Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2022, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Future NARAM's - NO "SPORT RANGE", per NAR

The NAR has decided to eliminate the Sport Range from NARAM, starting with NARAM-64 . . .

I would like to hear the reaction of the various vendors who currently sell their products at NARAM.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/naram-63.167611/

Initial Source : https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uplo...erence-call.pdf

QUOTE : ( from NAR BoT Meeting Minutes , June - 2022 )

National Events

Ed said that there will be no Board meeting at NARAM since John will be out of the country. Lynn will run the NAR Town Hall in John’s absence. Ed reminded the Board that the second NSL will roll out in 2023 and that NARAM-64 will not have a sport range. NARAM will be a five-day competition-only launch, probably in Muncie, Indiana. Ed would like to have some time during the Town Hall to announce the changes in conjunction with Steve K. and Dan Wolf, Contest Board chair. Ed noted that separating NARAM from a major sport launch makes it easier to find NARAM sites, since no waiver is required for NARAM. Steve K. reminded the Board that the idea is to have one NSL on either side of the Mississippi River each year. Alamosa has already offered to host NSL West in 2023, 24, and 25.

END QUOTE :

There is no previous mention of this in any previous NAR BoT Meeting Minutes . . . How did Steve Krystal "remind" the Board and how did Ed "remind" the Board, since there is no prior reference to either statement, anywhere in the BoT Meeting Minutes ? There is also no record of any motion or vote on either situation, recorded in the minutes.

https://www.nar.org/board-of-trustee-meeting-minutes

Dave F.

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 07-17-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:40 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
The NAR has decided to eliminate the Sport Range from NARAM, starting with NARAM-64 . . .

Yeah, so? I posted this over at TRF...

I see the inference as more significant than the announcement. The decision is not about taking the sport range away from NARAM. It's about taking NAR competition out of the NAR's premiere annual event. The sport flying is certainly not going away, and it looks like they'll have two national-level events for that moving forward. Intentionally or not, NAR competition is being released to do its own thing, with the small group of people who still do that sort of thing, at a smaller venue somewhere apart from the big annual show. Sport flying hasn't been banned. So who cares what the name of that event is? Go put all your energy and enthusiam into the big sport event.

I wish we could stop calling it "sport" rocketry, and just call it rocketry. The "sport" designation is so dated, and goes back to the days when it was important to signal, "not competition." Those days have darkened, and passed. Let it go. We all flew the G.

Having helped organize and run a NARAM (one that actually turned a profit) I view the decision with a sense of relief. Those few of us who still like NAR competition rocketry will be relieved to live in a world where the rest of the rocketry community has stopped trying to make our micro-hobby into something it isn't, and never was.
MTMA Section #606 President

Last edited by astronwolf : 07-17-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Yeah, so? I posted this over at TRF...

Wolf,

I saw your post on TRF.

My post here is to seek the reactions of vendors, who typically sell their products at NARAM.

Without a Sport Range, the resulting low attendance might result in it no longer being "cost-effective" for some vendors to travel and set up at future NARAM's.

Dave F.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:05 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Wolf,

I saw your post on TRF.

My post here is to seek the reactions of vendors, who typically sell their products at NARAM.

Without a Sport Range, the resulting low attendance might result in it no longer being "cost-effective" for some vendors to travel and set up at future NARAM's.

Good luck. Most of them rarely, or never post on YORF.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 07-17-2022, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Good luck. Most of them rarely, or never post on YORF.

Emailing them is my next option.

Dave F.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:56 PM
Master Modeler

And remember what Steve Kristal said over in the TRF thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kristal posted on TRF
We are not prohibiting the hosts of NARAM from also running a sport range if they want to but the manpower requirements of running both for a week are way beyond what clubs are currently willing to commit to. So hosting a sport range is no longer a requirement of holding a NARAM.

That is NOT the same thing as
Quote:

Apparently the plan already for NARAM-64 is to not have a sport range. That doesn't say a sport range at NARM has been indefinitely eliminated, but that it won't be a requirement going forward.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-17-2022, 10:18 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=BEC]And remember what Steve Kristal said over in the TRF thread:

That is NOT the same thing as
Apparently the plan already for NARAM-64 is to not have a sport range. That doesn't say a sport range at NARM has been indefinitely eliminated, but that it won't be a requirement going forward.[/QUOTE

QUOTE : ( from NAR BoT Meeting Minutes , June - 2022 )

National Events

. . . Ed reminded the Board that the second NSL will roll out in 2023 and that NARAM-64 will not have a sport range

. . . Ed noted that separating NARAM from a major sport launch makes it easier to find NARAM sites, since no waiver is required for NARAM

. . . Steve K. reminded the Board that the idea is to have one NSL on either side of the Mississippi River each year. Alamosa has already offered to host NSL West in 2023, 24, and 25.

END QUOTE :

Dave F.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:32 PM
Master Modeler

Right. I get it. No sport range at NARAM-64, wherever/whenever it turns out to be (I suppose we'll hear on Friday).

That does not say it can't happen in the future....or are you equating "sport range" with "waiver required"? I can happily sport fly all day for several days and never fly a rocket that requires a waiver, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

It also sounds like I need to make plans to go to Alamosa next year, as long as, schedule-wise, it's not too much since I'm already planning to go help at the TARC final again and I've been asked to help at the World Championship in July in Texas. But even if I do go to Alamosa and fly at that amazing site again, I need not fly anything that requires a waiver (though they will certainly have a pretty generous one).

One of the things I don't see in this discussion of dual "NSLs" is whether or not they will be at the same time or if they will be held on Memorial Day weekend as is customary in either or both places.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-17-2022, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Right. I get it. No sport range at NARAM-64, wherever/whenever it turns out to be (I suppose we'll hear on Friday).

Hopefully, someone will "ask the hard questions" of the BoT, so we can get definitive answers.

Dave F.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:13 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

That does not say it can't happen in the future....or are you equating "sport range" with "waiver required"? I can happily sport fly all day for several days and never fly a rocket that requires a waiver, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

It also sounds like I need to make plans to go to Alamosa next year, as long as, schedule-wise, it's not too much since I'm already planning to go help at the TARC final again and I've been asked to help at the World Championship in July in Texas. But even if I do go to Alamosa and fly at that amazing site again, I need not fly anything that requires a waiver (though they will certainly have a pretty generous one).

One of the things I don't see in this discussion of dual "NSLs" is whether or not they will be at the same time or if they will be held on Memorial Day weekend as is customary in either or both places.

NARAM-64 is likely Muncie (Gee, they had a Sport Range a few years ago for NARAM).

Did the NAR Section hosting NARAM-64 say they didn't want a sport range or was that decision not made by them?

It's much harder to run a competition range than a sport range.

The field is great at Alamosa, it's the weather that's the problem. We were blown out the last day by a very severe thunderstorm last year at NSL 2021. Alamosa had an open sport launch again this year during the Memorial Day weekend and it was blown out due to weather after Saturday morning. Might want to try another location.

I believe the plan is to have the 'East' NSL over Labor Day weekend but don't quote me.

Having a sport range at NARAM has been a given for thirty years.