Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I have a Hobbico from Tower Hobbies.

OK one more thing on my must buy list. I just got a 10 off on 50 or more order from Tower so I'll have to find some way to spend the other 44 bucks. I'm sure I can find a couple of other things I need there.

How long do the blades last? I'm wondering if it would just make sense to order an extra set right from the get go.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

I've only used it a couple of times. I keep forgetting I have it.

What I have found extremely useful is the small vise I got in the same order this spring. My son and I use it so much that I think I'm going to have to get a second one because he's always using it.

Link to vise

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I've only used it a couple of times. I keep forgetting I have it.

What I have found extremely useful is the small vise I got in the same order this spring. My son and I use it so much that I think I'm going to have to get a second one because he's always using it.

Doh - just added that to my wish list also! I better not ask any more questions.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I have a Hobbico from Tower Hobbies. Link to Tower Page.

Yep, that's the one! Although, mine is red and I bought it from a LHS. I've had mine about a year now, made a few dozen ring, and haven't changed the blade yet. I'm surprised at how long the blade has lasted. I think the key is not to force down on the blade too hard, but to make several light passes around. I'm not using matte board, but rather using the thin corrugated priority mail boxes(hey, their free ). They seem to be doing the trick very nicely.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
A "kit" like you mention is nice, along with some removable nose weights and simple instructions on how and when to add them. They could be added to the capsule and held with the screw eye.

The washers that I mentioned were in reference to the removable weights, installed just like you described.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Craftsman

Question

After about 35 years "retired" from model rocketry, I received a 1B kit for my 51st birthday. (Does this make me a BAR?) I have not started it for several reasons, the most important being that I have not decided if I go one engine or four. If I go one 24 mm engine, I know that the Estes D13-3 is recommended as is the D15-4 reloadable. I have seen mention of E15-4, E28T, and F24-4 on this thread.

My question is (I guess) are all the engines reloads except the D13-3 and are the higher power engines (E&F) reloads which fit the same engine as the D15-4? (Do they all work in the same engine holder?) And a follow up question is what would you recommend if I may not have access to a "higher power" launch system capable of reliable ignition of a cluster system.

Thanks,

Curtis
Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Craftsman

Congratulations, you are a BAR!

The Aerotech E15 is a single use engine, the closest reload to it is an E18. The D15, E28 and F24 are reloads in the 24mm casing. My personal favorite in the 24mm reloads is the F12( nice long burn).

All of the Aerotech 24mm engines, both single use and reload, use Copperhead igniters, which work best with a 12V launch system, as do clusters, so you best off either build a 12V launch or buying one, the cheapo Estes controller won't cut it.

Hope this helps some,

Matt
Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
After about 35 years "retired" from model rocketry, I received a 1B kit for my 51st birthday. (Does this make me a BAR?) I have not started it for several reasons, the most important being that I have not decided if I go one engine or four. If I go one 24 mm engine, I know that the Estes D13-3 is recommended as is the D15-4 reloadable. I have seen mention of E15-4, E28T, and F24-4 on this thread.

My question is (I guess) are all the engines reloads except the D13-3 and are the higher power engines (E&F) reloads which fit the same engine as the D15-4? (Do they all work in the same engine holder?) And a follow up question is what would you recommend if I may not have access to a "higher power" launch system capable of reliable ignition of a cluster system.

Thanks,

Curtis

The Estes D12-3 is the same size as the single use E15-4 and the reloadable 24mm casing for D's and E's. You can go with a single 24mm mount and be able to use several different motors.

If this wasn't your first build in so many years, I'd recommend to modify it for a removable motor mount so that you could swap in whatever type of motor combination you like. I'd still recommend it if you can get some good pictures or maybe even find a club member with one already modified so you can see what needs to be done.

As for clustering, the simplest way is to use a plain jane launch system with 12v battery, whether it is a car, motorcycle, lawnmower, makes no difference. You can get fancy with relays, but it really isn't needed until you start working at longer distances from the pad.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
What I have found extremely useful is the small vise I got in the same order this spring.

I like the swivel section. That part would make a very nice launch pad head

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I like the swivel section. That part would make a very nice launch pad head

Doug

It sure would.