Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2022, 12:34 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf

Harry wrote a follow-up article after he received a letter asking for Honest Ivan measurements:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo...04n03_12-71.pdf
Old 04-10-2022, 01:53 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Harry Stine 's letter

It's a shame that the actual dimensions of the Honest Ivan were never documented, and although it would be difficult to reproduce from just a photograph, I still think I could be done.Has anyone attempted to do it since then?
Old 04-10-2022, 09:11 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have never seen one done.
Probably because the Hydra VII existed and is a FAR better looking rocket.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-10-2022, 09:15 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaffman
It's a shame that the actual dimensions of the Honest Ivan were never documented, and although it would be difficult to reproduce from just a photograph, I still think I could be done.Has anyone attempted to do it since then?

I put quite a bit of effort into interpreting photos some years back. Never got around to building it. I may even had done a Rocklin 3 file. I don't know if J still have that info or not. I know if I do it's boxed away somewhere. I had a fire 3 years ago and have a lot of stuff still packed away. I might do a little digging in the next week or two. Basically I just enlarged the photos to fit a BT-70. I believe the original used a shipping tube for cavier.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:57 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Honest Ivan replica

Well, there are other 7 motor kits available, like the Hydra or the North Coast Cluster Duck, but I've always wanted to try my hand at
producing a replica of the Ivan, if for no other reason then for the historical significance of it.However, seeing as how I don't have any practical experience with clusters, I shelved the idea quite some time ago.But seeing as how custom made parts are more available, I think I t could be done now.But seeing as how there were no documented dimensions for it, it might prove to be extremely difficult to try and approximate the size and diameter of it.But, stubborn as I am I willing to give it a shot. Also, does anyone know if the original rocket still exists, and if so where would it be?It would be 64 years old this year.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaffman
Well, there are other 7 motor kits available, like the Hydra or the North Coast Cluster Duck, but I've always wanted to try my hand at
producing a replica of the Ivan, if for no other reason then for the historical significance of it.However, seeing as how I don't have any practical experience with clusters, I shelved the idea quite some time ago.But seeing as how custom made parts are more available, I think I t could be done now.But seeing as how there were no documented dimensions for it, it might prove to be extremely difficult to try and approximate the size and diameter of it.But, stubborn as I am I willing to give it a shot. Also, does anyone know if the original rocket still exists, and if so where would it be?It would be 64 years old this year.

As I recall, Harry said he gave it to NAR #3, Del Hitch, when Harry moved from Colorado to Connecticutt. He said in the article way back when, he was not sure if Del even still had it at that point. I do not know if Del Hitch even survives to this day; kinda doubt it. He may have been a bit younger than Harry, but still, would probably be pushing into his 90s if he were still around.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-10-2022, 04:15 PM
Apollo Nut

...and a quick search has found that Del Hitch passed away in April, 2019 in Florida, almost exactly three years ago at age 89. So, yeah, he’d be 92 if he were still around.

Looks like he moved quite a bit too after leaving the Colorado area, so it might seem doubtful if Honest Ivan is still around.

Link to obit: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial...ph-delano-hitch

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-10-2022, 04:42 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Dell Hitch

Sorry to hear about that Earl, it probably says a lot about the man considering he was NAR#3, behind Orville and Harry.I doubt that any rocketeers these day would even know his name, except for the real old timers, and there's probably only a few of them left.I started back in 1969 and I was very familiar with Harry and Orville, but I had never heard his name until I read those articles the were posted on here earlier.If it wasn't for these guys who knows where we would be now?
Old 04-11-2022, 11:51 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Harry wrote a follow-up article after he received a letter asking for Honest Ivan measurements:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo...04n03_12-71.pdf

I wonder if seven BT-40 tubes would fit nicely in a 2.5" mailing tube?
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 04-11-2022, 12:58 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Honest Ivan

Don't you mean bt50 tubes?I 'm sure seven bt20'swould fit in a bt70 tube but I don't know about bt50's.What's the di ameter of the NCR Cluster Duck? That's a seven 18 mm motor cluster too.