Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2023, 03:30 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Just a heads up to get any Estes orders in at discount prices before April 1st

I shouldn't say anything other than if you get Estes products from an online store at deep discounts than I suggest you get your order in before April 1st. Things are fixin' to change soon.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:10 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, I guess it don't take too many guesses to figure out what that means......

The only question would be just how much of a discount from some of those sources will we be able to get going forward?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-30-2023, 05:08 PM
Craftsman

Assume this means they are going to some kind of MAP program?

Online only, or for all channels? Hobby Lobby would kick them to the curb.

I can see this being massively beneficial for all of Estes' competitors (mostly little guys) in the long run. The main reason to buy Estes kits is they can be had so cheeeeep. At anything close to MSRP, they are kind of a joke.

Don't know what it would do to new entries in the hobby, but it sure won't help.

The only Estes kit on my buy list at this point is the Doorknob and that's been mostly OOS for many months. I can live without it. Years worth of other stuff in the build pile/list.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:31 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Think official Estes website prices everywhere online. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for all dealers to comply.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:10 PM
Craftsman

Well, crap. That got expensive quickly.

On the good side, I should be self-sufficient for rocket supplies for awhile now.

(Because I wasn't already... oh, wait. Well, longer than I would have been. So there.)
Old 03-30-2023, 08:33 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

The only Estes kit i've been waiting on (now that I do have a Doorknob) is the Black Brant listed in the catalog but simingly not available ANYWHERE! But the BOSS was the same way....
Old 03-30-2023, 09:38 PM
Craftsman

Lots showing in stock, both versions readily available.

Unless you mean the Black Brant XII. That's not going to be out until much later in the year. Apparently, it was discussed at NARCON as a September release.

Last edited by SolarYellow : 03-30-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:17 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS Hobbies
Think official Estes website prices everywhere online. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for all dealers to comply.
Does this mean product cannot be sold for less than MSRP or only that websites may not post discount prices online?
Old 03-30-2023, 11:38 PM
Model Rocket Fanatic

For those of you who don't do the rocketry groups on FB, here is what Randy Boadway posted: "Hello everyone, I wanted to let the rocketry community know that Estes is making a change to their pricing strategy. Effective 4/1/23 retailers are no longer allowed to advertise Estes Rockets for less than they do on the Estes web page.
eRockets will be complying with this new policy effective on 4/1, I am quite sure most retailers will be complying with the new policy very soon. So, if you want a current Estes product at a reduced price now is the time to get it."
Old 03-30-2023, 11:45 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Does this mean product cannot be sold for less than MSRP or only that websites may not post discount prices online?

Retailers in the US may sell product at any price they choose. However, manufacturers can take certain limited actions if retailers advertise pricing below a certain level. At my previous gig we used co-op advertising support as a tool to influence reseller pricing behavior. Go below a certain price, and your advertising support from us would vanish, overnight.

There's a fine line between an aggressive MAP policy and potential anticompetitive behavior, but recent government actions have always come down on the side of manufacturers.

I suspect that this change in Estes policy has a GREAT deal to do with AC Supply and their deep discounting. Other retailers have likely been very vocal in their discussions with Estes about their displeasure with ACS and their pricing policy, and Estes probably wants to reverse the race to the bottom.

James