Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default QCR kit - Mary Poppins Bumbershoot?

I've acquired a QCR Mary Poppins Bumbershoot rocket (QCR kit 530) from a former rocketeer, and am wondering if anyone has a copy of the instructions to help guide me in some repair work on it. It's a kit that, from what I could find, was released back in 1996, and uses an automatic-opening umbrella for a recovery method (umbrella unfurls at the top of the rocket, and while furled, acts as the "nosecone" when launched). I've launched it twice since I got it, and it's a fun flier, but some of the construction uses masking tape which is showing signs of age, and I'm wondering if there are other aspects of the construction that need some "refurbishing". Hoping a copy of the instructions might guide me in assessing the "innards".

I found an old thread from 2012 regarding it (https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...8&page=1&pp=10), but haven't located a copy of the instructions or plans anywhere (it sounds like folks on the aforementioned thread may have exchanged some copies).

Anyone have a copy of the instructions for this kit that they can send me?

Last edited by DebZee : 11-13-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:05 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebZee
I've acquired a QCR Mary Poppins Bumbershoot rocket (QCR kit 530) from a former rocketeer, and am wondering if anyone has a copy of the instructions to help guide me in some repair work on it. It's a kit that, from what I could find, was released back in 1996, and uses an automatic-opening umbrella for a recovery method (umbrella unfurls at the top of the rocket, and while furled, acts as the "nosecone" when launched). I've launched it twice since I got it, and it's a fun flier, but some of the construction uses masking tape which is showing signs of age, and I'm wondering if there are other aspects of the construction that need some "refurbishing". Hoping a copy of the instructions might guide me in assessing the "innards".

I found an old thread from 2012 regarding it (https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...8&page=1&pp=10), but haven't located a copy of the instructions or plans anywhere (it sounds like folks on the aforementioned thread may have exchanged some copies).

Anyone have a copy of the instrucitons for this kit that they can send me?

Hi DebZee,
I've sent a PM to Harsas who indicated in the thread you referenced that he had the instructions you are seeking. Harsas still is active on YORF, so, hopefully, he will see the request and can post the instructions for you if he still has them.

You definitely have a very rare, unique bird.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 11-12-2021, 08:01 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Indeed it is a very unusual rocket. I had received as part of a collection from someone even older than myself. Regrettably, I sold it some years back and did not save a copy of the instructions.

I hate rules.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
Indeed it is a very unusual rocket. I had received as part of a collection from someone even older than myself. Regrettably, I sold it some years back and did not save a copy of the instructions.

Hi Harold,

In the old thread, Daniel (dlazarus6660) had requested a copy of the instructions back in May 2012. Do you recall whether you may have sent him a copy back then? If so, then maybe dlazarus6660 can chime in and post a copy if he still has it.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 11-12-2021, 09:44 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Hi Harold,

In the old thread, Daniel (dlazarus6660) had requested a copy of the instructions back in May 2012. Do you recall whether you may have sent him a copy back then? If so, then maybe dlazarus6660 can chime in and post a copy if he still has it.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

To be honest, I have no idea. However, if Danny had wanted a copy and I was able to, I would have likely sent them. Whether or not he has them, I cannot say.

I hate rules.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:36 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for chiming in, guys! I figure finding a copy of the instructions is a long-shot, but maybe I'll get lucky...
Old 11-13-2021, 11:32 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Harold also offered to send a photocopy of the instructions to member GUS who is quite active on this forum.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:31 PM
Craftsman

Default QCR - Qualified Competition Rockets 1997 Catalog

Managed to find and scan a copy of my QCR - Qualified Competition Rockets 1997 Catalog for reference. Looks like they had several unique odd-roc kits. Besides the Mary Poppins Bumper Chute kit #530 (which is shown on the front cover of the QCR 1997 Catalog), they also had a Flying Coat Hanger rocket kit #520 and a Bat and Ball model rocket kit #540 (which looked similar to the Estes Pop Fly kit #2027). The second image shows several of their other kits, which were unusual, as well, such as a Slide Wing Rocket Glider, a Bi- or Tri-Wing Boost Glider, a Folding Wing Rocket Glider, a Flex-Wing Boost Glider and others. They also sold Plastic Model Conversion (PMC) kits such as the F-104C Starfighter.

The Mary Poppins Bumper Chute kit #530 is listed on page 5, which provides a description and some of the specifications of the kit.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  QCR_1997_catalog_front.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  1.08 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  QCR_1997_catalog_other_kits_page.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  944.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf QCR_1997_catalog_pages1-2.pdf (109.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf QCR_1997_catalog_pages3-4.pdf (140.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf QCR_1997_catalog_pages5-6.pdf (171.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 01:53 PM
Craftsman

Here's some history that I did not know concerning the word, "Bumbershoot": https://slate.com/human-interest/20...r-umbrella.html

Apparently, some of the American films such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins helped to popularize the term. "Bumbershoot" actually means umbrella. I thought, at first, that the word, "Bumbershoot", was a miss-spelling on the kit instructions. Turns out, it looks like it was intentional. Looks like, as a play upon words, the kit name was amusingly listed as "Mary Poppins Bumper Chute" in the QCR 1997 Catalog.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Mary_Poppins_Bumbershoot_Umbrella_Recovery_Rocket_kit_530.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  781.6 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 11-13-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Sometimes collector

It looks like from the catalog, deployment was with a burn string. Images are from the QCR website which is still up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  0E6C25CA-0F99-49C2-8421-4287502B3D49.png
Views: 55
Size:  415.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  E044E37D-0EE5-4267-B932-92BC11AC584A.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  168.8 KB