Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Master Modeler

Default Astron Scrambler

Can anyone confirm these dimensions for the old Scrambler payload section? The dimensions given in the Estes Custom Parts Catalog is incorrect (at least compared to the one original section I have), but I think the dimensions for the nose cone shoulder is correct. So taking that, you get the ID to be 1.796".

I am also trying to measure the thickness with a micrometer but I keep getting between 0.008 and 0.009 inches thick. I don't know if it varies a little or if it might be 0.0085 or something.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:09 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
Can anyone confirm these dimensions for the old Scrambler payload section? The dimensions given in the Estes Custom Parts Catalog is incorrect (at least compared to the one original section I have), but I think the dimensions for the nose cone shoulder is correct. So taking that, you get the ID to be 1.796".

I am also trying to measure the thickness with a micrometer but I keep getting between 0.008 and 0.009 inches thick. I don't know if it varies a little or if it might be 0.0085 or something.

Thanks.

I don't have one now to compare to, but the main catalog values for the PST-65 were consistant over the years and were ID=1.750", OD=1.796", wall thickness 0.023".
Those values are much more reasonable than the ones in the Custom Parts Catalog. Remember that the whole point of the Scrambler was for it to be able to be used with a Large hen's egg, which simply won't fit into a BT-60.

The Custom Parts Catalog on Ninfinger has some problems.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Rocket Huckster

Kurt Bill at BMS has turned several Scrambler parts for me, He might even still have the original numbers.

This Clone was built using Parts supplied by BMS

I have 2 original Scramblers still in the bag and the parts from BMS are identical to the originals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Scrambler4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  47.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scrambler3.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  47.7 KB  
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
Kurt Bill at BMS has turned several Scrambler parts for me, He might even still have the original numbers.

This Clone was built using Parts supplied by BMS

I have 2 original Scramblers still in the bag and the parts from BMS are identical to the originals.

does BMS offer the Scrambler pieces as 'ready to go ' ?

checked the site and did not see the cone or the transition section .

what about the clear tube ? sources for that ?

~ AL

The Scrambler was my most wanted kit as a youngster, ever since I wsaw the last one on the racks at the hobby shop, missed that one, took me years to find one, at a premium cost to boot, I built the vintage one :-) , and it flew once ( carrying a Herb Desind Cineroc, no less ), then was retired.
I;m not afraid of flying it, but would feel a lot better if I knew there were parts ( or better yet, had a spare ) :-)
Old 09-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Master Modeler

[QUOTE=Green Dragon]does BMS offer the Scrambler pieces as 'ready to go ' ?

checked the site and did not see the cone or the transition section .

what about the clear tube ? sources for that ?

~ AL

I sent him the Scrambler parts a while back (way back), and IIRC those are the ones he is making dupes from. I would ask if he has them available. The transition is not unique so you can use the semi-custom order sheet to get that, only the nose cone is "special".

I am working on getting some duplicate payload sections made. They would be identical to the original spiral-wound Mylar ones Estes sold. I'll let you know when they are due to arrive.

The very first Scramblers were sold with different payload sections. They were like today's parts that are "solid" plastic, not spiral-wound. I found a few in a very old hobby shop (now closed) that had a chest of drawers filled with original Estes parts from the mid sixties. We cleaned that place out eventually before they went belly up.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:42 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

sounds ok, will drop BMS a note and inquire.

and please * DO * let me ( and the list, I imagine, lol ) know on the tubes if you get those.

of note is my original Scrambler kit does have the spiral wound payload tube.

final note, if you do get the tubes, I dug through my spare parts, and no adapter , used to have a few of those, but sold one,lost one on a Scrambler clone with handrolled papaer payload tube - but I did find a TA55-65 , not sure what it's useful for, but I have one, lol....

~ AL
Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

If you look here:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...Parts.asp?ID=38

you'll see that Carl has part #'s for a lot of the Scrambler parts.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Junior Rocketeer

One potential source of clear payload tubes might be the protective tubular covers for flourescent light fixtures.

I have yet to try it, and don't have the parts on hand now, but I remember "back in the day" thinking the tube I was installing at the grocery store was the same diameter.

You would of course have to cut them to length but they're cheap and a single tube would yield many payload sections. If you really wanted to get creative you could build a clear demonstration rocket out of the left-overs (sort of an x-ray model).

There are a variety of suppliers so it would take some research to find an exact fit, but the payoff is you'll finally have the correct material.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Old-Timer

Default Re: Scrambler Clear Patyload Tubes

The Original clear Payload Tubes were 5.0" long. The ones I have are Very easily damaged. The thickness is between .009 and .010" thick. If I can answer any other questions, Just ask!

Glen A.
NAR 26298 L1

Last edited by Rocketking : 07-10-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
If you look here:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...Parts.asp?ID=38

you'll see that Carl has part #'s for a lot of the Scrambler parts.

Scott, I know that there are pages like that for many "potential" kits on Semroc's site (like Jay's Tau Zero, for instance). But where is the link on their site that takes you to those pages?

Thanks!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!