Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2005, 12:56 PM
BAR Crazy about der GOBLIN

Send a message via AIM to Thor
Question Goblin 2X Clone

Just back into rockets again. Flew them first during the time frame 1965-1970. My daugther completed a BIG BETTY Quest rocket and that was all it took to get us all hooked, my wife, me and my girls, on rockets again. Building a 2X upscale of the Estes Goblin and have just about decided that a D engine will make my first upscale a lawn dart. I am probably looking at an 8 ounce rocket and that makes me think that an E would even be limited in use in this one. What do you guys think? I am only familar up to the smaller (The Goblin 1X and Cherokee-D) D engine rockets so I am a bit behind the learning curve. I have also ordered the proper shape Nose cone from BMS to complete this one.

I am also doing a 2X upscale on the Estes Boost Glider NIGHTHAWK. Problems I see here is finding a proper lead ribbon for nose weight of the glider and the aluminum sheets for canyard movements.

One other thing I would like to know if possible. Where locally can I find Elmer's FILL 'N FINISH priming paste? This seems to be the product of choice for a lot of people for balsa fin and tube spiral filling.

Thanks! Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:37 PM
BP Mafia

Are you sure about the weight on the Goblin? 8 oz. sounds like an awful lot of weight for a 2x upscale, unless you're building it like a tank.
As for the Fill & Finish, I've always found mine at Lowes, conveniently in the same aisle where they sell glue. I believe it goes by a different name now, but if you do a search for Fill & Finish, I'm pretty sure we just had this discussion a couple of days back.
The Nighthawk glider sounds like an ambitious project. I have nothing at all to contribute to that discussion except to say good luck and post pictures as you go.
Welcome back to the hobby.

Rocketry Forum thread on Fill & Finish:
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...ght=fill+finish

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 06-20-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM

I am probably guilty of just what you described. Using 3/16 thick hobby plywood for the fins and a stuffer tube like der V-3 (another Estes rocket with a similar body tube) I am already up to 7ounces WITHOUT the 9-10" Balsa nose cone. YIKES! Bill, I enjoyed your review of the original Goblin size clone in the EMRR's OOP: Goblin reviews. I probably will build one of these too! I kind of like the yellow black scheme like the original but also like the halloween orange black scheme. I found a picture in an old estes catalog that is kind of a yellow/orange color and finally found a spray paint like this one and will paint mine this color complete with Tango Papa 2X decals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  73est26.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  151.3 KB  

Last edited by Thor : 06-20-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:58 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
I am probably guilty of just what you described. Using 3/32 thick hobby plywood for the fins and a stuffer tube like der V-3 (another Estes rocket with a similar body tube) I am already up to 7ounces WITHOUT the 9-10" Balsa nose cone. YIKES! Bill, I enjoyed your review of the original Goblin size clone in the EMRR's OOP: Goblin reviews. I probably will build one of these too! I kind of like the yellow black scheme like the original but also like the halloween orange black scheme. I found a picture in an old estes catalog that is kind of a yellow/orage color and finally found a spray paint like this one and will paint mine this color complete with Tango Papa 2X decals.

Yeah, it sounds like you're getting into Aerotech territory. The closest thing I have to that is a Centuri Magnum Hornet that I made using an LOC Lil Nuke as a donor kit. That will fly on an F20-7 when the time comes. One of the RocSim gurus on here should be able to point you toward which engine would best suit your Goblin.
I forgot all about the Goblin review. My Goblin has lived a hard life. I'm really close to taking the nose cone and starting over. This is a picture from its latest flight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  The Goblin finds a temporary home.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  179.9 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 PM
BP Mafia

Make that "I've taken the nose cone and started over". The body was pretty well destroyed due to hard landings and the cone had teeth marks in it from where a dog "helped" me recover it. It's covered with Fill & Finish as I type.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-20-2005, 05:13 PM

Hey, thanks much for the assist, went to Lowes today and picked up the FNF. Should have contacted you guys earilier. How long is the streamer on your Goblin? Do you favor that over a 12" chute, I hate breaking fins but I hate loosing the rockets worse. I notice the original plans warn about getting the balance point no closer than 3 & 5/8" from the rear on the 1X model. Have you had any problems with stability on your Goblin? It is been way too many years since I flew the scale model to remember. Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:37 PM
BP Mafia

Being that yours is an upscale, I wouldn't suggest a streamer. Maybe a reefed chute. That's what I'll be going with when my 1:1 is flying again.
As for stability, I never had a problem and neither did my Goblin.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-20-2005, 08:55 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Just back into rockets again... Building a 2X upscale of the Estes Goblin and have just about decided that a D engine will make my first upscale a lawn dart. I am probably looking at an 8 ounce rocket and that makes me think that an E would even be limited in use in this one. What do you guys think? I am only familar up to the smaller (The Goblin 1X and Cherokee-D) D engine rockets so I am a bit behind the learning curve. I have also ordered the proper shape Nose cone from BMS to complete this one.

The Goblin just begs for doing an up-size, doesn't it?

See the attached RockSim file...

Go download a demo of RockSim 8 from Apogee.com and play with it for a while. When you get comfortable with it, which doesn't take long, buy the full version (which lets you save your work). Use the component database to try out different materials.

FWIW, that 2X Goblin can be done with TTW balsa fins and still be plenty strong enough without having to resort to plywood. Just do a careful, light-as-possible glassing of the fins, and apply some 1/4" strips of Carbon Fiber underneath the glass at the leading and trailing edges. A low-end F (composite) would fly it nicely.

The nose cone can probably be done by Carl at SEMROC, or by BMS...

Quote:
One other thing I would like to know if possible. Where locally can I find Elmer's FILL 'N FINISH priming paste? This seems to be the product of choice for a lot of people for balsa fin and tube spiral filling.

Lowes, Wal Mart, Home Depot...

Look in the paint sections...

The trick to using this stuff is to thin it down a bit with water before brushing it on. This helps get the compound deeper into the grain. You may have to apply a second layer, but these typically get sanded off before priming.

Craig McGraw
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  2D Goblin 2x.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  33.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  3D Goblin 2x.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  55.3 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2x Goblin.zip (6.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 06-20-2005, 10:15 PM

Or we could go totally crazy with this one? over 7' tall! GOLLY MOLLY!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:23 PM
BP Mafia

HEY! It's not crazy unless you plan to ride in it.

I miss being SAM 0058