spilled its guts.

In the fire service, we have been taught that a WalMart truck can potentially be the most hazardous of all overland shipments. It can be completely filled with lantern fuel (white gas), ammonium nitrate, insecticides, ammo, etc. and not have a single indication of what it carries because of the way everything is packaged. Mix and match your deadly cargo! Customize your death with the convenience of Walmart's friendly service!

So, GH, I agree that the regs on shipping a pack or two of motors for an individual is a-s-i-n-i-n-e. (forum software considered it a cuss word).
Old 08-27-2021, 10:19 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have learned to use the word "absurd" in place of your more accurate wording to avoid the editing of a$inine.
Should not require a permit or "little piece of paper" either.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-27-2021, 07:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I have learned to use the word "absurd" in place of your more accurate wording to avoid the editing of a$inine.
Should not require a permit or "little piece of paper" either.
Yes--G. Harry Stine described how, when he was living in New Mexico and working at the White Sands Missile Range (it might still have been called "White Sands Proving Ground" then, in 1957), he received the first model rockets, motors, and ground support equipment (a launch pad and fuses) from shoe seller and amateur pyrotechnician Orville H. Carlisle, before model rockets even existed from the legal standpoint. The parcel or parcels came to Las Cruces by railroad mail, with various explosives-type (and perhaps also flammable materials) stickers (the classifications of these have since been reorganized into the various classes used today), which made him a little leery of them--he kept the motors outside in a can, in his home's back yard at first! But the point is: even these new, heretofore-unknown devices *could* be--and were--perfectly shippable*, with the accepted (although too extreme to really fit the product's purpose) caution labels on the packaging.

* YORF red-underlines "shippable" as a typo; Outlook Express (my e-mail program) doesn't--fascinating... (My ears are pointed too, just rather differently.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-27-2021, 07:06 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I understand that there are methods that can allow the motors to be shipped and there are people who disagree with the red-tape.

If some form of shipping is required at some point, I'll figure out how to have it done legally.

If we agree to stop talking about shipping, I'll be glad to post a few pictures of some motors I thought were interesting. If the rest of the thread is going to be about shipping, I'm out.

Sandy.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy H.
I understand that there are methods that can allow the motors to be shipped and there are people who disagree with the red-tape.

If some form of shipping is required at some point, I'll figure out how to have it done legally.

If we agree to stop talking about shipping, I'll be glad to post a few pictures of some motors I thought were interesting. If the rest of the thread is going to be about shipping, I'm out.

Sandy.
Please keep in mind that we are trying to help you--if you want to "pull a Shrox" and run away (not unlike "I'm going to take my ball and go home!"), while I can't speak for anyone else here, I don't think anyone will "chase after" you if you do--I certainly won't. But more cheerfully:

Yes, I would like to see pictures of your motors, and I'm sure that others would as well. A thought: If any of them have sticker-type labels (Cox and early Quest motors, among others, had/have these), if you could photograph or scan them without damaging them (a print shop might be able to do this, using a circular-path camera [these are also sometimes used for TV special effects, such as making a person's head appear to be spinning around; Bill Nye the Science Guy did this, too]), and saved the scans as downloadable files, anyone could make his or her own "boutique antique" motors, to go with the same companies' rockets that such people have (the files could be posted here on YORF). They could be printed on 8-1/2" x 11" Avery self-adhesive label paper sheets, then be cut out and applied to current motors of the same--or very similar--total impulse and delay time.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I'll try to get pictures later today, but every inch of bench space I've got is covered with documentation I'm sorting through to try to get those items in the right hands as well. It was a bankers box about half full that got disorganized when it was pulled from the filing cabinet, so things are a bit of a puzzle now. So far, I have about 7 days 3-4 hours per day sorting and inventorying to hopefully get some benefit to the local club members, the NAR and some of Doug's friends from times past that i have managed to contact.

Sandy.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy H.
I'll try to get pictures later today, but every inch of bench space I've got is covered with documentation I'm sorting through to try to get those items in the right hands as well. It was a bankers box about half full that got disorganized when it was pulled from the filing cabinet, so things are a bit of a puzzle now. So far, I have about 7 days 3-4 hours per day sorting and inventorying to hopefully get some benefit to the local club members, the NAR and some of Doug's friends from times past that i have managed to contact.

Sandy.
Thank you, and there's no "deadline" for that. I understand your situation, having a tiny (sub-"Tokyo-size") apartment, with about 1 square foot of kitchenette counter space to build models on! (There's no place to temporarily move the microwave oven and table radio to, even though that would open up more counter space--besides, lugging the microwave and the radio *back* into place after each "build session" would be a real drag.) Likewise, I have so little space elsewhere in here--and so many books, flyers, pamphlets, etc.--that I must periodically "rotate" the books I want to read, or just look at, between the closets (and storage boxes) and my recliner chair-side table and a "book-stacking-atop box" on the floor, on the other side of my recliner chair.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-28-2021, 12:37 PM

Sounds like you need some storage space for books instead of hogging your living/hobby space, Blackshire.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Sounds like you need some storage space for books instead of hogging your living/hobby space, Blackshire.
I'd love to have more storage space, but that costs more $$$ (to rent a bigger apartment, or a storage room at the local U-Haul storage building), which I can't afford. My situation also has an unusual "fringe benefit," that I didn't realize immediately but am thankful for now:

In Golden Towers (our disabled & elderly public housing apartment building), we have periodic inspections for cleanliness and functionality of appliances. They are surprisingly strict (like Army barracks inspections), and getting my unit *that* clean takes all I've got, energy-wise (and I can't get it that clean too soon before an inspection date, as it's impossible to keep it spotless and still live normally--or what passes for normally for me, now). But, I found, every square foot of floor space that is covered with boxes of books, or stacks of books, is an area that I *don't* have to vacuum or sweep with a broom--just removing any dust from the boxes or book stacks with a duster (which is easy) is all I need do to pass that part of the inspections.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-28-2021, 02:09 PM

Inspections of senior housing for cleanliness ?
WTH ??
Years ago, the local "housing inspector" wanted to be let in to inspect our lake condos.
I told him if he held ownership, I'd be glad to, otherwise get the hell outta here and don't come back.
He got the clue.