Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2023, 04:22 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Pretty certain looking at the relative sizes of tubes (especially compared to the ST-7 pod tubes) that it is (from the top) ST-10 to ST-13. Also, Centuri did not have a comparable nose cone (if it was the ST-13 tube at the very top) like the profile of that nose cone on the model. The nose cone shown is a dead ringer for the PNC-103 nose cone used in the Payloader II kit, and others.

Now, down at the very bottom for the core motor tube at the center of the pods, it could maybe be something like at ST-8 body tube (with motor mount) at the very core...I'd have to 'hand cluster' some tubes together in my hand and see what configuration works at the core of those ST-7 pod tubes. But, not sure the core tube could be much larger than at ST-8 and allow that many ST-7 pod tubes to cluster so tightly together. An ST-13 at the bottom (if it were an ST-20 in the middle as you are suggesting), I think, would be fairly well too big.

Earl

Thanks! I appreciate that you've given this some thought.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:35 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I did a fair amount of Centuri cloning back when Semroc first opened around 2004 and would concur with all of Earl's observations of parts/sizes.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-20-2023, 05:56 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I'm not too familiar with the Centuri stuff but from what it looks like to me, the pods go around the body tube, touching each other. The fins are glued to the tube joints. Am I just stating something that everyone else just assumed?
Old 02-20-2023, 06:15 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
I'm not too familiar with the Centuri stuff but from what it looks like to me, the pods go around the body tube, touching each other. The fins are glued to the tube joints. Am I just stating something that everyone else just assumed?

Over the years I have been up in the air on that point. At times I have thought just as you have stated; at other times I’ve thought “Well, maybe the fins ARE glued directly to the core motor tube”. Without just ‘hand modeling’ some tubes together (and some representative balsa fin stock) to see what could fit and what doesn’t, it is hard to truly tell.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-21-2023, 08:59 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Over the years I have been up in the air on that point. At times I have thought just as you have stated; at other times I’ve thought “Well, maybe the fins ARE glued directly to the core motor tube”. Without just ‘hand modeling’ some tubes together (and some representative balsa fin stock) to see what could fit and what doesn’t, it is hard to truly tell.

Earl

I was just looking around for a sort of body tube / cluster tube calculator, and I did come across the contention (with geometric proofs) that exactly 6 circles fit around 1 circle of the same size - leaving no space for fins to fit pass and attach directly to the main tube.

Place 2 pods tight against the core tube (and each other) and you form an equilateral triangle between the 3 centers; sides = 2 * radius, all angles 60 degrees. Then it is a matter of 60 fitting 6 times around 360. I think that means fins attach to pod joints in the 6 fin/pod model.

Based on the picture, what is the consensus then as to how many fins (and pods) there are? Five or six?
Old 02-21-2023, 10:21 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

6 fins.
I'd do only 3 though.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-21-2023, 04:09 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramper Al
I was just looking around for a sort of body tube / cluster tube calculator, and I did come across the contention (with geometric proofs) that exactly 6 circles fit around 1 circle of the same size - leaving no space for fins to fit pass and attach directly to the main tube.

Place 2 pods tight against the core tube (and each other) and you form an equilateral triangle between the 3 centers; sides = 2 * radius, all angles 60 degrees. Then it is a matter of 60 fitting 6 times around 360. I think that means fins attach to pod joints in the 6 fin/pod model.

Based on the picture, what is the consensus then as to how many fins (and pods) there are? Five or six?

All true assuming that the core tube is the same diameter as the surrounding tubes. Of course, if the core tube is larger, then there might be room for fins to pass between the surrounding tubes and be attached to the core tube. In any case, my gut feeling is that there are six tubes and six fins surrounding the core.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramper Al

As GH and Mojo have stated, it probably is six. That would assume the core tube is the same diameter as the pod tubes, and as Mojo has observed, if the core motor tube is larger than the pod tubes (like the ST-8 as I mentioned above as a possibility for the core tube), then there could be enough room for direct attachment of the fins to the core motor tube. It is just too hard to truly determine which it is from the fidelity of the catalog photo.

It would be interesting to know how many Centuri customers attempted to figure out this decal model and just what all part went into making it. One could assume Centuri received more than one letter over the years asking just what parts made up that rocket! All these years later, it is still fun to try to figure it all out!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-22-2023, 09:25 AM
Master Modeler

I think we should officially name this model the D.E.V.

Decal Elimination Vehicle
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM