Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Thanks for posting the plans, Ryan!
After downloading the plans, I see that the main body tube for this C11/D12-powered bird is BT-55W... which I *can't* seem to find listed here at Ninfinger:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/body_tubes.html

Personally, I wonder if it's the 18" tube simply called... BT-55. But then again, I could be wrong.

(Shyeah, *right.*)

"A little help, here... *Please?*"

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 08-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Don't Save the Rocket-Eating Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Heh, I have a number of them you sent me already to post. I still have scans of Larry Rice's to post as well.

Scott, (& everyone else)
If you haven't done do, please download the plans right now for this kit and the Thunder Hawk. I am leaving for Texas next week and will be canceling my internet service. This means the page I am currently storing them on will be shortly nuked. Once I get establised out there I will look to see what my new service will be like and will try to get them reposted as soon as possible.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniell
Scott, (& everyone else)
If you haven't done do, please download the plans right now for this kit and the Thunder Hawk. I am leaving for Texas next week and will be canceling my internet service. This means the page I am currently storing them on will be shortly nuked. Once I get establised out there I will look to see what my new service will be like and will try to get them reposted as soon as possible.

I've got everything here that you've posted so far, Ryan. Thanks, and good luck with the move.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-13-2005, 04:42 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
After downloading the plans, I see that the main body tube for this C11/D12-powered bird is BT-55W... which I *can't* seem to find listed here at Ninfinger:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/body_tubes.html

Personally, I wonder if it's the 18" tube simply called... BT-55. But then again, I could be wrong.

(Shyeah, *right.*)

"A little help, here... *Please?*"

Cheers,

--Jay

Well, it's most certainly not the 18" version...

I just took a quick measurement of my one copy of that cone, and found it to be 3.75". Next, I measured the outline given for the fins, and found the overhang to be about 1/2" past the rear edge of the tube (this is going to be a fudge-figure, not exactly accurate...).

Now, taking the catalog measurement for the completed rocket as reasonably accurate, since I don't have any way to confirm it or deny it, the length is 15.40". Subtracting 3.75", I get 11.65"; subtracting out the fin overhang as just a hair over 0.5" gives me a more-likely figure of 11.125" for the body tube.

I hope someone can get a better scan of the fin, and an accurate measurement of the tube. The shape in the plan set doesn't fully match the shape drawn in the plans on page 2. I've found that Estes usually drew these reference images pretty close to being accurate, although smaller than full-size. When I enlarged that image, the shapes were not the same. Close, but no pickle.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Well, it's most certainly not the 18" version...

I just took a quick measurement of my one copy of that cone, and found it to be 3.75". Next, I measured the outline given for the fins, and found the overhang to be about 1/2" past the rear edge of the tube (this is going to be a fudge-figure, not exactly accurate...).

Now, taking the catalog measurement for the completed rocket as reasonably accurate, since I don't have any way to confirm it or deny it, the length is 15.40". Subtracting 3.75", I get 11.65"; subtracting out the fin overhang as just a hair over 0.5" gives me a more-likely figure of 11.125" for the body tube.

I hope someone can get a better scan of the fin, and an accurate measurement of the tube. The shape in the plan set doesn't fully match the shape drawn in the plans on page 2. I've found that Estes usually drew these reference images pretty close to being accurate, although smaller than full-size. When I enlarged that image, the shapes were not the same. Close, but no pickle.

The tube is 12" according to the guy who sent me the scans. I thought the "WASPmeasurements" text file was included in the zip file I uploaded? No??

As for the fins, if you look on page 2 each of the three fins they illustrate look to be significantly different from each other. Especially the two fins that are the largest (closest to your view). See how in the leftmost fin, the edge opposite to the root edge is bigger than the edge adjacent to the root edge. In the rightmost fin it is vice-versa.

I think the most maddening case of innacurate fin drawings in the instructions was the Galactic Taxi. If you've ever built one of those.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
As for the fins, if you look on page 2 each of the three fins they illustrate look to be significantly different from each other. Especially the two fins that are the largest (closest to your view). See how in the leftmost fin, the edge opposite to the root edge is bigger than the edge adjacent to the root edge. In the rightmost fin it is vice-versa.

Actually, my reference is to page 1 where all the parts are shown. I think I miss-named page 1 and 2 in the .zip file. My Bad.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Red face Reading the "fine print"

Quote:
The tube is 12" according to the guy who sent me the scans. I thought the "WASPmeasurements" text file was included in the zip file I uploaded? No??
I was browsing those files with a photo program, which (of course) ignored the text files. But I see the measurements for the foil wrap are included, too.

Sorry, and cheers,

--Jay
Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Rough RockSim file & picture

I'll need to re-edit this message later. Here you go in the meantime.

Cheers,

--Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Wasp_Estes1930.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  61.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wasp_1930.zip (7.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
The tube is 12" according to the guy who sent me the scans. I thought the "WASPmeasurements" text file was included in the zip file I uploaded?

Text file...?

Who reads stinkin' text files...?

(A Brief Pause for simulated emphasis...)

...Oh, THAT text file...!

Quote:

Perspective drawing was always my weak spot in archetectural drafting class back in HS. I was looking at the fin outline where Estes was identifying the edges. I find these to be usually dead-on, they're just not to scale.

Once again, catalog length and production length seem to be two diametrically opposed concepts...

Mounted the way the plans show, the final length of the model comes to about 16.25", since there's still about a half-inch trailing the edge of the tube.

What we could use is a scan of the fin sheet from an unbuilt kit, with the edges marked in ink...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Red face "We don't READ no steenkeeng text files!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Text file...?

Who reads stinkin' text files...?

(A Brief Pause for simulated emphasis...)

...Oh, THAT text file...!

(sedate high five) You and me both.

--Jay