Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Master Modeler

My thinking has changed. If I hit the lottery, I wanted to buy estes and make changes, but, I would buy it to get the eninge manufacturing.

I think that my best investment would be in smaller companies, like Semroc, who care about their customers, their needs and give great customer service.

I always wanted to start my own model rocket company, but, i just don't have the capital to do that............darn it!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I think that my best investment would be in smaller companies, like Semroc, who care about their customers, their needs and give great customer service.

When first getting back into rocketry as a BAR I was obsessed with Estes kits. I purchased a ton on ebay and have built many of the classics I either built or wanted to build as a kid.

However I've come to realize that there are other companies out there who, as you point out, care about what customers want and provide outstanding customer service and products. I find myself more and more purchasing from those companies, and Semroc is at the top of that list.

Quote:
I always wanted to start my own model rocket company, but, i just don't have the capital to do that............darn it!!!!

Keep the dream alive RD! You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Master Modeler

By the way RD you did a fantastic job with the Estes forum. It provided a lot of fun and excitement while it lasted.

I think Estes made a huge mistake pulling it down.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
BAR

Quote:
That's the problem, they don't want to know from those who know!!!

Those that know, you know. Don't want to know what you know,because you know more than they know ..... You know what I mean

Oh and my number 1 Bring Back To Estes is...........

VERN ESTES

enough said.

Unless of course, if you win the Lottery

BAR
John
Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
By the way RD you did a fantastic job with the Estes forum. It provided a lot of fun and excitement while it lasted.

I think Estes made a huge mistake pulling it down.

I enjoyed doing the Estes Forum, I put my heart and soal into it for the benefit of my fellow rocketeers.

I fought hard for change, met with much resistance, and went down in flames. At least now, I can be here with my friends and talk rockets.

I'm looking forward to NARAM 50 and the "Sky Of Gold" launch, I had invisioned it going back to 2005.

I thank everyone here for their words of encouragement.....Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
Those that know, you know. Don't want to know what you know,because you know more than they know ..... You know what I mean

Oh and my number 1 Bring Back To Estes is...........

VERN ESTES

enough said.

Unless of course, if you win the Lottery

BAR
John

Amen on that one !!!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
7/21/61

Rocket Doctor,

Could you tell us a little bit about how you started working for Estes?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

If Semroc sold their own engines, they'd be perfect.

Hmm... I know the Chinese have model rocket engine manufacturing facilities, because that's where the engines for the Sky starter kits come from. Any chance a domestic company could arrange to sell those engines (and get them NAR certified, of course)?
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Rocket Doctor,

Could you tell us a little bit about how you started working for Estes?

First of all, I wasn't a regular employee of Estes, rather, a independent marketing consultant. Going back to around 1972, I did a lot of promotion for Estes products with my 4 H rocket club, the Wayne Skyhawks, we made a TV promotional commercial for the Hobby Industry of America, as part of that promotion, it contained segment on model rocket (I used segments from a Cineroc in it), RC airplanes, RC boats, RC cars and crafts. It was filmed at several locations in New Jeersey. i have c sopy of that commercial and it was awarded a bronze award in judging, it was done on 16 mm film, that I had converted over to VHS. It was called "Models In Motion"

I have done other things over the years to promote the hobby in one way or another, I was very much into 4 h and helped out in many counties around the area .

Then, I would do trade shows and educational shows for Estes, in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. ?The New jeersey Science teachers convention, the PA Science Teachers Conventi0on, the East Coast Hobby Show and different schools and organizations.

I also did some project for the marketing department as well.

Finally , I got to review instructions sheets and make suggestions, eventually, I got to write instructions and make changes where needed.

Then, I submitted some of my designs, prototypes for consideration. I had the following designs produced Baby Bertha, Estes No 2 Skywriter, Screamin MiMi, Deluxe Super Shot Screw Machine, Converter and the 36 D squared. I did have four more slated to be produced, but, they were cancelled when the forum shut down.

I wrote many instructions, including all of the X Prize Instructions, Red Max Interceptor and many, many others.

Then in October 2006 I was asked to moderate the new Estes forum, by the end of Dec 2006, the Estes forum was up and running. A huge amout of member joined in the four months that it was runnig, we were up to 650 members, and covered a variety of subjects. Not only Estes rocket releated, but space in general and members own accounts of how they got into the hobby. I didn't want the forum to be so serious, just members being themselves.

A lot of great ideas and information was exchanged and i was trying to make changes for the betterment of everyone. I pushed hard to make a difference for my fellow rocketeers.
But, on April 21st, the forum was pulled down with no explanation, I was shocked, and I was told my services were no longer needed.

Now, I have been involved in other rocketry related projects, which all of you will see in a couple of months in a major publication.

And, I'm looking forward to NARAM 50 and the "Sky Of Gold" launch. I invisioned this going back to 2005, a massive launch, a record setter, with the Scout, painted gold in celebration of the 50th anniveersary of the hobby.

Carl of Senroc picked up on it and we are working hard to make this a reality.
I am working on an article regarding the first liquid fueled rocket engine company in the United States.

My goal, is to continue to promote the hobby, having been in it myself for over 43 years now, it's just a part of me now.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
If Semroc sold their own engines, they'd be perfect.

Hmm... I know the Chinese have model rocket engine manufacturing facilities, because that's where the engines for the Sky starter kits come from. Any chance a domestic company could arrange to sell those engines (and get them NAR certified, of course)?

Quest motors are made in germany. You just never know what is on the horizon as far as black powder motors go, hopefully, 2008 will see competition in this field.