Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Craig,

Many years ago (I shudder to think how many) I used your technique for finishing my fins with mixed results. I started by simply putting a thin coat of white glue on the fin and then laying on the paper which I had previously cut to shape. I quickly learned to cut it a bit smaller than the balsa fin after having to sand the curve into the leading and trailing edges (a LOT more difficult with the paper and glue there) on the first set I fins I produced this way. Fins made this way often warped slightly, especially when the fins were thin. So I then went to peel and stick paper (Estes PRM-1), also with mixed results. Although this solved the warpage problem, I sometimes got a bit of delamination at the fin edges and 'bubbling' on the fin surfaces. So I was never totally happy with the result, and never perfected the technique further to overcome these problems. Still, I continued to use the method for a while for two reasons..............the balsa grain was completely filled with little effort, and the fins were VERY strong.

Joe
Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

fin grain needs to be filled, lol ...

when starting out, of course.. I never sealed balsa, then started to use Aerogloss, usually 1-2 coats to seal the wood, but never filled all the grain - hence my vintage builds looking not as perfect.

when I got into HPR, when spending lots more time ( and DOLLARS ), figured they should look nice ( plus plywood seals easier, lol ) , so started making them real clean ( huge influence here by one of my mentors, thnks RON

now into my nostalgioa phase ( I'm NOT a BAR, never left, just been through different phases ) - I strive to make every one more perfect than the last - meaning perfect sealed fins, sanded fillets... never used to fill spirals, but have to admit, my last 3-4 builds / painted projects got filled spiral grooves - including the CHallenger 2 ( originally a 'no painting required' bird

but, if you prefer raw grain and ' going to loose it anyways' flights - been there, done that ( but send me your unused decal sheets from your naked birds, might have use of those

just my 27 1/2 cents ( inflated for modern composite motor costs )

~ AL
Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Craftsman

Nowadays I like to fill the grain ( in the eary days I didn't care).
but I never understood using a "sealer" to fill the grain, thats alot of work !

If a person just likes the wood sealed than that sounds likes the way to go.
using a filler like f-n-f gets it done in one application, thats why I like it, lees work , great results. even easier for me is paper laminating, I do that alot now, easy and strong.

I need to conserve what braincells I have left anyway ..

no one way is right or wrong just each person's preference
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I often paper fins using standard copier paper and a very very thin layer of yellow glue. I haven't tried it on very thin balsa yet, but on the thicker stuff I've not seen any warping.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Craig,

Many years ago (I shudder to think how many) I used your technique for finishing my fins with mixed results. I started by simply putting a thin coat of white glue on the fin and then laying on the paper which I had previously cut to shape.

Water-based glues will do that; especially on thin balsa, like 1/16" sheet. I'm also into RC aircraft, and tried laminating a thin balsa skin to a foam core with white glue. It was a disaster, until I found a better method.

Apply the glue in a thin layer to both the balsa and the paper. Allow to dry completely. Lay the paper onto the balsa, then take a Monokote iron and heat-press the paper onto the balsa. The heat passes through the paper to the glue, melts the glue slightly, then creates an impossible-to-peel lamination as the glue polymerizes. By allowing the glue to cure completely, you don't trap the moisture in the wood, which causes the warping problem.

Quote:
...I quickly learned to cut it a bit smaller than the balsa fin after having to sand the curve into the leading and trailing edges

I don't bother doing this anymore. What I do is cut the label sheet to the same outline, press it down, then apply the thin CA to the edges. The CA wicks down into the balsa and sets up rock-hard. Now is when I take the 220-grit to the edges and round them just enough to remove the roughness of the CA.

Sometimes I don't pre-cut the label. I just take the pre-cut balsa fin, lay it out on a piece of label stock, then trim away the excess. The sanding takes care of any remainder.

Quote:
...So I then went to peel and stick paper (Estes PRM-1), also with mixed results. Although this solved the warpage problem, I sometimes got a bit of delamination at the fin edges and 'bubbling' on the fin surfaces.

One thing to keep in mind is the improvements made in adhesives over the past 35-40 years. The current variety of label stock is far superior to whatever was available in the late '60s and early '70s. Go grab some label stock and try the technique again. If you don't seal the edges, however, the label will peel. Sealing the edges with thin CA does double-duty -- it attaches the label edges down firmly, and hardens the edge of the balsa.

Quote:
Still, I continued to use the method for a while for two reasons..............the balsa grain was completely filled with little effort, and the fins were VERY strong.

Joe

It's a laminate, or composite, structure; very much like 1/16" thick balsa plywood (or MDF board). It's going to be stronger than the balsa by itself, no matter how it's filled.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 09-28-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I've been using CA to seal fin edges for a while now, and I have to say that it works great!
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 09-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

OK, guys. Time to give the old paper laminating method a try again. You've got me convinced! Especially because I agree that the adhesives used on paper label stock is much better than it used to be. By the way, the dry glue/iron-on method is ingenious if it works well............can't wait to try that! One question though.............what is this 'CA' stuff that you guys use?

Joe
Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
One question though.............what is this 'CA' stuff that you guys use?

Joe

Cyanoacrylate better known as Crazy Glue. Any hobby shop will carry the stuff.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-28-2007, 10:52 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
OK, guys. Time to give the old paper laminating method a try again. You've got me convinced! Especially because I agree that the adhesives used on paper label stock is much better than it used to be. By the way, the dry glue/iron-on method is ingenious if it works well............can't wait to try that! One question though.............what is this 'CA' stuff that you guys use?

Joe

Watery-thin Super Glue. Comes in a Teflon bottle, always hardens in the cap before it hardens where you want it to, smokes when you drop it onto balsa sawdust, turns into a hard foam if you hit it with accelerator...

Frustratingly useful stuff...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

CA..............cool, thanks, guys. I've used it many times, just not for rocketry.

Joe