Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2023, 03:17 PM
Master Modeler

I am very sorry t hear this George. Stay positive. That has worked for me. I am currently undergoing treatment for stage 4 lung cancer that is on top of a case of small cell lymphoma. The immunotherapy treatments seem to be working great, so maybe you can ask your oncologist if this might work for you.

Also, take a look at https://mycancerstory.rocks/. Maybe this can help. I am keeping this in my back pocket incase the immunotherapy starts failing.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:39 PM
Apollo Nut

And remember the GoFundMe link George mentioned in his initial email. A virtual who's who of rocketry donors on the list already.

Link:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Ltvscout : 05-11-2023 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Fixed the URL
Old 05-11-2023, 03:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
I am very sorry t hear this George. Stay positive. That has worked for me. I am currently undergoing treatment for stage 4 lung cancer that is on top of a case of small cell lymphoma. The immunotherapy treatments seem to be working great, so maybe you can ask your oncologist if this might work for you.

Also, take a look at https://mycancerstory.rocks/. Maybe this can help. I am keeping this in my back pocket incase the immunotherapy starts failing.

So sorry to hear of your challenges too, Joe. Wow. You'll be another on my prayer list. May the Lord's presence and Spirit be over and envelope you and yours.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-11-2023, 04:33 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Hang in there George - I doubt you remember me but we briefly met at NARAM a few years back.
You've contributed greatly to this sport over the years and whatever happens, you'll leave a huge legacy.
Don't sell the combination of modern medicine and prayer short.
25 years ago - at the ripe old age of 42 - I had a heart attack, the one commonly known as "The Widowmaker". But not only did it not make my wife a widow, modern medicine returned me to a normal life in less than a week.
Miracles do happen
Old 05-11-2023, 08:17 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Thanks for your words and advice, everyone. I am certainly hoping that faith and prayers can do wonders. While also needing to keep in mind how things may end up the other way and plan accordingly.

I've talked with Pterodactyl, and my 1988 Sunguidance model will someday be in the Model Rocketry Museum at the Seattle Museum of Flight. My 1999 NARAM contest Space Shuttle will join it, presuming it is not damaged when I fly it for the US Team in S7 at the FAI World Space Modeling Championships in Austin, TX in early July.

My 1/16 Lunar Module Quadcopter will be offered to AMA's Model Aircraft Museum. If they do not agree to display it, I may auction it.

My WEBSITE will be donated to the NAR and remain up after I'm gone.

Some of you with websites may want to consider doing the same, because, you never know, then it's too late (Reach out to Todd Schweim).

Various things, built models, supplies, etc,. will be offered to the local MASA section. Other stuff.... not sure yet.

I will be moving by Mid-July to an assisted living facility, more on that much later.

I hope to go to NARAM, and will select out various models to fly there.

Kits, I'll move with me and sell after settling in. If a trailer is used for the WSMC trip, I'll bring kits and built models (like R/C Rocket Gliders) to the WSMC in Austin, to sell.

I will say I'm still able to "get around". Just it takes a longer time to "warm the engine up", between waking up for an appointment and being ready to go out the door to get to my car.

I had a medical procedure this morning (Thursday), and afterwards did some grocery shopping.

Also, Chemo sessions on Mondays.

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:

Last edited by georgegassaway : 05-12-2023 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:59 AM
BP Mafia

Sorry to hear this, George. I have no idea what to say in situations like this, but I wish the best for you.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-12-2023, 11:47 AM
Lost his Drifter

George I too am sorry to hear of this. You seem to be handling this with stoicism ad courage. I'd say that is pretty admirable way to face one's mortality, as we all one day must.

See you in Texas.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 05-12-2023, 04:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
So sorry to hear of your challenges too, Joe. Wow. You'll be another on my prayer list. May the Lord's presence and Spirit be over and envelope you and yours.

Earl

Thank You!
Old 05-12-2023, 04:42 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Hi, George. I have never had the pleasure of meeting you in person, but have "known" you for many years through your online presence.

I have probably said it before, but it won't hurt to say it again:

Thanks for your contributions to our hobby through your technical innovations and for mentoring and inspiring others.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:22 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

So, to go back to how I found out, and get several things up to date. .

By January, I realized I was not eating as much, but had been over-eating for awhile (holiday meals) so did not think much of it.

Early February, I could tell I had swelling in my lower abdomen. I had two hernia operations years before, installing a “net” each time, and those nets were helping keep things tight. I made a doctor’s appointment, and saw him March 2nd.

He quickly made an appointment for a CT scan. Once he got the result, he called me and told me I had pancreatic cancer. He tried to get stuff to happen quick, but there were too many examples of an appointment one week, then another appointment a week later, and so on. Not enough urgency (not his fault). I took control to push for “early” appointments, rather to sit back and wait for them to be assigned "whenever".

Anyway, after a biopsy, I finally saw an oncologist and they gave me the news. Cancer spread to the liver, and into the bloodstream. Too late for surgery to do any good. So, the only treatment option is Chemo. The oncologist showed me a sketch of a Bell Curve, showing 1 year at the peak.

My "Time Thrust Curve"

I should say I got that diagnosis over a month ago.

I got a Chemo Port installed, located in my upper right chest.

It goes under the skin. See article:
https://moffitt.org/treatments/chem...s-a-chemo-port/

So, rarely any more use of my arm veins for blood draws or IV’s. Far more convenient. Might seem a bit offputting, but I prefer it, for sure.

Finally, Chemo day. Except…. I had some kidney infection issues, causing chemo to be called off, and a hospital stay for awhile.

Finally, Chemo day. And…. it finally happened. Two chemicals. I ended up having a very low Hemoglobin by the time I went back a week later. And I had certainly felt very weak. One of the chemos had too much of an effect on my bone marrow. So, cancelled chemo again, and a 4 day hospital stay where I got 3 pints of blood.

Next Monday, did not have that chemical, had only the other one. Felt OK, but when I went back for Chemo this past Monday, my platelet count was too low, so they cancelled Chemo again, to next Monday.

I’ve been told adjustments to Chemo were expected. But I know this is not good. So my life expectancy will likely be reduced by this. As far as revising my likely life expectancy evaluation, they said we’d look at that a few more weeks down the road.

So, that gets the basic cancer & Chemo info/news up to date.

I mentioned swelling of my abdomen. The liver cancer causes fluid, called Ascites, to accumulate in the abdomen. Info:

https://liverfoundation.org/liver-d...7RoCbmgQAvD_BwE

At times my belly looked like I’m pregnant, and still is swollen. Very uncomfortable at its max. There is one form of relief, to physically drain out the fluid. For awhile they only drained it every 2 weeks or longer. Finally have that regularly scheduled once a week. It’s an outpatient procedure, and I am awake the whole time (injected local anesthetic), so I can drive home later.

I think the max removed might have been over 8 liters. Last week, 7.4 liters. Thursday, 5.0 liters. So, far less discomfort now that it is drained regularly, with less build-up.

My apartment is NOT ADA compliant. But I can handle most of the stairs OK thanks to handrails. BUT, outside the main door, there are two steps higher than usual, and NO HANDRAILS! Before being weakened by cancer, it was not something I realized as a risk. A Physical Therapist worked with me to work out an improvement on how to try to navigate them safer. She suggested a cane. But a normal cane did not seem suitable. Then “Light Bulb”. A 4-legged cane (below left). Makes a huge difference, much safer using it.

I also got a “Rollator” (above right). So I can use it to help walk longer distances. It has a storage bin. Also, the brakes can be locked, and the top of the storage bin works as a seat. I keep it in my car, and get it out to walk to places such as hospital appointments, and will use it for launches and other non-shopping purposes (Used it to get into the theater , & get into my theater seat, to see Guardians of the Galaxy last week).

For shopping, I use a store’s own shopping carts. Also use electric scooters in stores that have them and one is available.

Georges'CancerGoFundMe: