Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2022, 04:01 PM
Master Modeler

Steve (and Wolf),

OK - I just tried all the mandrels I have on my first-generation Harrison jig. Of course the three that he supplied to me (10.5, 13, 18mm) all fit easily.

Of my Rose mandrels, the 10.5, 13, 24 and 29mm ones also fit pretty easily. The 18mm mandrel from the Rose jig is snug.

The 38 and 54mm mandrels (which I have never tried to use) have larger diameter bores, but they are too small to fit over the 10.5mm mandrels. I don't know what they go to, but apparently it's something other than the Rose jig I got from Geoffrey Kerbal's estate. I vaguely remember there being a version for larger rockets. That must be what these were for...and the fellow that was sorting all this out and selling off Geoff's stuff must have put them in the wrong bag or something.

I like the redesigned platen adjustment of the new Harrison jig such that I'm really tempted...but I would want to be able to use the 24 and 29mm mandrels I have in hand with it rather than asking Dan to sell me new ones at, I would expect, well over $100 for the both of them.

If I was able to do that, then my existing Harrison clone Rose jig would be available for sale.

Added: Wolf — the bare shaft for the mandrels is actually the right size to use for MicroMaxx models. Here's a Mosquito with an MMX mount in it on my Harrison/Rose jig. I would want to continue to be able to do this with a new one as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_5848.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  1.55 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 08-17-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:57 PM
7/21/61

Just to let everyone know, I just received the final batch of these Harrison Fin Jigs. I still have a few unspoken for. If you are interested, PM me. At this time there is no plan for a new batch after these.

Steve
Old 10-12-2022, 03:14 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Somebody that owns one of these ought to create a video how-to on how to use it with FAI models, perhaps at the next NARCON. I have what I guess is the original 2 page text instructions (that came with the Art Rose version?), and I found them difficult to follow. Sometimes picture(s) or video is worth a 1000 words.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:08 PM
Master Modeler

I just got one of these. They are quite nice. It took a bout 5 minutes to figure out how it works. My only complaint (and it's a minor one as I knew exactly what I was getting) is that I wish it came with more mandrels. For $500 it should have a 24mm one. I managed to figure out a quick work around though so no worries. Can't wait to try it out-probably later tonight.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:16 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I just got one of these. They are quite nice. It took a bout 5 minutes to figure out how it works. My only complaint (and it's a minor one as I knew exactly what I was getting) is that I wish it came with more mandrels. For $500 it should have a 24mm one. I managed to figure out a quick work around though so no worries. Can't wait to try it out-probably later tonight.

When I have used other jigs, that had a fixed 13mm mandrel, I have simply used a piece of 13mm tubing with three 13mm-18mm centering rings to act as an adapter. And for 24mm, the same kind of thing.

Thanks to Gus, I got an offer I could not refuse, for a slightly earlier version of the Harrison Fin Jig, at significantly less than $500.

So, yes, 35 years or more after I probably should have gotten one from Art Rose, I finally do have one.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 10-27-2022, 11:17 PM
Master Modeler

I have one of the new ones on the way from Steve (Gus). Once it gets here and I confirm it works with my 24 and 29mm mandrels and the swivel base from the original Rose jig (silver parts in the picture in post 11 above) as I expect them to, my first generation Harrison-made jig will likely be available as well. USPS says the new one will be here Saturday.

I agree with Terry that the original instructions aren't the most clear. I'm not sure about volunteering to do a video, though. Whether FAI models or not, the process to use one is the same. I'll think about that a bit.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-28-2022, 02:15 PM
Master Modeler

Yes George, that was my assessment as well (the workaround I spoke of). Now I have the ability to use it with all tubes up to BT-60. May make more if needed.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:38 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Just going by pictures, I don't see much difference in them.
____
Old 10-29-2022, 09:14 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
____

Well one of them is blue.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 10-29-2022, 01:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
____

The first batch of jigs that Dan Harrison made (in 2019) are faithful reproductions of the Art Rose-made jigs, but as Wolf noted, they are anodized blue. The design/operation is the same and at least some parts are interchangeable between the ones made by Rose and the ones made by Harrison.

The ones that Steve has now have a significantly redesigned mechanism for the support and positioning of the plate that supports and locates a fin, making it stiffer, even when it is not secured in place with the screw that keeps it from moving when you're actually using it. This also makes the adjustment of the position a little less by guess and eyeball as there is much less play between the motion of the fin platen and the rotation of the 6-32 screw that moves it.

There are some other detail differences as well in this newest iteration.

I received mine yesterday and spent some time comparing them in detail as well as verifying that mandrels really are interchangeable across all three versions, so I can use the 24 and 29mm mandrels I acquired with the Rose-made jig I got from Geoffrey Kerbal's estate on this new one.

Since there in no reason for me to have three of these wonderful tools, I'll be making one of the older ones available shortly.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE