Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Tim....I wouldn't worry about it too much. I still haven't seen a post where the application was to be used that stated to use epoxy but he wanted to use glue...
Old 10-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

Even "Elmers School Glue" is strong enough as long as you prepare the surface for it. Choose whatever glue you want based on its setting characteristics and start building.

I've always had balsa and/or paper breakage with the glue bond holding strong, regardless of white or wood glue. I've even witnessed HPR rockets built with wood glue that held together just fine...proving that the "person who's name shall not be mentioned" was right on at least one subject.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Too young to be a BAR

I got a rocket from http://www.artapplewhite.com/free.html and it says to fill the nose cone with 5-minute epoxy. I dont have epoxy and the white glue is what is available
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

He probably wants the nose cone filled with epoxy because it needs nose weight of the epoxy to be stable.
You absolutely CANNOT use white/titebond glue to do this for two reasons:
1) it does not weigh anywhere near what the same mass of epoxy weighs.
2) white/titebond glue contains about 50% water by weight which evaporates leaving one with even less weight.

For this kit you must fill the nose cone with epoxy; if not available locally you will ned to order it and have it shipped to you.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-15-2007, 03:56 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
There's a lot of conflicting information on this on the web, evidently. Some sites say "yellow glue is PVA". Others say it's "Aliphatic Resin". Still others say it's both...

I'm not a glue expert, but my quoted post above was how I understood things to be, at least until now that I'm bewildered...

I do know many woodwookers prefer white glue (PVA) due to it's long open time, and use it for things like gluing up table tops...

-Tim

It *IS* both.

both are polyvinyl acetate emulsions (see the MSDS for each). The resins used in each are different for different properties (tackiness, set up time, weatherproofing). Even between the various yellow glues there are different resins, especially for the "weatherproof" ones.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_O_G
I got a rocket from http://www.artapplewhite.com/free.html and it says to fill the nose cone with 5-minute epoxy. I dont have epoxy and the white glue is what is available

Yep...alot of discussion about different glues but all miss the point of the original question. In this instance, you DO NOT want to use white glue or yellow glue. The epoxy in the nose cone is to add weight to the forward end of the model. There must be a stability issue with the model. Adding the weight at the nose moves the CG (center of gravity) forward to a point where it's in front of the CP (center of pressure) which in turn provides for a stable flight (assuming everything else is ok). If you don't have or can't get the epoxy, ask Art how much weight you are talking about and add the weight using modeling clay.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I'm just about certain he's building a 13mm Six. I used 5 min. epoxy in all the ones I built or helped build, and in all cases the epoxy soaked through the 110# paper we were using, even though I've read online that 5 min. epoxy doesn't do that. Hah. The last one we built, we coated the inside with several coats of acrylic varnish before putting the epoxy in, but even that model has discoloration of the cone from the epoxy leaking through.

Flies great, but deployment is always an issue for us. Haven't had a non-lawndart landing yet (but the epoxy weight and strength means you get a nice hole in the ground ).
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 10-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Too young to be a BAR

The instructions say not to use modeling clay in place of the epoxy and I am using cardstock.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_O_G
The instructions say not to use modeling clay in place of the epoxy and I am using cardstock.

Yep...you definitely don't want to use the clay with card stock.....
Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Oh, don't get me wrong... for that model (if, indeed, you are building a Six), you really have no choice but epoxy.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org