Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
To fly these bigger rockets you need to first be a member of TRIPOLI or NAR and it would also become very wise to join a Local High Power club. Next you need to become certified to purchase and fly High power rockets. First you need to get your level 1 certification by building a level 1 rocket and flying it successfully on an H motor, of cores you need a Level 2 rocketeer to purchase the motor for you and sign of on you papers that the flight was successful. Once you have your Level 1 certification you can fly H an I as Long as you can get someone that is certified to purchase and watch you fly, To purchase Motors and fly for yourself you need to get a Low Explosive Users Permit (LEUP) as roketflyer had said.
To become Level 2 certified you need to have your Level 1 certification of course, and then follow the steps above as will as take a level 2 test. Next you need to fly this rocket on a J motor, Once you have your Level 2 certification you can use J, K and L motors.
To get Level 3 is very hard and also very expensive, anywhere from 500 dollars and much more. Also keep in mind the larger rockets have a lower success rate, someone once told me 60 to 70 percent rate of success. And you also need to have a TAP member to sign off on your flight for one thing. You will need documentation with photo’s showing your construction with the Center of Pursuer and Center of Gravity shown on the papers. As any rocketeer should know for a rocket to fly stable the Center of Gravity has to be above of the Center of Pursuer or the rocket will crash. You need of course to fly an M motor, and the rocket has to perform the way it’s supposed to. And one more note you have to use electronic ejection, for M motors and above do not use motor ejection.

One more note you have to have an FAA waiver to fly High power rockets, so it’s best to go to Local Launches were the Waiver is already taken care of.

On a personal note I am Level 2 certified, as will, as was my Daughter. I certified using my Pterodactyl, and Candy using her 1/5th scale Zoom Broom, Shown here with my 1/3rd scale Andromeda. Also My Grandson Jacob with my (or as he says my Rocket Grandpa), the Praying Mantis, taken 3 years ago.

Arley

Haven't seen you on here for awhile, how are you doing?

RD
Old 04-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP
Hi all,

I was poking around on the internet and found this:

http://www.polecataerospace.com/nike_smoke_10.htm

That page is copyrighted in '03, but do people actually FLY model rockets that are 11' long???

If you haven't seen it already, here is a KIT for a FULL-SIZED replica of the Nike Smoke:

http://www.performancerocketry.com/nikesmoke16.html

Have you got 3 large to spend on a rocket kit?

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
If you haven't seen it already, here is a KIT for a FULL-SIZED replica of the Nike Smoke:

http://www.performancerocketry.com/nikesmoke16.html

Have you got 3 large to spend on a rocket kit?

Mark

Just noticed their full scale ARCAS and Astrobee-D fin cans! Cool!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Will Rocket Doctor
I have been having some problems, and believe me raising a 7 Year old grandson by myself at my age is not easy, especially one that has ADHD, put he’s still my boy.

Also it’s been hard because of my Disability, I am considered Legally blind, I have 20/70 vision, so I can not get to High Power launches, or finding someone to take us to our club meetings for I am not allowed to drive at night. The worst thank is It’s hard to work on rockets, put with a magnifying glass I get by.

A couple of months ago I finished the Estes Stealth, as will as some of the easy Estes rockets. The Canaroc Warlock I put on hold after it was broken in the move. I have been working on a clone of the Centuri E.S.S. Raven, super kit, and the Estes Orbital Transport re-release kit that came out a couple of years ago.
I would take some pictures put I don’t have a camera, and what good would it be with my eyesight, maybe I can talk my brother into taking some pictures for me then I can post them in Ye Old rocket shop.

Here is a photo sent to me, taken last year at one of our club’s Low Power launches, Jacob and me our on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Jacob and me at  the Low Power Launch.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  57.0 KB  
Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Master Modeler

Great photo Arley
Good luck with your rocketry projects and when you can post more pics

RD
Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 PM
NAR/TRA L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP
That page is copyrighted in '03, but do people actually FLY model rockets that are 11' long???

Here are some photos of the 11ft tall, 6" dia IQSY Tomahawk I scratch-built for my NAR L3 flight (AMW M1350WW motor)...
http://photos.thrustgear.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=8

I still fly lots of smaller rockets too.

-John DeMar

Last edited by jsdemar : 04-21-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:11 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdemar
Here are some photos of the 11ft tall, 6" dia IQSY Tomahawk I scratch-built for my NAR L3 flight (AMW M1350WW motor)...

-John DeMar

Yes they do and some even larger in height and diameter. That's what high power rocketry is all about.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:

-John DeMar

Great rocket! OK, so let's have the details. Scale? LOW? Avionics? Max altitude of your L3 flight? Terms of the 3rd mortgage that you took out to finance it?

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
NAR/TRA L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Great rocket! OK, so let's have the details. Scale? LOW? Avionics? Max altitude of your L3 flight? Terms of the 3rd mortgage that you took out to finance it?

It's around 2/3rds Scale and about 40 pounds without motor. For electronics, I used an RDAS and a Perferctflite MAWD. Altitude was 6500ft, 9.5g's, 700mph max. I flew it at NYPOWER in Geneseo, NY with the old rocket gang last July (my son and I drove there from NM!).

I started working on it in 2002 when I lived near Syracuse, NY. Here's a webpage I did back then... http://thrustgear.com/IQSY/html/

Some of the parts I got through bartering. The nosecone was $70. Tubes were from PML and Giant Leap. The 10ft parachute is a $30 "play chute" (like kids use in a gym, with handles on it). Dave at Quickburst.net sewed the extension lines on for me. I also got the deployment bag and chute protectors from Quickburst.

The motor casing was loaned from AMW. I got an Aerotech reload from a friend here in Las Cruces (bartered), but when I got to NYPOWER, the AMW guys swapped it for an M1350WW motor. It was a low-key prep and flight. Last flight of the weekend just before the waiver closed. I guess this goes back to my NAR contest flying days where I'd usually end up procrastinating and making the last flight of the event.

The paint job isn't quite finished, so I'll work on that this Spring and try an encore (with an EX motor, to save some money).

-John DeMar
Old 04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:

-John DeMar

John

IS that conical cone made from a mold ? or glassed over a foam plug or similar ?

if made from a mold that still exists, any chance of aquiring one, lol .... one of the things keeps putting me off on my original L# ( full scale BB3 ) is the nose.. although I now have a foam one 80% ready for glassing, just I'm no expert on glassing ( yet or ever, lol - that's what our Rattler 7 was for, glass practice, funny how the ugly / quick and dirty ones become favorites / icons

~ AL

( who does have a 'backup' L3 in the works, might fly by NYPower or maybe NARAM 50 .. depends on my work ethic, which is not always good, lol )