Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Too young to be a BAR

Default Rocket size

Can a rocket be to big for a launch system?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_O_G

It can be too big for a launch pad, but not for the launch controller as long as it isn't a cluster.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Master Modeler

Yes, for sure.

Your standard Estes / Quest launcher can handle most "street legal" standard model rockets (under 1 lb.), especially if you weigh down or anchor the legs.

When you start dealing with bigger midpower models (under what is sometimes referred to as FAA 101 limits, 3.3 lbs and G power) you'll probably want something sturdier and more stable.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:

Now, I know in the past, when I've answered your question based on the way it's written, you actually mean something else. What is your definition of a system?

To me it includes the launch pad and the electrical system for actually launching the rocket.

You can have a rocket that fits the pad okay but requires more electrical current for it's motor than a regular motor (normally, four AAs for most rocket motors up through D, no clusters; anything bigger you should look at using a 12v system). No harm done, the rocket just won't ignite...unless you are clustering, then you can have a partial ignition and the rocket flys off balance....yeah, potential hurt there.

Now, the rocket may be okay for the electrical but too big for the pad. Shouldn't try to launch a 6 foot rocket from a 3 foot launch rod (yeah, I hear you guys screaming....I launch my mean machine from a 4 foot rod ). It may not reach enough speed for stable flight in 36" (or 48 for that matter) or it could encounter rod tipping (the rocket "whips" the rod because the rocket is going one way while the rod is trying to keep it going straight).

So, yes, the rocket can be too big for the launch system.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Too young to be a BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Now, I know in the past, when I've answered your question based on the way it's written, you actually mean something else. What is your definition of a system?

To me it includes the launch pad and the electrical system for actually launching the rocket.

You can have a rocket that fits the pad okay but requires more electrical current for it's motor than a regular motor (normally, four AAs for most rocket motors up through D, no clusters; anything bigger you should look at using a 12v system). No harm done, the rocket just won't ignite...unless you are clustering, then you can have a partial ignition and the rocket flys off balance....yeah, potential hurt there.

Now, the rocket may be okay for the electrical but too big for the pad. Shouldn't try to launch a 6 foot rocket from a 3 foot launch rod (yeah, I hear you guys screaming....I launch my mean machine from a 4 foot rod ). It may not reach enough speed for stable flight in 36" (or 48 for that matter) or it could encounter rod tipping (the rocket "whips" the rod because the rocket is going one way while the rod is trying to keep it going straight).

So, yes, the rocket can be too big for the launch system.

You answered my question the way I needed it!!

So I can't launch a Blue Ninja off of an alpha lll starter kit?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
You answered my question the way I needed it!!

So I can't launch a Blue Ninja off of an alpha lll starter kit?

yes you can and if you had asked that full question in the first place we could have provided you with a FASTER answer that more accurately answered your specific question.

Estes designed this kit to be launched from their standard launch pad, but they expect you to buy a "maxi-rod". That is a 3/16" diameter rod that they sell for way too much money. Buy a 4 foot long 3/16" diameter steel rod at Home Depot for between 3 and 4 dollars.

the standard Estes pad accommodates the 1/8" diameter ("normal") rod in one slot or a 3/16" diameter ("maxi") rod in the other slot.

It is always a good suggestion to put a weight on one or two of the launch pad legs to prevent movement or tipping. This can be a big rock, a brick or even a milk or water jug with water in it.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Too young to be a BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
yes you can and if you had asked that full question in the first place we could have provided you with a FASTER answer that more accurately answered your specific question.

Estes designed this kit to be launched from their standard launch pad, but they expect you to buy a "maxi-rod". That is a 3/16" diameter rod that they sell for way too much money. Buy a 4 foot long 3/16" diameter steel rod at Home Depot for between 3 and 4 dollars.

the standard Estes pad accommodates the 1/8" diameter ("normal") rod in one slot or a 3/16" diameter ("maxi") rod in the other slot.

It is always a good suggestion to put a weight on one or two of the launch pad legs to prevent movement or tipping. This can be a big rock, a brick or even a milk or water jug with water in it.

Well, if I ask an unclear question first then I can get more information out of you guys than if I ask the full question first, also I just forgot the name of the starter kit.

Can you get the rods at Wal*mart?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Well, if I ask an unclear question first then I can get more information out of you guys than if I ask the full question first, also I just forgot the name of the starter kit.

Can you get the rods at Wal*mart?

No. Need to go to hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. These are steel rods so you might want some WD40 also to keep them from rusting.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Too young to be a BAR

OK, *sigh*, guess I will have to wait.

There's only a Wal*Mart in town.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
OK, *sigh*, guess I will have to wait.

There's only a Wal*Mart in town.

PM me your address....I'll send you one. Did you get your epoxy? I'll send you some of that also.