Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2005, 03:53 PM
BAR Crazy about der GOBLIN

Send a message via AIM to Thor
Talking RIP Goblin, long live the next Goblin King and DRM

Well, the Bt55 Original Goblin is gone and we had a heavy rain last night so I am sure the BT is soggy by now in its desert grave (see my other thread Bye Bye Goblin for the maiden flight/lose details). Got in the BT for the Red Max (DRM for my daughter) in standard BT60 format for 18mm Motors and I am now building a replacment Golin in BT60 so it will be a little heavier and bigger than the 1X vapor trail rocket. At 4 ounces projected weight it should do much better than the 1.5 ounce 1X model as far as recovery is concerned. I plan the D12-6 for this one. Sunday is my rocket buidling day so a lot of fun is coming up tomorrow. Finish paint for the DRM will be black cone over red body tube with appropriate decals. The Goblin is going to be a little more pumpkin color rather than the yellow I used before. Hopefully both these rockets will return to earth to be recovered to fly again and again.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Well, the Bt55 Original Goblin is gone and we had a heavy rain last night so I am sure the BT is soggy by now in its desert grave (see my other thread Bye Bye Goblin for the maiden flight/lose details). Got in the BT for the Red Max (DRM for my daughter) in standard BT60 format for 18mm Motors and I am now building a replacment Golin in BT60 so it will be a little heavier and bigger than the 1X vapor trail rocket. At 4 ounces projected weight it should do much better than the 1.5 ounce 1X model as far as recovery is concerned. I plan the D12-6 for this one. Sunday is my rocket buidling day so a lot of fun is coming up tomorrow. Finish paint for the DRM will be black cone over red body tube with appropriate decals. The Goblin is going to be a little more pumpkin color rather than the yellow I used before. Hopefully both these rockets will return to earth to be recovered to fly again and again.

The Squirrel Works Gemlin kit is pretty much identical to the Estes Goblin except it's just about one inch longer. I purchased a Gremlin kit from The Squirrel Works vendor booth at
the recently held Tex-Regional meet in McGregor, TX last month, and just finished building
the kit. Hope to put up a test flight this coming Saturday at the Challenger 498 Section's
club launch at Rushing Park, Katy, TX. Will use a D12-7... AFter several flights I'm hoping to
write a product review on this kit for the EMRR. I sure wish Estes still had the D11-9 motors,
as that was my favorite when I still had my Goblin years back. Don't remember how I lost
it!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 PM
BP Mafia

Aah, Der Goblin. Many fond memories there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Goblin during the tree incident.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  375.4 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Master Modeler

Bill,

That looks so sad!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-22-2005, 07:07 AM
BP Mafia

Not really. I was launching with a friend and he climbed the tree and rescued it. He's quite a bit lighter than I am. It wasn't stuck all that fast.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-22-2005, 03:30 PM
BAR Crazy about der GOBLIN

Send a message via AIM to Thor

My BT60 slight upscale (1.24X) is only 2 ounces so I am getting a little concerned about loosing another one on a D12-5 or 7. These things are awesome fliers. My daughters Screamin Mimi runs around 4.5 ounces and does nicely (not too high or low) on a D12-3. Now I am thinking about getting some C11s so I dont loose it on the maiden flight. That SW Gremlin looks like a fast higher flyer too!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
My BT60 slight upscale (1.24X) is only 2 ounces so I am getting a little concerned about loosing another one on a D12-5 or 7. These things are awesome fliers. My daughters Screamin Mimi runs around 4.5 ounces and does nicely (not too high or low) on a D12-3. Now I am thinking about getting some C11s so I dont loose it on the maiden flight. That SW Gremlin looks like a fast higher flyer too!

Will find out for sure come tomorrow when I fly mine. I'm not fully finished with the painting
(the balsa still needs more fillercoat), so mine will be of the drabby all white color with no
trims.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Will find out for sure come tomorrow when I fly mine. I'm not fully finished with the painting
(the balsa still needs more fillercoat), so mine will be of the drabby all white color with no
trims.

Launch report: Flew the Gremlin at the Challenger 498 Section club launch today at Rushing
Park, Katy, TX. On a D12-7, the Gremlin flew very fast and straight up as advertised, and the
seven second delay smoke trail was clearly visible through ejection. If it wasn't for the mylar streamer that comes with the kit, I would have lost sight of it coming down (must have hit the 1,500 + feet altitude it supposed to reach). Thanks to the fact that there was
very little (or no) wind, the Gremlin landed only about 50 feet from the launch control
station. However, one of the four fins did get slightly damaged on the lower edge/corner on
hitting the grassy ground; perhaps on future flights I'll have to rig the recovery system so the model will fall sideways as a normal Streamer Duration contest model would.

Otherwise a very spectacular flight that caught everyone's attention, and made me feel like
I went back in time to the days when I had fun flying the old Estes Goblin in my early years in
the hobby!
Old 07-23-2005, 07:01 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
However, one of the four fins did get slightly damaged on the lower edge/corner on
hitting the grassy ground; perhaps on future flights I'll have to rig the recovery system so the model will fall sideways as a normal Streamer Duration contest model would.

I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with. My Goblin seemed like it lost a fin on each flight.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with. My Goblin seemed like it lost a fin on each flight.

I did take some 35 mm pics today...already took the film in for developing and should get
them back by Wednesday. After they're posted on the Challenger 498 photo album pages,
I will provide the link for access to view the pics.

The damaged fin isn't that bad. I should be able to just use some micro-fill to reshape that
particular corner and then harden it with thin CA before sanding & sealing. The flight today
with this Gremlin was just a base coat of white paint, as the balsa nosecone needs more
filling & sanding before I fully complete the finish on the whole model.

I don't recall losing the fins on my old Estes Goblin from years ago. I do know I flew it pretty
often, even on the Estes D13's before they were pulled off the market in the early 1970's. I
use the plain Elmer's white glue as it works very well...the carpenter's wood glue (as I learned the hard way) is ok but do not use for the fin fillets! Otherwise, if you use standard
sanding sealer on the wood glue, it will tend to blister and even ruin the appearance of the
fillet. That happened to my vintage Estes V-2 (the BT-55) model.