Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2023, 08:23 AM
Craftsman

Default Estes EDU Large Parts Assortment??

Hi,
Over on the EDU side of the Estes site you can find this parts assortment for sale:

Estes EDU large parts assortment

Having found some very interesting parts in the TARC Parts assortments a few years back, I wanted to know what was in this one - but there is no parts listing at all. From the picture, I thought maybe the BTs and 2 nosecone are BT-80? The description says you can build and egg launcher, but I see no adapter to form the aft end - unless you are supposed to build a bulkhead from a connector? And they do not mention TARC.

So I wrote to Estes, asking for the parts to be listed somewhere and I got this in reply:

Can anyone make sense of this?

Is this a combination of BT-60 and BT-70? In particular, what is a PNC60/70 Titan nose cone? For use with 2 differently sized body tubes? And where is the other nose cone? Does this list look more like the old unavailable TARC large parts collection, and less like the current parts collection picture from the Estes web site?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:01 AM
Sometimes collector

It looks like the nosecone and transition from the Titan IIIE kit, which is bt-60 to bt-70. See a snip from the instructions below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2F4BB887-FB91-4DE3-A1EE-0371B06DDC39.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  64.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  F682A973-F97E-4B96-A2F6-8A234026ED9A.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  120.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1C0A4B5C-4690-4BA2-B855-D5487E1A5425.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  130.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CBBE9A42-7CF6-45DE-8F9D-EA39333E422A.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  199.1 KB  
Old 01-28-2023, 09:16 AM
Lost his Drifter

The photo shows a PNC-80K and PNC-80B nose cones. Neither are on your list. I don't see any "60/70" transitions, unless there are templates for rolling one out of cardstock. The photo also shows 3 motor mount tubes of some kind, but your parts list doesn't list 3 of any kind.

My conclusion is the list does not correspond to the photo. I'll speculate that the list is out-dated because there are out-dated parts on there. Some of those parts came with the no longer available Small Parts Assortment (that included the old Enerjet egg cone). The photo is believable.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-30-2023, 10:51 AM
Craftsman

Thanks.

Last edited by Tramper Al : 01-30-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:12 PM
Lost his Drifter

Those parts assortments seemed to me more like "spare parts elimination vehicles" to sell a box of leftover parts. They may be TARC-like or TARC-ish, but I would not advise using any of the parts in the old Small Parts Assortments to build a TARC rocket. I just wanted the egg capsule. The new Large Parts Assortment is better.

Too bad Estes apparently doesn't pay too close attention to what they stick in a box and ship out to educators. Don't knock yourself out trying to "set the record straight" with them.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-30-2023, 12:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

would be more appealing to me if the picture was accurate.
either way, $73 is too much.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:52 PM
I do not like Facebook

I had the foresight to purchase several of the large TARC parts kits when they were first available. I was going to buy more later but held off until TARC season ended so as not to deprive a participating team. When I remembered again, they were out of stock.

Still, I have enough of the parts to try cloning a Titan, but I need to work up to it by developing a foolproof parallel staging design using common parts. Now that 3-D printing is so common, my original concept needs to be rethought.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...